England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    No West Hams first ;)

2. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    so have we won the FA Cup today then?

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I think it’s focused on gaining the big non-European TV deals and an assumption that European football will be dragged along kicking and screaming. It’s basically franchising the clubs off completely. Matches outside Europe would be possible (they always wanted that). They will make the rules for themselves.

It will make the domestic leagues become a definite second priority and these ‘big’ teams will rest players continuously in the league to focus on the Super League.

You couldn’t let them do it. There will be a massive financial hit but I think you would be better off expelling them. Either that or you just get gradually consumed into irrelevance.

Gaz811 repped this.
  4. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I agree if push comes to shove they should throw them out. The players will play a big part in this. Not all but a lot of players put playing for there country first.They could sue clubs because they couldn't play for there countries if there club joins the super league. These big clubs are not bigger than football and I think they are about to find that out.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  5. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    the player reaction could be huge if they are expelled from the EPL they have a good case, I would think, for breach of contract

Gaz811 repped this.
  6. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    #16956 ChristianSur, Apr 18, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    I know this is the death of football as we know it and all that, but I've got to be honest: as pure, demented soap opera, I'm finding it faintly hilarious. It's like if the G7 announced that they'd had a week of talks and concluded that it was in everyone's best interests to blow up the moon and replace it with an even bigger moon. And then you''ve got the Premier League getting all apoplectic because declaring authoritarian states and post-Soviet gangsters and the ********ing Glazers to be "fit and proper owners" has somehow backfired. Like, guys, you were only supposed to ******** the fans?

It's also kind of fascinating. Who's going to be the first player to speak out against it? What's Marcus Rashford going to do? This isn't very on-brand. And what actually do the clubs think is going to happen? Are they willing to risk being kicked out of their domestic leagues, having some of the world's best players quit and sue them, and being abandoned by their local fanbases, or are they convinced that they can navigate a path whereby none of those things happen? I mean, this isn't just one club being dragged along by some mad prince on a power bender - it's 12 clubs, each with enormous corporate infrastructures, and they've all reached the conclusion that this is the thing to do. Whether they've got it right or not, they must at least believe that they've thought it through... right?

I know this is very upsetting to some people and I'm sorry about that, but I can't lie - it's way more entertaining than watching Wednesday get relegated again.

W.A.S.P., hussar, Marcho Gamgee and 2 others repped this.
  7. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Lets be fair its probably a negotiating tactic. But I think the owners living in there Ivory towers have no clue whats about to be unleashed in there direction in the coming days.

8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    It is fascinating and even funny but I do also find it depressing. If you go by the theory that it’s a negotiation tactic then you either back down to ludicrous demands or you get all out war. How can you settle if clubs want automatic CL inclusion?

I’m probably wrong but it feels like this could have a big cultural backlash regardless of what happens from this point.

W.A.S.P., hussar, Marcho Gamgee and 2 others repped this.
  9. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    A negotiating tactic yes, but the reality is that the end game of that is UEFA making concessions to give them more or less what they want so they effectively end up in the same situation anyway. So maybe instead of automatic qualification we have teams qualifying based on their UEFA coefficient on the last 5 years, which for pretty much all these clubs is going to be a low bar to meet.

So we'lll either get the super league now, or we'll just get it develop slightly more slowly but UEFA backed.

My love of club football dwindled long ago, international football still has a romance about it to me, so it saddens me this could well spell the death of international football - one way or the other.

W.A.S.P., hussar, Marcho Gamgee and 3 others repped this.
  10. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Ok but on the flipside, it's kind of fun that people are earnestly debating whether Boris Johnson is going to nationalise Man U.

Gaz811 and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  11. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Footballers have been deafeningly silent on issues like corruption in FIFA/UEFA and the 2022 World Cup being hosted in a country with a horrific human rights record. You'd be hard pressed to find a quote from any Man City or PSG player criticising the conduct or morality of their ownership.

Football is full of people selling their services to the highest bidder and the highest bidders just changed the game. A load of ex pros have been criticising this in the media today, I'm not convinced they'd have been so bold in sharing their grievances if they were that much younger and stood to make a lot of money from the arrangement.

I'd love it if I'm wrong but I'm expecting players to stay silent.

12. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I might be wrong but I can't see players like Kane, Rashford and Henderson staying silent.

13. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    #16963 Gaz811, Apr 18, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Yes and rename it Brexit utd. lol

14. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    can't they just liquidate them?

15. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the Premier League should throw a 20-point points deduction at every club involved this morning.

16. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    They should mmediately expel all six clubs. FIFA announce players at these clubs are banned from national teams.
    The new ESL isn't scheduled to start for a couple of years, so they're left playing freindlies in Asia for the next two years against the same small group of teams.

17. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    I may be on my own here, but seeing that format can only mean good things for England surely. Our players in the top 6 playing world class players week in week out. They still play domestically which I didn't realise they were going to do. And there's also a qualifying system for other teams to get into the tournament.
    Surely this benefits the English national team? Unless I've completely missed something.
    Plus, as football fans we get to see the best teams play each other on a weekly basis.

18. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    They won't be playing domestically though. UEFA and the PL have said that any team participating in this will not be allowed to play in their competitions.

roverman repped this.
  19. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Not England related, but it's probably how things will end up.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  20. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    They will cave, trust me. They're as bent as blatter.

OllyAlex repped this.
  21. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    They'll have to change the PL rules to allow it, which would require 14 clubs to agree. Would they find 8 clubs on their side?

[​IMG]

roverman and Iansutton270390 repped this.
  22. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    #16972 MrSnrub, Apr 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Once these clubs get to control the laws then international football as we know it will become a thing of the past. There is no benefit to them for international football, they make no money from it, it just eats up time in their calendar and risks their players.

The international tournaments will continue in some capacity but they'd be hugely changed. Whatever happens, I think international windows would become a thing of the past if too much power is ceded. That'd probably have a lot of popular support too, unfortunately.

wellno and Iansutton270390 repped this.
  23. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Ahh, didn't think of that

24. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    When you like it like that, you're probably right. Clubs having monopoly on everything is definitely wrong.

25. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Rashford was outstanding yesterday. A fully fit fully firing Rashford has to start for England. They mentioned on motd his partnership with Shaw was excellent. The bit of skill he produced to beat the Burnley fullback was exquisite