England Senior National Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Dec 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    The three chances before the squad is announced are Everton at Goodison, Freiburg away in the Europa league and Burnley at the London Stadium. I’m not sure he will start against Everton if West Ham can play well against Brentford in the match he is suspended for. But I think Southgate could select him down if only plays adequately in one of those matches.

Ajax v Villa the week before the squad is selected with Villa v Ajax the evening of the squad announcement. Could add heat to the continuing controversy his involvement brings if he doesn’t do well.

2. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I don't really see why TAA being out would especially effect things, he's not really in competition with Phillips for a place. Even with Jones out, the contenders for central midfield are by far the strongest they've been since his move this time round so its not like a lack of options.

3. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    He is in terms of a place in starting line ups. Phillips and Trent are two of the three main candidates for the third sport alongside Rice and Bellingham. (Southgate usage of Trent last year means he has been considering if Trent could start ar the Euros in midfield).

4. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I don't think they're interchangeable though, I don't see us using Phillips in a match TAA would be lined up to play, and neither do I see us using TAA in a match Phillips is lined up to play. Phillips has for a long time been reserved for "tough" midfield games, and TAA has only be used in games we expect to dominate possession. I'm skeptical we'd have started TAA in midfield in either of the upcoming games.

Even with Jones out, there's Garner, Mainoo, Barkley, and Gomes (though I think he doesn't really have a chance) that present easy replacement options.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  5. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    True but if Phillips decline continues he might need another option for the Tough games as well - Henderson the most Southgate choice.

Rico Lewis is probably more likely to keep his place I suspect than any of those four being called up.

6. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Would rather call up Adam Wharton than bring in Philips

Khadrim repped this.
  7. sharmichael

sharmichael Member

England
    Jun 13, 2023
    I think it's a given though that whoever joins Bellingham and Rice in midfield is going to be a workhorse-type - so Henderson, Phillips or Gallagher, basically. Phillips is a disaster zone at the moment so I think that'll give Gallagher the chance to start one of the friendlies (with Henderson likely playing the other).

Fireburn47 repped this.
  8. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I imagine that be Henderson for Brazil and Gallagher for Belgium.

9. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Looks like Rashford might be playing as centre forward for Man United for next couple of weeks as Hojlund is injured,

10. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    You would ;)

roverman repped this.
  11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    He could still pick Phillips and an alternative that has not been used before (or Barkley). There really is no excuse to pick no one different. The amount of CM’s used since the World Cup has been very few.

It is not as if problems could not have been foreseen at the start of the season with Henderson and Phillips.

roverman repped this.
  12. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I think he should really have pulled Phillips out in November and given him the week off and replaced him with someone else. Rather than him arriving a day before the Malta match having not trained for a few days and having barely played for Man City,

13. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    As good as he is on the ball, he looks a bit slow and weak for the highest level at the moment in my opinion.

roverman repped this.
  14. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    I probably wouldn't have Wharton in yet but I wouldn't rule it out either depending on how he continues. Hypothetically let's say he was in there, I'm not at all convinced he'd raise bigger issues than what Phillips or Hendo will (certainly not Phillips on current form).

I think Wharton looks slower than he actually is, and he's shown already at Palace how effective he is in duels. We can pick (valid) holes in the games of potential replacements like Wharton, but let's not forget we're putting them forward as candidates to replace players who are also heavily flawed themselves, and in terms of what they can and can't do at this level they're very much known entities.

I know it sounds naive to keep touting the likes of Mainoo and Wharton for this role but my angle is that I'd rather take a gamble on a high-upside youngster than go in there with someone like Hendo starting games in a role that will, imo, be a massive factor in whether or not we win the tournament, because Hendo's proven to not be capable of doing what's required to help us get over the line in games against top opposition.

Ultimately, though, this side of the debate probably beating a dead horse because it's just not how Southgate thinks.

Khadrim, roverman and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  15. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Round up of the week’s press conference comments on English players.
    Show Spoiler

‘He is pleased with Dominic Calvert-Lewin's performances despite a long run without a goal: "He is staying fit, playing stronger all the time. Strikers know the rules of their job - if it's not quite working, how do you get it working for you? Key habits are important. You have to keep getting in the right positions, keep producing the performances if you aren't scoring to help the team and I think he's doing that." ‘

‘Kompany confirmed that Aaron Ramsey's unspecified injury against Arsenal was "as bad as we thought" and "definitely season over", adding: "For the large part of this year he won't feature. It is a blow for him and we will support him as best we can." ‘

‘while Curtis Jones is ruled out. He said: "Curtis has a sprain with a muscle on his ankle and will be [out] until around the international break. Trent [Alexander-Arnold] has a lateral ligament injury and will be out until after the international break. ‘

‘He said Jack Grealish and Josko Gvardiol remain out with their respective muscle and ankle injuries "but are getting closer". ‘. added striker Dominic Solanke is "doing really well and scoring a lot of goals".

