England Under 21 Discussions Thread (2002+ born) #8

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I stand by my judgment that Wharton will be in the full England squad by the end of the year. He's been awarded palace's best player every match so far bar yesterday where he came third. Even against city he stood out. He's the perfect number 6. He can see passes very few players can and his control in tight spaces is exemplary. We sold him for pittance. He'll be worth 50 million or more in a year

3. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Fair play mate you did say he was destined for big things early on, not sure an England senior call up is on the cards this calendar year, think he could benefit with a campaign with Carsley in the 21s. We haven’t had a quality left footed central midfielder in the Seniors for quite some time, so I’m all for it in the long term.

Marcho Gamgee, LUFCGGRAY and roverman repped this.
  4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Harvey Elliott with another impactful display from the bench.

I feel It is getting ignored a bit how well this age group is doing at club level. I don’t recall having this many options at U21 level doing well at club level at this stage of an U21 campaign. Maybe a mix of talent and them being provided with the right opportunity to perform by their clubs.

hussar, roverman and LUFCGGRAY repped this.
  5. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Unlucky hes in era where the midfield options are this crazy. I mean the senior team could start with 2 U21 players in their midfield in the Euros.

roverman repped this.
  6. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    If Saka were to get injured we could do worse than taking Harvey Elliott as a replacement. He's not too dissimilar to Saka when he plays on the right wing in terms of what he offers with ball retention and creativity.

Long-term he's a central midfielder but he still contributes a lot off the right.

hussar, roverman and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  7. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He'll have to break into the U21 starting XI first.

roverman repped this.
  8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    He will. He's a better player than Morton who partnered him at rovers

9. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

10. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Mentions he has a Spanish passport. I do wonder how long it will be until he switches to Spain if he moves there.

11. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    You always just automatically assume we're going to lose every single dual national battle :laugh:

roverman, Marcho Gamgee and hussar repped this.
  12. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Spain are not Ireland. He needs to improve a lot to be in contention for England or Spain.

roverman repped this.
  13. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Central midfield is continuously Spain's strongest position, Patino would be nowhere near their under 21s right now. I don't think he'd even make the "development squad" for the England side at the moment either. To be honest I think his qualities on the ball have been vastly overrated, he's not actually that good in possession and he's so painfully slow off the ball its always going to be a struggle for him in England.

roverman repped this.
  14. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Why on earth would Spain need him? He is not good enough for the Championship at the moment.

roverman repped this.
  15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fireburn is a bloodhound sniffing out any players with grandparents from abroad

roverman repped this.
  16. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

17. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

18. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Nice to see Bynoe Gittens get a well deserved start for Dortmund after an impressive performance off the bench in the UCL midweek against Atletico.

roverman and Fireburn47 repped this.
  19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Jonathan Rowe returned for Norwich today. Apparently had a very positive impact.

Philogene with 11 league goals now and 6 assists this season.

Jay Stansfield with 12 league goals and 2 assists. Big games for him in a relegation battle.

Then you have Madueke and Rogers in the PL.

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

roverman repped this.
  21. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018

Good performance from Wharton. Palace's style means he's not on the ball as much as you'd like, which is a shame. Watching the game and the key difference between him and an average player like Hughes is his touch and composure. I think the reservation I'd have at the moment is his intensity. He does seem to have a more languid style, although his high tackle stats suggest he's got good anticipation.

roverman repped this.
  22. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I know it's premiership but it's not his debut season. Typical epl ignorance. He was superb Last season too.

23. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    That was one of the criticisms at rovers. He's too laid back. Certain players can get away with it. I think he's one of them

24. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    With England playing with better players he'll flourish. Looking forward too seeing a midfield of Bellingham rice and Wharton. Mainoo Is also another one I'm looking forward too. We have some real talent coming through in midfield. A far cry from 4 or 5 years ago

25. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I've seen some criticism of him online from these (mostly self-proclaimed) tactical experts that off the ball he has some issues. In a setup like Palace have where the team is more compact then these issues are more compensated for. The challenge for him would be in a more expansive team with greater spaces allowed for the opposition. That said for his age he's certainly impressing and I think it would be a surprise at this point if he never played for England seniors.

roverman repped this.