England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Greenwood is just a nightmare in and around the box. The Spurs full back looked scared because he knows he can go both ways and finish chances. One touch assists too.

Henderson looked pretty composed too. Will be an interesting end to the season for both of them.

W.A.S.P., scholesyyy and roverman repped this.
  2. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I was slightly disappointed that Henderson didn’t start the Albania game. He was on a run of games before that and would have been a good opportunity for comparison’s sake.

roverman and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Maybe if he had a significant run of games it would have been a no brainer to start him in all games. The timing just wasn’t right.

I would have given him a game but like I said at the time you can at least see some logic considering the inexperience of all of the options on just giving one keeper all the games to gain some comfort in the role.

4. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I'm sure if there's a 25 man squad Greenwood will go. Like someone said outside of kane hes our most natural finisher

5. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    And he looks like he's finding his goalscoring touch again.

roverman repped this.
  6. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He pulled out of the U21 squad and then played the first game after the international break for United. I don't think Southgate will reward him with a place in the senior Euros squad, not when he will probably have Lingard, Barnes and Saka to choose from by then.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  7. Fullerov

Fullerov Member

Bristol Rovers
    Nov 30, 2004
    Club:
    Bristol Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He hadn't played since 2018. We can say a lot about Southgate, but he is fairly good about dropping/picking players in form.

I think it'll probably come down to injuries, but it should also be remembered just how close together the games in a tournament are. There are usually one or two unfancied players who hit a tournament in great form and do well, like Cheryshev for Russia in 2018. If the squad was named this week I'd fancy him to be selected.

roverman repped this.
  8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Trippier went off injured for Atletico. Saka felt something playing for arsenal. Injuries keep coming

9. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Players can be injured for two weeks.

10. #16810 WizardOfTheDribble, Apr 12, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Obviously there'll be an injury or two to change things, but when you actually look at the numbers, I can't see any way he could end up taking Lingard AND Sancho?

And it does look like he'll be taking Lingard.

https://m.skybet.com/football/england-specials/event/24118468

GK: Pickford Henderson Pope

RB: Walker (+1 from TAA 1/3 Trippier 8/13 James 5/6)

LB: Shaw Chilwell

CB: Stones Maguire (+2 from Mings 4/7 Coady 8/11 Dier 6/4 Keane 8 Godfrey 9 Konsa 10 Tomori 20 Tarkowski 20)

MID: Rice Phillips (+2 from Henderson 8/13 (will obvs go if fit) Bellingham 8/11 JWP Evs Winks 12)

ATT: Sterling Rashford Mount Foden Grealish (+1 from Lingard 1/5 Sancho 1/2 Saka 5/6 Greenwood 5 Maddison 5)

STR: Kane DCL Watkins 11/2 Abraham 7 Ings Bamford 8

11. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If Lingard goes over Sancho that's just insane. I like Lingard but a good couple of months shouldn't push him ahead, Sancho has the numbers over a consistent period and would terrify defences, unfortunately Lingard as shown against better sides last WC is pretty limited.

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  12. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Sancho's stats for goal involvement over his first 100 games are up there with the very best players of the past 50 years.

W.A.S.P., RobTheFool and roverman repped this.
  13. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    What ever squad Southgate picks a lot of good players are going to miss out. But in a way thats a good thing, because it shows the the strenght in depth we have in some positions.

roverman repped this.
  14. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I can’t see Lingard going over Sancho. Perhaps if Rashford is out.

roverman repped this.
  15. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    Barnes has maybe scuppered his chance along with Maddison ?

16. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    As long as Grealish , Sancho , Rashford , Mount and Bellingham go I’ll be content

roverman repped this.
  17. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Barnes wasn't involved with the party

18. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    What the group of five actually did was attend a house party at Ayoze Perez’s after the pathetic display in honour of Manchester City last weekend. They really earned that shindig – not!

Perez’s guests, among others who presumably are outside of the Premier League approved bubble, were: James Maddison, Wes Morgan, Harvey Barnes and Hamza Choudhury. Our information comes from trustworthy outlet The Athletic.

https://foxesofleicester.com/2021/04/11/leicester-city-reason-covid-ban/amp/

roverman and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I know Lingard has done very well for West Ham but I just can’t get excited about him being in the Squad for the Euro’s especially if it’s at the expense of others that have more of an X-factor and on their day are just a level above Lingard in my opinion and that’s what we will need to beat the big teams. During the last few days, the media have been driving it hard that Lingard should be a starter for us, nevermind just being in the Squad!

RobTheFool and roverman repped this.
  20. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    The simple question that should be asked to anyone suggesting Lingard should be starting is "which 4 from Sterling, Rashford, Grealish, Foden and Sancho is he ahead of?".

21. dakid

dakid Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He was decent vs Porto but then he had to be after the shocker the weekend at home to WBA of all teams, involved for two of the goals Chelsea conceded. The one thing James has going for him is he will be well rested. He didn't to start again at the weekend. Only 7 starts now out of the last 15 league games for Chelsea. Compared to alot of England players that could be a big plus.

roverman repped this.
  22. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Barnes was a long way from the tournament squad already. There wasn't much to scupper.

23. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    What are the chances that Rashford and Grealish are both going to be fit for the Euros?

24. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    How long is dcl out for