England Senior National Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Dec 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #10151 Fireburn47, Dec 3, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    Honestly if Trent was dropped from either the March squad or the Euros I think some journalists and a lot of fans would call for Southgate to be sacked on the spot. Particularly with the fact Henderson is still involved despite becoming a spokesperson for the country of Saudi Arabia. I am not a particular fan of Trent but a lot of the press and fans are efen if many of them don’t know how to use him either.

Gaz811 repped this.
  2. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    #10152 Gaz811, Dec 3, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    Yes. I wouldn't drop him from the squad.I think its players like Henderson and Rasford that should be looking over there shoulder.

roverman and Fireburn47 repped this.
  3. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Aye, the rusty second choice goalkeeper was at fault for three soft goals from 5 shots on target. If you were watching Trent was moved into midfield after 60 minutes so he wasn't one of the defenders involved for the second left wing goal, on the first the defense was a bit of a mess because Fulham were countering off Virgil Van Dijk making a run into the opposition penalty area.

Trent criticism is always ridiculously hyperbolic. World class player.

roverman, Gaz811 and Fireburn47 repped this.
  4. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    PL English Players of the Match - Week 14
    Bukayo Saka - Arsenal v Wolves
    Jordan Pickford’ - Nottingham Forrest v Everton
    Kieran Trippier - Newcastle United v Manchester United
    Ollie Watkins - Bournemouth v Aston Villa
    Trent Alexander - Arnold - Liverpool v Fulham

Pl English players of their Club - Week 14
    Bukayo Saka - Arsenal
    Wes Foderingham - Sheffield United,
    Jordan Pickford - Everton
    Kieran Trippier - Newcastle United
    Ollie Watkins - Aston Villa
    Dominic Solanke - Bournemouth
    Trent Alexander - Arnold - Liverpool

BBC Sport English players of the Match - Week 14
    Anthony Gordon - Newcastle United v Manchester United

BBC Sport English players of their Club - Week 14
    Anthony Gordon - Newcastle United
    Luke Shaw - Manchester United
    Phil Foden - Manchester City
    (Michael Olise - Crystal Palace)

Second and third places

Pl- Daniel Bentley, Craig Dawson, Ben Mee, Charlie Taylor, Jay Rodriguez, Ryan Yates, James Tarkowski, Anthony Gordon, Jamaal Lascalles, Kobbie Mainoo, Luke Shaw, Levi Colwill, James Milner, James Ward - Prowse, Tyrick Mitchell, Phil Foden.

BBC - Bukayo Saka, Declan Rice, Keane Lewis - Potter, (Shandon Baptiste), Jay Rodriguez, Cameron Archer, Tino Livramento, Kieran Trippier, Harry Maguire Kobbie Mainoo, Cole Palmer, Trent Alexander - Arnold, James Ward - Prowse, Jarrod Bowen.

No BBC ratings for Nottingham Forest v Everton or Bournemouth v Aston Villa.

5. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Feel free to go through my previous comments. I have been critical of Trent for a long time.

Edit: And you haven't answered what is he going to do? Kind of important that.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  6. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Yes Keeper throws in 3 goals and Trent scores 2. 1 being the winner the logical conclusion is to drop Trent from the England Squad.

roverman repped this.
  7. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Trent is a match winner. Dropping him from the squad is ludicrous. Every other nation would have him in a heartbeat

Fireburn47 repped this.
  8. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I don't really see TAA being in much danger. The couple of times he's been dropped his form was legitimately poor for long periods then he turned it around. Id expect all of him, walker and trippier to go if fit given he will be considered a midfield option also and Trippier is the go to left back cover.

James has it all to do though, difficult to see how he makes it.

Gaz811, Fireburn47 and roverman repped this.
  9. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Because they're convinced he'll accept. They're desperate to steal him from us

10. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Can we drop him for the lackluster performances he put in the last two England games? Why exactly is Trent immune here. What has he done for England that warrants keeping?

Oh and I like the misdirection. The Goalie was at fault for the second goal. First went through his legs which was unlucky, second he should have saved, third how is that even his fault and not Tsimikas and the defense that let Cairney walk through? Can't blame Trent so lets find another scapegoat.

11. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    That Malta performance was one of the most marmite performances for an England player for sometime. So many journalists were saying he was man of the match and excellent when for me he wasn’t.

Khadrim, Inter Row Z and Gaz811 repped this.
  12. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  13. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I don't know what they are going on about on MOTD the Chelsea penalty was clearly a penalty.

14. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    Never had you down as a closet Premier League optimist, Gaz :)

Gaz811 and roverman repped this.
  15. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Manchester United could sell English midfielder Jadon Sancho, 23, and Dutch midfielder Donny van de Beek, 26, to Juventus for just £26m. (Sun)

16. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Pope out for 4-5 months apparently.

17. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Oh no.

Wonder if Newcastle will be tempted to consider Ramsdale?

Suspect this news will make Ramsdale less interested in moving through as he no longer has any real competition for a squad place. A goalkepper who has played as low as two matches in 2024 could be in a tournament squad because there are no other options.

Who would be next in line. Trafford? Butland? Steele? Fordingham?

18. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    Aaron Ramsdale's career choices right now will be governed by his desire to play football and prove his quality again. The idea that he's going to put his feet up now Pope is injured and be content as Raya's back-up is just plain daft.

19. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Think de Gea would be a much better (and easier) like for like choice for Newcastle than Ramsdale, and could play the majority of the 7-8 games between now and the FA third round.

Gaz811 repped this.
  20. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I mean in terms of pushing for a move in January that Arsenal do not want to approve compared to going in the summer when Arsenal will probably want the money from him.

21. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    It still isn’t an issue though if we have to take an undercooked Ramsdale to Germany as our third-choice keeper. Sam Johnstone is a solid enough back-up – and, as tournament bag-carriers like Richard Wright, Tom Heaton, Ben Foster, Jack Butland and Dean Henderson will testify, he’s unlikely to get used anyway.

roverman repped this.
  22. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    True but on May 10th 2021 Sam Johnstone was fourth choice for the Euros and he ended up second choice by the second match of the Euros.

Also not impossible Dean Henderson will be Palace’s first choice goalkepper come May anyway and Southgate has another issue on his hands.

23. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I don't really see where the 'issue' is if you have to call up a goalkeeper who is playing instead of a goalkeeper who needs to be replaced.

roverman repped this.
  24. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #10174 Fireburn47, Dec 4, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    I mean it’s not ideal having a goalkeeper in the squad full stop who is only getting on the pitch once or twice every couple of months. It doesn’t show a lot of depth for a team aiming to be the best in the continent.

25. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    What point are you trying to argue here. If Southgate thinks Ramsdale is better than the alternatives for the 3rd goalkeeping place, you'd rather he picks someone else because they have played more games?

Inter Row Z repped this.