England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I don’t think we are going anywhere under Southgate. Whichever system we play we lack structure, players easily become isolated and it’s all too predictable. He is just abysmal tactically and awful at picking players for specific systems.

The main problem is that he doesn’t ever seem to learn from lessons. I just don’t think he’s a very good coach, which is why he reverts to ultra defensive systems to compensate. He’s done this before so it’s not a one off.

RobTheFool, Jenks, Toosaul and 4 others repped this.
  2. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Oh dear, I really want to believe that he's just saying that to the press and this will be never spoken again......but there's just too many inklings from the press every international break of Southgate wanting to try 3 at the back again for it to not be true.

Particularly concerned at the idea that we got control of the game in the second half....there was 15 minutes after Mount came on when were OK although to call it anymore than that would be extremely generous, but then Denmark largely had the better of the next 15 minutes and had the best chance of the game - at least till Kane was gifted that last minute chance.

roverman repped this.
  3. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Maddison only has one cap. Winks has 6. Let's not pretend Southgate actually uses these players.
    Southgate has his favourites. It seems to be the same problem that all England managers have that they won't discard their favourites even when they are not needed. Southgate chose not to pick a single left footer to plays as full-back. If he was willing to go back to a 30 year old Walker, why not pick 31 year old Bertrand?

roverman and sharpovic repped this.
  4. Wendigo7

Wendigo7 Member+

Bournemouth
    England
    Mar 31, 2015
    Poole
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm afraid this is the answer.

roverman repped this.
  5. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    To be fair, Winks would have far more caps but the guy drops out of almost every squad. Not that I particularly think he's much of an answer - maybe someone to bring on if your winning and merely want to try and hold on to the ball but I think he's generally pretty limited. Certainly almost zero creativity which isn't great considering he needs a defensive midfielder next to him.

6. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    That explains why he’s picking Dier and Rice ... I’m sure he’ll bring back flamin Barkley at the earliest opportunity :(

7. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Winks has played very well for England. Makes things tick and not afraid to play forward under pressure. We don’t have a better alternative than him in deep CM

RobTheFool, W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  8. Wendigo7

Wendigo7 Member+

Bournemouth
    England
    Mar 31, 2015
    Poole
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Here's the problem with every player you mentioned in midfield except Henderson arguably.

Who's good in the midfield who's very dynamic going forward and has a great eye for a pass.

All the midfielders being mentioned are small, physically small and fairly slow, struggle to cover ground and as a result we can't string attacks together.

9. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Tbh, Barkley has played well under Southgate

Khadrim repped this.
  10. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Henderson has never performed for England. I’d play him bc of his physicality but let’s not pretend he brings much on the ball for England

Khadrim, Toosaul and Wendigo7 repped this.
  11. Wendigo7

Wendigo7 Member+

Bournemouth
    England
    Mar 31, 2015
    Poole
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That literally applies to every single player since 1966.

We can't replicate club form very well at all.

12. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    More or less. Wilshere performed before his injury nightmare, and even after, Scholes did alright, Joe Cole, Heargraves, the defenders overall. There’s a problem in central midfield mainly, the all action style does not suit international football

13. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Factors: silly time to have these games. A fully functioning kane would have had 2 goals tonight but for his lack of match fitness. No crowds which has a huge effect on players. One eye on the new season. 10 players missing. Southgate's poor tactical brain. We have the players no doubt but if we had someone like pep we would do alot better

14. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Had very few touches in 10mn but Grealish’s class is so obvious. He brings something completely different. Would be a bit criminal not to use him. It’s not like we have De Bruyne Hazard and Modric to compete with him

BarryfromEastenders and roverman repped this.
  15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    1303443120328241152 is not a valid tweet id

W.A.S.P., sharpovic, roverman and 2 others repped this.
  16. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Gareth has no excuses not to play him again.

17. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    To be fair it was more like 17 centrebacks playing as holding midfielders.

sharpovic repped this.
  18. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    How would pocetinho do with the England job

19. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    England second team

Henderson awb stones tomori saka. Foden cheek ali odoi abraham maddison. That shows the strength in depth we have. Its not the quality of players its the coach

20. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Humour me here, I keep hearing that Grealish doesn’t fit into England’s system (not on this forum to be fair.) Imagine we’d started Grealish > Rice and asked him to play centrally but 20 yards further forward than where Rice was playing.

What exactly would have been wrong with that? I don’t get how two holding midfielders fits into our system but a holding midfielder and a No. 8 doesn’t. Am I missing something?

21. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Ask Gareth. I'm pretty sure that grealish has worked his way into southgate's plans now

22. Toosaul

Toosaul Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Yep Winks has been brilliant for England, shame about his injuries. But I think Philips is a great alternative as the sole dm picking the ball up of the defence like he does for Leeds, it was hard for him in that formation especially having to play alongside Rice. He still managed a couple of really nice passes.

23. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    I thought Philips did alright too, pretty good composure.

hussar, W.A.S.P. and Toosaul repped this.
  24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  25. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    There's a cultural problem within the English game that goes beyond Southgate. The mentality that anyone technical and mobile has to be forced further up the pitch means we can barely produce CMs, like alone DMs. I'm starting to think the best hope we have is someone going abroad and being developed there.

thebigman, sharpovic, roverman and 2 others repped this.