‘Ezri Konsa, Diego Carlos and Jhon Duran still remain out because of injuries but are getting closer and "progressing well". Emiliano Buendia and Tyrone Mings are "close to starting with the squad in training" after serious injuries sustained at the start of the campaign. Emery added: "This season is not for them, but we are happy when they are close to being with us and helping us in the dressing room and in training."’

‘Howe confirmed Fabian Schar is available while Alexander Isak and Joe Willock could make their returns from injury: "They've trained this week, it's good to see them back on the grass. We'll have to wait and see but they've made good progress."’ On Kieran Trippier having the most assists in the Premier League so far this season: "It is a brilliant stat for a full-back, he is a guy who will play a lot of creative passes before a goal happens. He has been fundamental to how we work - his leadership skills behind-the-scenes have been second to none."

‘On the Bees' star striker Ivan Toney, Moyes added: "The games I’ve seen Toney play, he's played really well. He's a big player for them, I've been impressed by his performances, by his football intellect. He's missed a lot of football but he's come back in great condition.” On Kalvin Phillips, who has struggled since arriving on loan from Manchester City in January: "Kalvin is doing really well in training. I thought the sending-off at Nottingham Forest was really close to being harsh." ‘

‘Eberechi Eze is back in training but will not feature yet, with Michael Olise and Marc Guehi also still out. Glasner has the same squad as was used at Everton, with no fresh injuries. ‘

‘Nuno said Callum Hudson-Odoi is "playing well and improving" but "there are still lots of things he needs to do better, but I'm really happy with him." ‘

‘ Wilde added that Tom Davies is fit to start. He is pleased youngster Ollie Arblaster has signed a long-term contract with the club: "I personally think a lot about him. I've known and watched his progression through the academy and even at international level so for him to be playing on that stage shows he's got a lot of quality. Local boy which goes down well with the football club and supporters. We're delighted." Wilder said Mason Holgate has to work to regain his trust after his red card last weekend: "He understood it straight away, he's not jumping through hoops. We understand the reckless attitude of the challenge and the out of control bit. He spoke to the group, me and the staff and have to deal with it." ‘

16. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  17. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Chelsea are willing to sell Spain goalkeeper Robert Sanchez, 26, this summer and could bring in Arsenal's England goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale, 25, as a replacement. (HITC)

Everton are set to target Sunderland's English defender Dan Ballard, 23, if compatriot Jarrod Branthwaite, 21, leaves Goodison Park in the summer. (Football Transfers)

West Ham are ready to smash their transfer record to sign Bournemouth's 26-year-old England striker Dominic Solanke this summer. (Football Insider)

England youth international winger Adam Berry, 18, is set to sign for Nottingham Forest after leaving Manchester United. (Sky Sports)

West Ham and Crystal Palace are among the clubs interested in English midfielder Olly Box, 18, who has impressed with National League South club Dartford this season. (HITC)

18. KHSAFC

KHSAFC Member

Sunderland
    England
    Feb 12, 2023
    Dan Ballard is a northern Irish international and cap tied, but he’s English born.

Fireburn47 and hussar repped this.
  19. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Easy to mix up with Dom Ballard to be fair!

Fireburn47 repped this.
  20. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Ramsey and Watkins start for Aston Villa. Iroegbunam, Rogers, Chambers and Kesler - Hayden are on the bench.
    Gibbs - White and Hudson - Odoi start for Nottingham Forest. Yates and Toffolo are on the bench.

Dunk and Welbeck start for Brighton. Lallana, Steele and Welbeck are on the bench.
    Pickford, Tarkowski, Godfrey, Branthwaite, McNeil, Harrison, Garner and Calvert - Lewin start for Everton. Hunt, Keane and Young are on the bench.

Johnstone, Ward, Mitchell and Wharton start for Crystal Palace. Rodney, Ozoh, Henderson, Plange, Tomkins and Clyne are on the bench.
    Trafford, Taylor and Brownhill start for Burnley. Cork and Rodriguez are on the bench.

Maguire, Mainoo, Forson and Rashford start for Manchester United. Collyer is on the bench.
    Tosin and Reed start for Fulham. There are no English players on the bench.

21. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #12846 Fireburn47, Feb 24, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    Smith, Cook, Tavernier and Solanke start for Bournemouth. Scott and Kinsey - Wellings are on the bench.
    Stones and Foden start for Man City. Grealish, Walker and Lewis are on the bench

Grealish back from injury and on the bench - good to see.

roverman repped this.
  22. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Southgate is in Munich watching Kane and Dier. Feels a waste of time unless he is considering Dier.

23. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He is probably is watching Dier and fancied a trip to Munich on expenses.

roverman and Fireburn47 repped this.
  24. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I can’t wait for the reaction if Henderson, Phillips and Dier are all called up.

25. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    It wont be popular that's for sure.

Fireburn47 repped this.