England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #12251 Marcho Gamgee, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Yeah it is a bit unknown but at least we have an U21 manager with plenty of development experience compared to previous managers and I think Ashley Cole is a shrewd move, not just because of his development experience with Chelsea but he’s a big name that could a make difference if we have a few players doubting whether to play for England or not, Duals or players that maybe think there’re too big for the U21’s. Big name to gain experience from, maybe and a pull.

hussar and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    True there looks to be some good positives. The main issue is always how we play, the structure of our team set up and if we select the right options in the right roles.

I am not really sure what to expect.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  3. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I remember him doing a good job at Brentford as a caretaker before Dean Smith arriving, and Brentford usually played good football.
    He should be much better than the Neanderthal football of Boothroyd.

W.A.S.P., roverman and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, Brentford fans seem to speak highly of him so that’s encouraging.

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

hussar repped this.
  6. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    At last we've gone for someone with a development coaching CV rather than someone who's merely after the under 21's as an easy job after some recent management failures. By all accounts he has a very good reputation from his previous clubs.

I doubt it's a well paying job (relative to premier league management anyway) so expectations of the likes of Howe and Lampard were never going to happen. Likewise looking at Europe the other big countries do not have people with great management CV's as coach either.

hussar repped this.
  7. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm a bit excited by this hire along with Ashley Cole. Like Barry said though it all depends on what the structure of the team is. We have the players who know how to attack and keep the ball properly, which is what we need to embrace.

8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    W.A.S.P. and brettspurs repped this.
  9. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

11. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Harwood-Bellis starting tonight for Anderlecht.

12. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Sheff Utd are linked to Garner on loan.
    Not sure what would be better for him, staying and risking fewer game time or back to the Champo. Or maybe a Prem loan?

13. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    A move abroad might suit him best.

hussar and TopBanana10 repped this.
  14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Brandon Williams linked with a loan or even a possible sale to Norwich.
    Ethan Laird linked with a loan to Swansea.

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    #12265 BarryfromEastenders, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    Goalkeeper options.
    Bursik at Stoke. Not sure if he’s been given the starting role?
    Griffiths has been loaned to Lincoln City in League 1.
    James Trafford has been loaned to Accrington Stanley in League 1.
    Carl Rushworth loaned to Walsall in League 2.

Etienne Green has been given the starting role at St Etienne. Obviously we aren’t sure if he will be part of this set up.

roverman repped this.
  16. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    #12266 BarryfromEastenders, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    England U21s return to Stadium MK in September

Stadium MK is set to play host to England Under-21s for a fifth time next month, when the Young Lions face Kosovo in a 2023 UEFA European Under-21 Championship qualifier.

Lee Carsley’s side will head to the home of MK Dons on Tuesday 7 September 2021 for what will be former Everton and Derby County midfielder’s first home match in charge and his competitive debut as head coach of England Under-21s. Kick-off, 7pm.

This new crop of players will be looking to guide England to their ninth successive U21 EURO finals, with the 2023 edition to be staged in Romania and Georgia.

Stadium MK is no stranger to staging England fixtures since it opened in 2007, having previously hosted the Three Lions on seven occasions across the MU21s, MU19s and Women’s senior teams.

The home of MK Dons will also be one of the 10 venues at next year’s UEFA Women’s EURO in England.

Carsley said: “I’m looking forward to taking an England team back to Milton Keynes and the top-class venue that is Stadium MK.

“One of the benefits of the U21s is that we’re able to take the team around the country regularly so this is another great opportunity to showcase the national team to a different community who hopefully come out in force to cheer us on.

“I’m also confident that the fixture won’t disappoint. As they have already proven across their national teams, Kosovo will provide a tough test and it promises to be an entertaining encounter.”

As well as Kosovo, England are placed in qualifying group G alongside Albania, Czech Republic, Slovenia and Andorra.

Before the fixture at Stadium MK, the Young Lions will kick-off the new season with a trip to face tournament co-hosts Romania at the Arcul de Triumf Stadium in Bucharest on Friday 3 September (7pm kick-off UK time).

Tickets for the Stadium MK fixture will go on sale from 10am this Friday (6 August) both online and from the MK Dons Box Office.

https://www.mkdons.com/news/2021/august/england-u21s-return-to-stadium-mk-in-september/

17. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Only slight disappointment is that I’d like to see our lads tested against France, Italy, Spain etc.

18. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Looks like it. O'Neill says that he's decided who'll be starting the season as number 1, and it's Bursik who's been starting in pre-season. I'm quite interested to see how he does this season - he's really come on in the last year or two.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Interesting to see how many England U21 eligible players start the first game in the championship. None started the first game between Bournemouth and West Brom.

21. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Rooney wants Delap at Derby this season.

22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Lee Carsley was at Derby v Huddersfield at the weekend. Colwill, Bird and High started that game.

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Would be a surprise as this position is strong at U21 level -

25. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #12275 Marcho Gamgee, Aug 10, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    Yeah, I think this rumour came about due to an article in The Athletic the other day when they did their annual young Premier League players to look out for this season. The journalist who covered him mentioned about possible U21 call up but to be honest I’m not sure if you can pay much attention to it just yet. Like you, my initial thought was who do he get in ahead off? Presumably the picks for the right backs for the first squad would be Aarons and Livramento? Am I missing someone else, I know Lamptey is currently injured. So maybe he’s third in line which I guess would make him under consideration for a call up so it might not be that far off after all on second thoughts especially if an injury occurs to the named players above.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.