England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    We finished second didn't we? I think

2. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Third, but 10 points ahead of Iceland in fourth.

TopBanana10 and roverman repped this.
  3. Toosaul

Toosaul Member

Aug 28, 2011
    He looks incredible. Some of those passes though.

4. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Thanks bud. Was getting myself a bit confused. Is the draw for next groupings in December?

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, he’s got so much more to his game than just a another wide man that beats his man as his main weapon. He has really good vision with his through balls and his link up play around the penalty area with others is also really impressive. Just really frustrating that he wasn’t used as much as he should have been by Southgate during the Euro’s and during the final in my opinion when he was needed.

Toosaul and roverman repped this.
  6. Toosaul

Toosaul Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Absolutely, unbelievable we played Mount on the right and then kept him on when it just wasn't happening for him. It's maddening to have these players and then use them so infrequently. Marcho so you think he will change going forward? I don't think we will ever play to our strengths under Southgate. So defensive, so slow to make changes when the momentum is against us.

RobTheFool repped this.
  7. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I’d like to think so but I doubt it to be honest and in some ways he would be justified to go the same way since he got us to our first final in my lifetime so it would be hard to be really critical of him. However, you would just like to think his in game management in certain situations would be more proactive and braver when it really needs to be but I just have this feeling his pragmatic side will mean we will probably be having these similar discussions again in the future.

8. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He was two missed penalties (or a bundled in set piece) away from handing England our first tournament win since the 60's. If he changes then the change won't be radical. I would instinctively like to see us play differently, but he has a great deal of reason on his side.

France won the World Cup by being conservative, Portugal the Euros before that, and even in this tournament we reach the final that way and Italy edge past Spain essentially parking the bus for most of the game. In truth, the only time a team ever seems to win a tournament without being very, very solid is if they just have a comfortably stronger squad than everyone else, which England doesn't have.

Gaz811 and roverman repped this.
  9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I really hated that we pushed mount left and Sterling to his weaker right and then didn’t pay sancho till very late

Southgate has done a lot of good things but may of wasted our best chance of winning

RobTheFool and Toosaul repped this.
  10. Toosaul

Toosaul Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Marcho I agree we will be having these discussions again. But that is why I don't find it hard to be critical. Southgate deserves a ton of credit for turning us into a tournament team. I love him as a man but for me the similarities of the 2018 Croatia exit and the Italy exit show he hasn't and will never learn. Score early and then defend for our lifes. We had a the best start we could have hoped for and just handed back the initiative. Far too slow to make changes, despite having a much stronger team then in 2018, and then the actual changes he did make....

Those moments are never coming back. Our tournament record is terrible for various reasons so the fact we got this far is progress, but when you factor in the talent we have and the fact it was a home tournament. I think we should be looking for more.

Jenks I don't mind us defending a lead but not the way we did it for the entire game. No patterns of play, no counters. Grealish and Sancho sitting on the bench. Its hard to take. The what if's are horrible.

RobTheFool and roverman repped this.
  11. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Really would love to see this up front:

RW: Sancho
    CAM: Foden
    LW: Grealish
    ST: Kane

roverman repped this.
  12. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Although I do generally agree with this, it must be said that Spain were not clinical. Any team that can create that kind of pressure is going to get the better of the chances. The odds will favor them and it's really just a matter of getting it in. Even Italy struggled in the final to England a bit partly because of Immobile, he was very poor on the night, but Chiesa was threatening enough where he really could have scored a couple before Italy finally had scored. Italy were better poised to win the game. That's the danger with this approach.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  13. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010

If he does sign it’s fantastic news for England

TopBanana10 repped this.
  14. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Agreed. Especially if he’s played as an 8.

sharpovic repped this.
  15. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Moving to a different club isn't going to change the characteristic of how he plays or make Southgate more confident in using a player like that.

16. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Pep is arguably the greatest coach in history and would be working with him full time. Of course he can make him a better player.

17. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    More pressure on Southgate to play him. If he’s starting in the middle for city southgate will look silly not to play him

W.A.S.P., roverman and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Joe Gomez was back for Liverpool tonight, he came on as a second half substitute. Hopefully he can now stay injury free and discover his pre injury form.

roverman repped this.
  19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I really hope we sign him, he needs to be playing in the best competitions to showcase his talents otherwise I think Southgate will just use him sparingly and has an excuse to if he stays at Villa despite how good he plays for them when you have others like Mount playing against the best opponents.

roverman and sharpovic repped this.
  20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    He has to leave villa if he's serious about staying in with Southgate. If he can perform in the champions league Southgate will find it hard to ignore him

21. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I like Gomez a lot but I do have severe concerns at this point that he's ever going to be able to maintain any fitness. He's had what, 4 serious and long term injuries since joining Liverpool now? And now missed what should have been the first two tournaments of his England career.

Shame because he'd be a real asset if he was fit and on form. Potentially our best centre back.

22. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    Sancho performed in the CL for years and Southgate ignored him

23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Ben White to Arsenal now confirmed!

24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Rashford out of the upcoming qualifiers -

25. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Probably for the best to be honest as he really needs to sort out this injury otherwise it will just be a reoccurring injury and will be hard for him to get back to his best.