England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Not sure we have plenty of options in central midfield. Winks is the only CM who has performed for England lately and I can't think of any other credible option emerging in deep midfield atm. Henderson would damage the team in deep CM unless he's surrounded with technical players and I don't trust Southgate to do that. In other words, not sure we can afford to lose Winks, who btw is not playing at the moment

2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I think hes referring to maddison, grealish, cheek, foden etc.

sharpovic repped this.
  3. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Ok, then I don't disagree

roverman repped this.
  4. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Yeah I meant the more attacking or b2b options sorry for the confusion. Agree we are light in deep/holding midfield. Hopefully Mourinho keeps getting poor results without Winks, whilst Henderson can be a stopgap I guess but yeah it's definitely a position that we need to develop in.

5. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I still think cheek is suited to that role. Hes got great strength , great on the ball, good passer

6. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Foden unplayable today, honestly what is Guardiola's problem with him, every time he plays he impresses or at the very least holds his own, if I was the City owners and he asked to sanction the purchase of a Silva replacement I'd tell him where to go.

David Hurford and roverman repped this.
  7. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Probably still had hopes of chasing Liverpool down, but it's looking ever more impossible. If he doesn't play him more in the second half of the season that's when I'd start to get annoyed. Can't really moan at him playing the likes of de Bruyne and Silva over him in importan games to be honest.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  8. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    You could probably impress against flamin Port Vale !!

9. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    What did people make of Williams and Greenwood's performances today?

10. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Greenwood looked very disappointing. Didn't really do much, looks a million miles off England quality right now. Williams was very good. Good defensively and attacked well

11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #7736 Marcho Gamgee, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Didn't really see the game against Wolves but maybe we can calm down on these threads on trying to get the next shiny thing promoted straight into the senior team which seems to happen as soon as someone has one or two good game.

Sam1010, Jenks, roverman and 1 other person repped this.
  12. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    Oh no. cho down clutching his achilles and in tears

13. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Hes back on thankfully

David Hurford repped this.
  14. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Joe Gomez really does look back to his best. If he keeps playing like this then he would be my first choice

15. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Yeah I don't wanna speak too soon but he's really taken his chance and has become the player that we knew he could be. Hopefully that spot is his now. It was criminal that matip was getting ahead of him for so long, even though matip was sensational.

roverman repped this.
  16. Toosaul

Toosaul Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Kalvin Phillips would be perfect in that role, Bielsa has worked wonders with him. I was hoping leeds form would fall off a cliff and some pl club could grab him in Jan. Unfortunately as things stand they would be mad to sell him, nothing against leeds but no way is he gonna get in the team in time for the euros unless he moves.

17. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    The one doubt I have about Phillips is whether he'd get away with all of those fairly aggressive sliding tackles in the international game. Remains to be seen whether he could tone that down without becoming much less ineffective.

hussar repped this.
  18. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Ornstein reporting that Winks is on the radar of the Manchester clubs

19. Toosaul

Toosaul Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Good point yeah he would need to acclimatise for sure, he does like a tackle. I remember his fellow leeds grad Delph speaking about having to adjust that side of his game to international football after almost getting sent off on his debut, but he managed it I think Phillips could as well.

20. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I don’t want to hear any more talk about Sterling being such a natural finisher and one of the best players in world football !!!

He’s missed about 4 sitters tonight .. two were his trademark scuff shots ..

21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    He’s in terrible form and has been for the last couple of months to be honest but let’s not pretend he always plays this bad. Also not sure anyone has said he’s a natural finisher?

22. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    On some forums he certainly has been ..

23. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Where would United be without Rashford, assist from Greenwood as well

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  24. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    They're both great cbs. I think Klopp wanted Matip and VVD together more as Matip then was more fit than Gomez.
    He's only 20 iirc. The amount of games and cameos he is getting is good considering he's not better than any of the other cms avail. Like someone said Pep by now should give up pursuit of the epl and rotate the kid more.

25. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Harry Maguire out for an extended period now. Hope this is not a sign of things to come