England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Another example of why we will be better off without Rooney.
    Im glad he quit. Lazy player with a shit attitude.

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Kane is acting like a little bitch so no surprises he’s ridiculed

He’s not fit anyway and spurs keep playing him so we may as well accept he will be a 2010 Rooney

3. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Problem with Spurs is that they have a great starting XI, but sub-standard depth. They rely too much on their starters for a club as big as them and because of that they really need Kane to be out there, especially considering they don't even have an average striker behind him.

thebigman repped this.
  4. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    This match against Roma showed why Alexander-Arnold shouldn't be on the plane this summer. He's still suspect defensively, and against some classy opponents he's a liability. But he could - and hopefully will - improve a lot, he's still only 20.

The Guardian repped this.
  5. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Henderson looked good tonight for Liverpool.

Alexander-Arnold was error prone and got lucky for not receiving a penalty with a handball.

6. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He's 19.

7. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Then he has especially more time on his side :)

8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    To compare on TAA. Walker had one of the worst individual games I’ve seen in the quarters of the CL. TAA might have dips but he offers so much to the squad. He’s also playing a role where he’s getting very little defensive support and a midfield that can’t control the play at any point.

Imagine him winning the CL and people still saying he’s just not ready for a squad who you could count on one hand the players who’ve had a good season.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  9. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    That's all true, I still think he is not ready yet for this kind of pressure. Walker, Trippier and Clyne (if fit) all ahead of him for the while.

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Walker can go as a CB. Clyne has barely played and both him and Trippier have not shown the quality of TAA. If you are good enough you make the squad as far as I’m concerned. As for the pressure issue as far as I’m concerned the players that have suffered most at recent tournaments have been our more senior options who have been stuck with primarily because of experience. Gary Cahill was lucky at the Euros that Joe Hart was so abysmal because it took attention away from his own displays.

We will likely be playing two CM options that lack the ability to pick passes and be incisive with their play. So we need deeper options who are good on the ball and can pick the short and long passes required. Clyne and Trippier struggle with this whilst TAA is good at it. I think our system makes quite a few of our full back options pretty redundant.

You can also make an argument that TAA is our best set piece taking option.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  11. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Trippier has much more assists, he is a handful in attacking and defensively solid if unspectacular. At the moment he seems the safer option. TAA's nightmare yesterday wasn't a one off, he was abysmal against Man Utd too a few weeks ago, he's simply not that consistent to warrant a place in the squad. Yesterday I didn't understand Klopp to wait with his substitution until the very last minute, he was all over the place, and Real Madrid will surely try to use this in the final.
    I have no doubts about TAA's ability, but it seems he is only useful when everything is fine and Liverpool have a control on the game. As soon as the opponents have a grab on the match, he is the first to crumble.

The Potter repped this.
  12. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Indeed. There is plenty of time for Arnold to get a call up. He's still got his L plates on and should stay out of the England limelight while he beds into first team football, with all the pressures that brings. One step at a time.

hussar repped this.
  13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Trippier is primarily a straight lines and cross option. He offers nothing else and is found lacking with the ball. I just find it absurd that people think he’s an option in this system with the players we are likely to play with him. I can just imagine watching watch us attempt to play through a low block Tunisia with 3 CB’s and a midfield of Rose, Henderson, Dier and Trippier.

I think it’s always the case that technical options are held to a higher standard and what they do offer is largely ignored.

14. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I find TAA lacking with the ball, to be honest. He has a good delivery but his all-round ball retention is pretty poor. He spends half his time on the ball not being able to find a pass inside so just tries to hit the front players. I wouldn't bring any player into the squad at this stage of the campaign unless there was dire need of them, let alone an inconsistent 19 year old. I really do not see the value of throwing him in the squad at the last minute.

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liverpool’s whole system is derived around getting the ball to the forwards as quick as possible. There CM’s are also pretty awful when they have the ball with time.

I’m going to be needed to be convinced as to why Trippier or Clyne deserve a squad place all things considered. All I’m hearing is it’s merely experience. Not enough for me.

W.A.S.P. and thebigman repped this.
  16. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think TAA has handled the pressure fairly well up to this point.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  17. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Clyne's not going, it's likely to be just Trippier and Walker. Southgate hinted to Walker and Dier's versatility as an opportunity to take more attacking players into the squad. Doubt there'll be three right backs in it.

18. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Young was also deployed as right back at a point against Italy.

19. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Stones starts for City.

20. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think at this rate we should start Delph at leftwing back.

21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

22. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Sorry for him, but another one who's not quite ready for a World Cup. Hopefully with Clyne and TAA enough for the RB slot, he will play more centrally next season, he's not a full back.

23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I'd certainly take the youngster . He seems to be able to play a few positions really well and he made most of the good / great passes the other day ( from midfield)

24. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the Gomez injury gives more of a possibility for Walker to play at RCB and then let Alexander-Arnold have a go at RB.

25. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    So that's 2 probably 3 Liverpool players missing the World Cup.....