England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Vardy is 33. I would rather plan for the future and take Greenwood.

2. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    It’s a good call although Southgate is judged by results NOW ( or next summer) .

Plus we are stacked with youngsters ...

Who was it who said you don’t win anything with youngsters..

roverman repped this.
  3. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    you don't plan for the future in international football you play the tournament ahead of you, you never know when it may break your way, besides you'd take Kane, Vardy, Rashford and Greenwood, 2 of them also play wide

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I don't think I'm ever going to be convinced with this system and the way it is played by us. Even with a more creative XI and completely dominating games. I just think too often we don't have enough players threatening in the final third. When tournaments come along everything gets more compact. I don't think we can expect WC2018 again when the flaws in the system are compensated by set pieces.

W.A.S.P. and RobTheFool repped this.
  5. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    I think people get obsessed with planning for the future when ultimately international football is judged on the now.

But I don't see Vardy going to back up Kane - had Kane been injured and Vardy flying, which was arguably the case had the Euro's gone ahead this summer then he may have been interested - as it is I don't think it would be right for Vardy to play

6. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    the talk of Vardy was because of comments by Southgate, he was talking about striking options and brought up Vardy out of the blue

7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    #14007 BarryfromEastenders, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    After watching them play and combine together in the youth age groups it's nice to see it happen for the seniors -

5 World Cup winners in our recent squad -
    Dean Henderson, Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Ainsley Maitland-Niles - U20 WC
    Phil Foden and Jadon Sancho - U17 WC

4 UEFA Euro winners in our recent squad -
    Conor Coady, Joe Gomez - U17 Euros
    Mason Mount, Reece James - U19 Euros

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  8. MrBoombastic

MrBoombastic Member

England
    Nov 10, 2020
    They're both exceptional and I hope by the time the Euros comes round they're both starting. Grealish just needs a goal, seems to get in a lot of scoring positions for Villa but less so for England.

Foden and Grealish ahead of one DM (Rice probably) and Sterling, Kane and Rashford/Sancho up front. That's the front six I want to see.

roverman repped this.
  9. MrBoombastic

MrBoombastic Member

England
    Nov 10, 2020
    Right now it's probably Ings and Calvert Lewin as Kane's backup, with Abraham 4th choice, but that could change by the summer. There's a lot of English strikers in the EPL performing right now, Bamford, Watkins, even Wilson could get back in as he's started well at the Barcodes.

In order, I'd probably go:
    Kane
    Calvert Lewin
    Ings
    Abraham
    Watkins
    Bamford
    Wilson

Some good competition up front and that's only a good thing.

roverman repped this.
  10. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    That’s a fair assessment but could we ever trust Ings in a competition?

He seems to get injured an awful lot

11. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    It is right to consider injury records because managers have to be pragmatic.

12. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No where does Foden fit in this system. The answer is he doesn't as Sterling, Grealish, Rashford are ahead of him plus there's Sancho and Greenwood in those positions. Which is exactly why a midfield 3 is needed as he fits in well there. We need pace in the wide positions so Foden will get very little playing time when everyone is fit if he sticks to this formation

13. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    You’ve made your point. No need to keep repeating it. He managed to fit into the system pretty well last night.

roverman repped this.
  14. MrBoombastic

MrBoombastic Member

England
    Nov 10, 2020
    This is true and I think that's why the backup striker options aren't clear cut yet. Kane will obviously go and Calvert Lewin probably too, then it's 2 more out of a possible 5 or 6. Ings is good but gets injured a lot as you say, Abraham may not even be in the Chelsea side come the end of the season, so it depends on if the current strikers in form can keep that form going all season. If so I can see at least one of the current strikers in the squad exiting for one new face before the Euros next summer.

Vardy is still a great striker but will be 34 in January, plus he won't want to come back into international contention to just play second fiddle again, so I think he's an unlikely one.

15. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He does fit in because he’s left footed unlike the rest of them (except Greenwood), he can cut in a shoot from the right like he did last night to great effect.

It’s a great position for him in my opinion.

16. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No you're not getting what I said though, and this is a free forum. No need to get like that.

Please tell me where he fits in when everyone is fit. Because to my mind when Sterling and Rashford are fit he falls behind 3 players vying for two positions if Southgate sees him as a wide attacker (he is wasted there IMO). This leaves Sancho as potentially 5th choice.

Sterling and Kane will start every game when fit. We also know that Southgate like playing Mount on the right. Then there is Rashford and Grealish.. so where do you think he fits in? Unless Southgate plays mount in midfield in the big games Foden is not going to see the pitch in this formation. This is a genuine question, I'm not simply Southgate bashing (as much as I'd love to).

17. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    ... it was a very poor , apparently under strength Iceland team though plus I heard someone on TalkSport say it was their third choice Keeper !!

18. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    See above - I'm not saying he doesn't fit in well on the right but I'm saying when everyone is fit where does Southgate fit him in. As above Sterling and Kane start 100%, the calls for Grealish will be very loud and then he also loves Rashford and Mount kn the right too.

roverman repped this.
  19. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    It’s down to him isn’t it. He needs to have a great season and then he’ll play. Same for the rest of them. Some talented players will miss out.

20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Like who? To have a chance we need all of them. No point on taking 8 defenders

21. PoliteSquats

PoliteSquats Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I've always preferred Rashford as more of an impact player myself. Grealish, Sterling and Kane are my first choice in attack.

22. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    #14022 TopBanana10, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Fair enough. For what it’s worth - my two favourite England players are Foden and Grealish! Foden is the best English player I’ve ever seen in the flesh (been to watch him at youth level for England.)

I do agree that Southgate can be a little conservative. I’m not a fan of the double pivot and I prefer 4-3-3.

Having said all that... I’ve been an England fan since Euro 96 and this is the most exciting group of players that we’ve had by far. I’ve suffered through years of stodgy football, lack of creativity and poor managers.

So forgive me if I don’t get stressed about which of Foden/Mount, Grealish/Rashford or Chilwell/Saka should be starting.

I’m just enjoying the ride and putting a bit of faith in Southgate and the players!

There’s obviously a lot of competition for places but that’s bringing out the best in Foden and Grealish.

itfcjoe, roverman and RobTheFool repped this.
  23. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree, Foden for me is the most exciting player and I'd love to see him in midfield for us. I think with the quality we have in attack it seems a waste to have him there as he is very effective in midfield and probably one of our better midfielders already IMO which leaves space for more attackers.

I hate the formation as you know, I'd be more inclined to not be so angry if Southgate played a decent midfield two (Foden and Henderson maybe) I also like Mount's energy in midfield but it really gets me when Rice and Henderson are picked because we can all see the issues that brings.

We are certainly much deeper than we've ever been. I think our midfield options are actually good, our CBs are the only weakness but I'd like to see Stones back as if he has to persist with a 3 at least we then have another CB who is tidy on the ball. I reckon in terms of depth we are probably strongest, especially forwards.

TopBanana10 and roverman repped this.
  24. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    #14024 sharpovic, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Grealish doesn’t lack end product anymore. Didn’t hold on the ball for too long either, it’s an obsession in England every time we have a player who can actually keep the ball we want him to get rid of it. He’s brilliant and we’re lucky to have him. He should have had an assist, saka missed a very easy chance. Iceland played with 10 men at the back, it was much more difficult for him than against Belgium. It’s fantastic to finally have an attacking player who can have 80 touches of the ball. This is what we need against the top teams.

RobTheFool, PoliteSquats and roverman repped this.
  25. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Didn't Foden and Sancho lose in the final to Spain at the U17 Euros?

BarryfromEastenders repped this.