England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  2. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I didn’t see the Utd game so can’t comment about Maguire but today’s isn’t just about Gomez being bad why Liverpool have lost plus he had a very good game last week against Arsenal so is it accurate to say he’s badly off form, inconsistent maybe.

3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    We can look at the negatives in defence or the positives. Saka was excellent today kane was immense. Grealish has been fantastic. Sterling scored. Dcl is banging them in rashford was United's best player today

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I doubt anyone is solely blaming Gomez. Atrocious team performance but he really did need taking off. Probably could have come off at half time. Firmino and the keeper were also awful tonight.

5. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He was terrible against Leeds too. Think Maguire’s head has gone since the summer. Terrible day for English defenders brilliant day for English forwards.

Kane is in great form now too.

hussar and roverman repped this.
  6. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Not to mention sterling and dcl scoring yesterday

7. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    he's great at running With the ball, he's not Henderson.

8. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Gomez Maguire have played well together and won't be a problem at the euros

roverman repped this.
  9. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Would have been comical if Grealish didn't make the England squad. His detractors will find it harder and harder to justify the criticism. Unplayable.

roverman repped this.
  10. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Gomez had on off night. Hes usually alot better than this. I mean hell Sergio ramos has these games every week. Maguire clearly has his mind on other things. I would rather start coady anyway. Our attack is capable of scoring 5 or 6 so we will have to win games 5-4

11. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
  12. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Is there any other player who would have a game like that and the angry response would be that England should actually play them in a completely different position?

The logic, or lack thereof, seems insane to me.

hussar, Wendigo7, AJ123 and 2 others repped this.
  13. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    What I find insane is to suggest that it's a matter of position. Who cares about his position, we all know he's equally effective left right and center, he's obviously not a pure winger but is good there a la Pires, if Rashford is ahead of him on the left in the pecking order, then play Grealish behind Kane. We don't exactly have too many creative players, and we badly need players who're good in transitions and under pressure.

Toosaul and roverman repped this.
  14. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    But of course its a matter of position. Why are we ignoring that he was nowhere near as effective for Villa when he played in central midfield in the premier? They tried it, then they moved him. Then they tried it again and again quickly moved him back out left. You can't just ignore that because its inconvenient to the narrative.

Villa basically give him what is essentially a free role on the left that suits him really well. Constrained by the responsibility of central midfield he's nowhere near the same player.

15. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Why do people keep saying we don't have too many creative players? Grealish maddison foden sancho saka sterling rashford they are all creative

16. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    False. What do you mean nowhere near as effective ? I've seen the games he was superb, gave less assists and scored less but more involved in the build up play. Villa needs him to score and give assists, therefore it makes sense to play him there but does not mean he's not a good 10, he very obviously is.

Toosaul and TitoTata repped this.
  17. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    wouldn't say Rashford or Saka are creative but it's debatable. We do need more technical players with the ability to keep the ball under pressure, that was my point. It's a bit strange to compare Grealish and Rashford,they bring very different things. Unless Grealish has better numbers than Rashford then the debate is over.

18. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Even Villa fans were getting on his back when he was last moved to central midfield.....

Playing as a 10 is very different to playing as a central midfielder. Again he is miles better when he has freedom and less responsibility. He's not going to get that in midfield in a 4-3-3. He's just not. It's going to set him up for failure and then people will complain he's being used incorrectly by Southgate who for some reason was maligned for saying he's a 10 or winger.

Now what might be worth trying is a 4-2-3-1 where we can afford him a much freer role which he tends to thrive in. Stick Phillips and Henderson behind him to mop up.

ChristianSur repped this.
  19. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    So rashford isn't creative? The fact he can turn defenders inside out and score? Saka is also creative. He beats his man and puts in great delivery. Creative isn't about 55 stepovers its about creating chances for your teammates or creating a chance for yourself .

20. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    WTF! Is that what you took from that game. They get smashed 6-1 and you're complaining about Rashford. lol

Wendigo7 and roverman repped this.
  21. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    semantics, don't really care about it. We're not a very creative team and need more flair and skill, especially in the middle of the park. Rashford is creative in his own way, more of a striker than a passer even if he gives assists.

roverman repped this.
  22. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    And btw, I don't see why we couldn't play with a 10. Especially one like Grealish who actually works hard and covers a lot of ground. Players are more important than systems.

23. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Agree about grealish. He would make the perfect attacking midfielder. Hes kind of wasted on the left. England clearly have far better players than villa so the risk of playing him out of position wouldn't affect the team as greatly

24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    If Southgate starts with Pickford and Maguire he’s an idiot.

Pickford has lost his confidence and Maguire is understandably worried / distracted by his legal problems

roverman repped this.
  25. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    If we don't start Pickford then the options are a benched Dean Henderson, and Nick Pope who's started the season in even worse form than Pickford.

Though i'm sure in at least one of the matches the goalkeeping duties will be shared round.