England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Rashford and Greenwood should be in

2. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Southgate needs to abandon his current flavour of the month defensive formation. You saw tonight the damage we could do when you have forwards like Rashford and Greenwood in this instance for Utd, that make good runs to get in behind the defence. We are not going to get the best out of our main weapons playing so negatively, it’s really plain to see and obviously painful to watch. Attack is our best form of defence full stop and we could even drop Kane deeper ( number 10 ) as he can see the runs players like Rashford, Sterling, Sancho and Greenwood make instead of starving them of the ball like we have done in our last four games.

RobTheFool and roverman repped this.
  3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    We have such a frighteningly good attack. Such a shame to waste it. I would fancy our chances against France seeing what rashford can do against a French regular upemacano

4. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    This ^^

5. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I don't think Greenwood should be in. He needs a little time on the fringes.

I think this is an inaccurate take. Ole is similar to Southgate in that he is a pragmatist. United have easier games against the likes of City and Leipzig than they do Crystal Palace because of the players we have.

Ole played a defensive formation last night and attacked on the counter. We can see the best of Bruno and Rashford when the opponents play a high line like Leipzig do, it allows space in behind for Bruno to play quick passes and for Rashford to run at defenders in space.

The problem in international football is that a higher number of sides play the low block. This nulifies the attacking dyanamics that allowed United to beat Leipzig 5-0 last night.

You'll see the same players struggling to break down Crystal Palace. International football is full of teams like Crystal Palace.

6. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I think he's had enough time on the fringes. No point in punishing him too much because u are punishing England too

RobTheFool repped this.
  7. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I don't really agree. We've loads of really good players in his position to play instead. He's a truly exceptional finisher but he remains on the fringes of games a lot so has a lot of developing to do.

What I would say is that if we are going to be restricted to limited opportunities then he'd be a players to have in the squad. He can score from really difficult positions.

roverman repped this.
  8. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    If Vardy isn’t coming back then I’d like to see Greenwood starting from
    now on and at CF !!

He’s our most natural finisher who I find similar to Robbie Fowler in many ways . I honestly think he’s ready and able to make that position his own.. OGS will eventually see the light:)

I’d play Kane with him but slightly deeper and have Sterling on the left ..TAA or even James can cover the right wingback area easily enough

9. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Southgate will go with 5-2-3 again with two DMs so don’t expect anything exciting like last night. The formation and players he picks for the two midfield position starves our attackers of the ball but clueless southgate thinks we are better than when we beat Spain in Seville so the outlook is not good.

Add to that he now has an opportunity to not play Foden given his Iceland antics and I don’t see him starting anytime soon either as we know he holds grudges. IMO as stupid as Foden was he is exactly what we need in midfield and it’s a shame we won’t see him there now likely.

I could forgive Southgate for the system if he played appropriate players but he went with it for Denmark at home and played mount on the wing (he should be one of the midfielders if he starts) so we effectively had Many players out of position and two players on the pitch (Rashford and kane) who you could deem as attackers. That’s just a farce. Add to that his defensive subs and bringing on DCL on the LEFT! He is a moron.

roverman repped this.
  10. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    what evidence is there that Southgate holds grudges?

Southgate adores Foden.

11. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Lu
    Luke shaw. Prime example

12. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Not sure it's grudges, just a strong reluctance to admit he was wrong.
    Smalling is a good example.

RobTheFool repped this.
  13. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Cough .. Grealish .. cough

RobTheFool repped this.
  14. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Some of you on here really have it in for Southgate.

Do you honestly believe that Southgate is looking for an excuse to leave out Foden?

Greenwood should be starting now as our CF?!

The only thing I agree on is that I’d have liked to have seen Grealish and Shaw used a little more.

15. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I dont think shaw has the appetite to play for England. He pulled out of a squad then went on to play for man utd 3 days later plus he never talks about England

16. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    How far away is Eddie nketiah from a call up do u guys think

17. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    :ROFLMAO:

hussar repped this.
  18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’m an arsenal fan and he’s miles behind almost every English striker in the premier league

19. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Based on what?

20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Just asking

21. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Dual national scores a tap in against an awful Irish team in the Europa and Roverman breaks out in a cold sweat!

He's miles off really. I don't think he's adapted to senior footall at all yet. Willock was by far the pick of the young English lads for Arsenal last night.

22. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Being duel is only part of it. Couldn't really give a toss if he chooses Ghana. Its his record at under 21 level that impresses me

23. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Francis Jeffers says Hi!

roverman repped this.
  24. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    If memory serves people were touting Behahino to break that record not so long ago. I wouldn't read too much into it. The top players usually do not spend enough time with the U21s to rack up those kind of numbers. The most capped players, for example, are Milner, Chalobah and Redmond.

25. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Top scorers are

Nketiah
    Jeffers
    Shearer

It's a mixed bag, which way will he go?

It will be hard for him regardless because England are pretty stacked in his position at the moment. Then there's Greenwood coming through who is already the most deadly finisher in European football.

Jenks repped this.