England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    That is not the same at all though tbh

2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Lets agree to disagree. We will never see eye to eye on him

3. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Yep I’d agree on Trippier at LB ...I’m sure there are better options but Southgate will stick with who he knows .

It will be his downfall.. thankfully

Sooner we instal Graham Potter in charge the better

He’s supposedly a tactical genius ( Potter)

4. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Souness would have got 50 red cards in todays football. Rice has quite easily been Englands best midfielder in the last 2 years. If you can't see that then you either have an agenda against him or you are Stevie Wonder.

roverman repped this.
  5. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #7930 Fireburn47, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Potter needs to improve his teams tendency to peak for big hyped games while struggle against smaller teams. Otherwise if that happens while he is England a manager qualification will be a tense process. Once he does that he will be pretty good.

And they are not a lot of experienced options anyway. Mitchell and Henry don’t strike me as World Cup winning left backs quite yet. Even the best managers can’t always win international tournaments on Tactics alone if their are not the players with both the talent and form available.

6. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I just appreciate good , technical footballers.. he’s neither

7. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Well Stevie we'll have to agree to disagree then.

roverman repped this.
  8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Hes actually very good technically. U don't keep possession as well as he does if u aren't technically good. U just want players who can do silly flicks and a hundred stepovers. Xavi wasn't a player who stood out technically but he could keep the ball and move it forward

9. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I’d say that Rice is competent as regards technique ... at best

He keeps the ball because he’s 6’ 2” of muscle and bone and plays with his elbows out .. I bet everyone can think of one big lad at school who used his size to bully his way through games and when they were running through with the ball everyone got out of his way ... that’s Rice

:)

10. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I wonder how many players have played development matches and then three months later are training at the world cup. It’s what Chilwell will have to do if he makes the squad.

11. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Currently our squad is in total disarray

The defence is non existent as regards the premier league .. now Chilwell isn’t gonna get many games at LB

We have players like Phillips, Gallagher , Smith -Rowe , getting a few minutes at the end of the game

Rashford , Sancho and a few others are out of form

Kane has been woeful in the first two games

Only Reese James is in any kind of form

On top of that we will be playing our all energy game in blistering heat with bladdy Southgate at the helm

12. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Foden looked pretty good on Saturday.

13. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Left back options are

Shaw
    Chilwell
    Mitchell
    Cresswell
    Sessegnon
    Saka (if we play a 5 which we probably will) he’s played this position for club and country plenty of times before.
    Trippier

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Rico Henry?

AJ123 repped this.
  15. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #7940 Fireburn47, Aug 15, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    I can’t see Southgate wanting Cresswell after he got sent of twice during the knockouts of the Europa league.

16. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Sessegon is a good outside bet to get in. Plays for a top manager whos team is on the up and has also played for England youth levels.

17. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I feel that if Southgate feels the likes of Gallagher and Guehi are not ready until the euros he will likely feel the same about Sessegon and will prefer Trippier or Saka to play there if needs be. Through Sessegon will likely be starting some of spurs champions league matches pre World Cup which is a pretty high level and shows experience.

18. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    He’s never impressed me at all ..

Head he doesn’t really impress going forward or defending so what’s the point ?

19. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    It would be typical of Southgate to play our best right winger ( Saka) at left back after he’s played the last few years on the right wing :)

20. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I'm not saying Sessegon will get in. But Its a position we're short in and theres always someone from left field that gets in world cup squads.

21. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Normally they tend to get called up in the March (TAA last time being an exception through he did train with the squad for a session in the March meet up) which would be the September this time around. But lack of pre World Cup friendlies makes integrating surprise call ups harder a bit harder. You could have the situation of players making their debuts at the World cup itself.

22. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  23. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Does anyone impress u

24. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    When you have players of the quality of Foden, Bowen, Sancho and Sterling to play on the right using a guy as talented as Saka as a LWB, a position that he's played plenty is a pragmatic compromise. That is if the likes of Shaw and Chilwell are not in good situations.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  25. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Loads

Jack Grealish :)

Then in no particular order ( or are they )

TAA
    Ben White
    Bellingham
    Ramsey
    Maddison
    Saka
    Bowen ( last season )
    Coady
    Phillips ( for Leeds when fit )
    Sancho ( last season)
    Henderson ( Liverpool)
    Smith Rowe