England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I just hope he doesn't leave out Rose, he's our best left wing back and best in the league when 100% fit imo. His attacking threat is so much more dynamic compared to Young or Delph and I think Delph has been great this season fwiw. Bertrand I just don't rate I'm afraid to say so I wouldn't have him over those three.

2. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Young isn't great. Just been lucky to fall into a starting spot at a top side.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    If we are adamant on playing wing backs I can see the logic of taking Young. Maybe he could have been phased out with better LB/WB options.

I think I’ll be able to accept Southgate’s squad as long as he picks CM options that provide some type of flexibility.

4. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I think Young would be even worse as a wingback to be honest. He doesn't provide any width so that would expose him further. He's just lucky that he has a very restricted and protected role with United.

5. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He dealt with Salah better than any LB I've seen this season.

6. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Does that warrant selection? He's also been destroyed in loads of games and he can't attack other than cutting in from 40 yards onto his right and crossing it in when United have the other side pushed back.

It just doesn't suit any situation England will find themselves in.

7. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Has he though? I haven't seen that.

8. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    did you miss the Manchester derby the other week?

9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    He should have been sent off and a penalty given against him.

10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    In other news, apparently Lallana is back in Liverpool's Squad for the game tomorrow night.

11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Livermore apparently up for Premier League player of the month. That's him on the plane to Russia then.

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Delph has been a good lwb this year and can play cm

13. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I don't know, I'd disagree that he's been playing as a wing-back. He defends wide when required, but in possession he tucks into central midfield more than he attacks on the flanks. That isn't the job that Southgate would be asking him to do.

thebigman repped this.
  14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    True

Both he and young have that issue

I would prefer an in form rose

15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Exactly, that's why Rose has to go if fit imo, he's much more better suited to the role Southgate will want from that position compared to both Delph and Young.

thebigman repped this.
  16. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    HOW???

17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    No idea mate but I'm sure Southgate will now feel justified to pick him considering he's up for the award.

18. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It shouldn't. I mean if that is the case then Pickford should be England No. 1 because he's also been nominated.

Livermore is such an unispiring player to our team. I mean if we were to play quite defensive then he'd be an ideal selection, but the fact is he brings nothing going forward. He's also very slow and runs with a noticeable limp. I highly doubt he'll get into the starting XI, but he shouldn't be anywhere near this squad. Hell, I can't even find any highlight reels of him from the last couple of seasons on YouTube, which says something.

I can see it now. He'll make the initial 30-man squad, get limited game time and unless he makes a handful of noticeable mistakes then he'll be on the plane.

19. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    He probably will be, don't you think? Not for that reason, but I think he's currently the favourite.

I personally don't have a problem with Livermore being nominated for the award. West Brom have completely turned their form around under Darren Moore, and Livermore's performances have been an important part of that. That doesn't mean that he should go to the World Cup unless we're really decimated by injuries.

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    This stuff is largely brought up by football fans that are primarily club focused fans. The types that claim to hate international football. Rivalry nonsense between club fans about English players always somehow becomes an England fan issue.

Fans have been underwhelmed for ages but haven’t been expectant of anything for ages. There has not been a better time to play for England if you think fan pressure is an issue. Pretty disappointing interview from Kane. Feels a bit whiney too me.

21. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Yeah. Not good from Kane there.

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Tbh, im really quite bored with the whole claim it jokes now which is still constantly doing the rounds but I just think it's been handled poorly by Kane and his people. If they/he had just laughed it off giving the impression it just doesn't bother him then the jokes would just pipe down but when the trolls see articles like the one above, it just fuels the fire to keep them coming as they know it gets to him. This should just have been laughed off after a week but now it's unfortunately gonna drag on it seems and probably into the World Cup.

23. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    That video with Rooney is from the 2010 world cup , where he knew he had been caught with the hooker and it hadnt come out yet. He played in first gear and had a rotten attitude which ruined the tournie. But it was the media who purposely set out to ruin the cup for us.

That interview with Kane is what they call media shit stirring..
    he got asked loaded questions .

Rabbi Keane repped this.
  24. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    That Algeria game was horrendous. They deserved to be booed after that.