England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    He’s shined all season .. they’re just poor at the moment and yet again he’s been starved of the ball ..
    tonight he was up against arguably the second best RB in the county plus they doubled up on him ..

I thought Praet played better than anybody tonight ..

2. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Know this may be the wrong way of looking at it considering the impact on fans(myself included who has tickets) but anyone else feel that from an England point of view, a postponement could be a very good thing? In a year's time, Rashford and Kane will hopefully be back and healthy, Sancho will hopefully get even better, Sterling hopefully back in form, Foden may fully breakthrough, RLC may get back up to speed and even players like Greenwood will have another season of professional football under their belts. I will be devastated from a fan point of view if it is called off this summer, but I feel we could be big winners in terms of our squad and it's chances, in pure sporting terms, if the tournament was delayed by a year.

3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    What happens to the nations league, qualifiers for the world cup, etc. Do you really think clubs will allow so many games to be cramped into such a small space of time

4. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Good question, at this point it's not that easy to predict what would happen and how knock on effects like that would be managed/dealt with. However, I'd imagine UEFA will do everything possible to keep the Euro's on and play the tournament at some point as it is just too prestigious, has too much demand and interest and there is too much money and planning that goes into it. The ramifications of cancelling it would be enormous no matter how the coronavirus develops and I just can't see UEFA wanting to deal with that.

roverman repped this.
  5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Aprently they may postpone the competition till 2021

be weird if they do and then the World Cup is in November

6. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    So apparently the clubs have asked to do this. So as usual the wealth of the big clubs will win again. UEFA though at this point are confident they will go ahead

7. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe it would be easier to cancel the rest of the leagues and cups, and then just use next season to play the rest of them and the Euros and just abandon the 2020/21 season entirely.

roverman repped this.
  8. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    How could all the clubs manage financially though ??

9. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Good point.

10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Not heard anything about any Squad announcements tomorrow, I still think it will be next Thursday fwiw just in case anyone is expecting anything tomorrow.

Thr FA have just said nothing has changed with regards to the friendly games which I have to say I’m kind of surprised at.

11. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Why should the euros be cancelled to fit in the domestic and European season? The euros doesnt start till June, cancel this season and pick the winner from whoever's is top right now. Basically people are saying the euros means nothing, bollocks to that. I'm country before club everytime

12. Oxford Tom

Oxford Tom Member

Oxford United
    England
    May 13, 2019
    Thought Ox was good for Liverpool tonight.

13. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Simply because sadly, money talks. Whilst the broadcasting revenue and ticket sales from the Euros is huge, it pales in comparison to the overall money involved in club football. By that, I don't just mean the money that goes into clubs and leagues in terms of revenue, but all the people paying money out. Clubs have wage bills in the dozens of millions, so they obviously wouldn't be very happy if international football was to take priority over club football for one.

Also, it's much easier to move tournaments that only last a month, in comparison to either cancelling club seasons or playing games behind closed doors for an extended period of time. The ramifications of either of those two happening would be extremely significant. I agree that I personally would rather see the Euro's protected and prioritised, but I can fully understand and even accept why it wouldn't be even if I do have tickets. Unfortunately, the governing bodies are caught between a rock and a hard place now and any decision that is made is going to be radical and inevitably upset some people.

roverman repped this.
  14. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    England never announce their squad two weeks early, its always the week before the international week.

Not that there's basically any chance England will be playing friendlies this month. And almost no chance Euro 2020 goes ahead at this stage.

15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    It wouldn’t surprise me if we don’t see any Squad announcements until this September to be honest. Can see this whole Spring/Summer being a write off in regards to International football.

16. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    it’s sad but maybe good given our injuries and it will also give Foden Grealish etc more chance to get in the squad

gutted as I have a Wembley sf ticket though

17. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Still dont see why euros cant go ahead if virus has gone by then. I dont see why a tournament that's held every 2 years, including world cup, should have to be moved over so fat cat clubs can finish their season. Club football is on 9 months a year every year, just call the season off and make the league leaders title winners. This would be another nail in the coffin for international football if yet again club football gets presidence over international football. I am only interested in football when England are playing

18. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I don't really see that the virus will be gone to the extent a European wide tournament could be held in June to be honest, China is still in semi-lockdown since Mid-January which gives you an idea of the timescale awaiting at the very least Italy. You might be able to get away with finishing the seasons behind closed doors but that's not going to work for the Euro's.

Frankly to fit things in they might have to play next season as a reduced season after finishing this season.

19. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Could have been avoided. AIDS, Ebola, SARS and Covid 19 are all caused by human mistreatment of animals.

Political correctness shouldn’t get in the way of science.

20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    It was caused by Chinese eating animals that have been infected by wildlife ie bats, which contain rabies, HIV etc.

21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Arteta has been tested positive for Covid-19 so that’s a game changer and surely a suspension of the league with immediate effect, nevermind playing behind closed doors.

22. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    #8372 MrSnrub, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    This isn't political correctness. People already try and stop people eating hunting and eating bushmeat (which is how AIDS/Ebola likely jumped to humans) but cracking down on that is difficult. In the case of China, well there's no telling the largest country on the planet what they can and cannot eat if their own government doesn't see a problem with it.

roverman repped this.
  23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    That’s gonna be difficult given they still believe that ground up rhino horn is a cure-all for many , many illnesses and amongst other things is an aphrodisiac !!

roverman repped this.
  24. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    They want to cancel the euros fine. Human health is more important but then playing the remainder of the season instead just smacks of greed which defeats the whole object of trying to keep the disease contained

25. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    We are not trying to contain it supposedly ( like every other country ) ... we are actively attempting to DELAY it until the NHS are better equipped to cope with all the casualties..

Seems like Russian Roulette given we seem to know very little about the virus ..

roverman repped this.