England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Young Barkley had a decent game. Made one and scored another. His decision making is still a bit suspect on occasion but he's lively enough.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hendo and Gomes are having a good game for pool as well.

3. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Iniesta had very good seasons with extremely ordinary numbers in one of the most prolific team of all times. England has enough match winners, the team badly needs ball carriers and players who will make the pre assist. Grealish played quite deep last season and that's exactly what England needs IMO.

4. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Hope Gomes at right back is just for this game, played well but half the player he is at CB

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  5. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I think Grealish (like Dembele) is judged too harshly on goals or assists. That’s why I’m desperate to see how he gets on in a Premier League side. He’s a very different player to anyone else in our squad.

W.A.S.P., Marcho Gamgee and TitoTata repped this.
  6. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    #856 MrSnrub, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    I have to ask, how many of you calling for Grealish have actually seen him with any sort of regularity? I see lots of requests for call ups here, what I don't see is much acknowledgement that even a lot of Villa fans are starting to question his position in the starting eleven.

Are things with the England squad so bad someone who's struggling for a mid-table championship team deserves to make the team? No.

Is Jack Grealish so glaringly talented that he should be called up to the squad irregardless? Again no.

He's 23 and hasn't done much up to now to suggest he's the level of talent some here think he is. You say he's unusual for an English player, that doesn't make him good. You'd be better off promoting Foden (which shouldn't happen either) who's at least worthy of the kind of hype grealish is getting on here.

Dembele is a deep lying central midfielder. Grealish is always played either on the wing, as a number 10, or at least in some kind of attacking midfield position. It's ridiculous to compare him and his lack of productivity to people who actually have a reason for that.

If Grealish is ever to be good enough for England, he either needs to move somewhere with a manager who will convert him to a deep lying midfielder, or else there's about 25 names who are just as good or better than him further forward or soon will be. Harvey Barnes and Bradley Dack in the championship alone are superior attacking midfielders. Grealish isn't even notable in the championship despite often having a free role doing as he likes. He'll never be treated as much as a luxury as he is now if he plays at a higher level.

IGSpur and TitoTata repped this.
  7. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    He should play top football, in his best position and be in form first.
    Neither is happening at the moment.

8. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    #858 sinner78, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Lewis Dunk called in...
    I would have had Lascalles ahead of him .

anyone think Dunk looks like that cop from dumb n dumber ?

9. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I think you’re making quite a few assumptions here. I don’t think that Grealish deserves a call up or that he’s ever going to be anything other than a squad player at best.

What I would like to see is a move to a Premiership team in order to more objectively judge his level.

If you think I rate Grealish higher than Foden then you’re having a laugh. I was replying to another member who mentioned Grealish, not picking him out over Barnes, Dack or anyone else.

10. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Looks like Chilwell will be brought in if Rose and/or Shaw pull out.

11. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Lascelles and Hughes from the same whatsapp group it seems.

12. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Makes you wonder why teams are picking squads on a Thursday. Was better when they were picked on Sunday night when you knew everybody’s fitness after the weekend games.

13. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Most countries picked their squads last weekend.

There's a lot to sort out logistically, so it's probably not wise to leave it till the last minute.

14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    We used to pick it on a Sunday or late Saturday and I don’t think it is last minute to do it that way. Of course you also could tell the players much earlier than that and use standby options as cover before announcing the squad officially on a Sunday.

16. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    W.A.S.P. repped this.
  17. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Bertrand and Clyne should still be in the picture. Quality fullbacks..

18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

19. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    #869 TopBanana10, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Disappointed for Luke but Chilwell is the right replacement and likewise Dasilva. I wonder if Rose will need to withdraw.

Bertrand and Clyne should still be in the picture. Quality fullbacks..
    Both of those players have three more talented players ahead of them.

David Hurford repped this.
  20. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You English people need to get a grip . Grealish is one of your most technically gifted players . I saw him in a championship play off . And he was a genius he dribbled past players like a young gascoigne . He was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch . If he wasn't playing for such a shite Villa team he would be in the premier league by now .

When you think that a donkey like Henderson is regularly playing for Liverpool and a wizard like Grealish is playing in the championship it makes me wonder about english football .

If you think of england's most gifted players in recent times such as paul scholes, wilshere , rooney etc . Grealish isn't far behind them.

21. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    That's how I feel about him talent wise ... he's rather unique in a way as I can't even think of any player I can compare him to - in the past

22. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    I hope these new players get in the starting 11.
    Sancho could give Croatia serious problems .

23. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    By my reckoning, there are 10 outfield players in this squad that weren’t at the World Cup. Combine that with the games coming only two days apart means that we’re likely to see considerable game time for most of these new call ups.

If you can predict the line ups, you’re a better pundit than me!

24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I bet someone could name a starting eleven from names not even in the squad !!

Team built around Jack Grealish of course :)

25. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ——Pickford
    Trippier—Stones—Gomez—Rose--Maddison—Henderson—Mount
    -Sterling—-Kane—-Sancho

This please. Pace and skill in attack, creativity in midfield, ball playing CBs.

I reckon sancho will come off the bench thoughand Mount won’t start

W.A.S.P. repped this.