England Senior National Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Dec 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I feel like Pep has been advised to ease him back in slowly due to this being his second return this season.

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Top English PL scorer -

IMG_1887.jpeg

Don’t think it will help Bowen playing as a CF. Doesn’t really suit his style.

Will be interesting to see if any player pulls away from the rest with their goals tally and how many of these make it to double figures.

Whoever tops it will get the headline come squad selection time. Quite a nice incentive.

roverman and AJ123 repped this.
  3. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    To be honest I Ithought he was out until Christmas.

4. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He's kind of unique I think though. I can't think of another player like him in his position past or present. I wonder how his career would've gone if he hadn't been at Liverpool when Klopp was. How would a Dagleish or Hodgson tried to have reconciled his qualities in their teams? I highly doubt he'd be playing as a full back anyway.

roverman repped this.
  5. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #10130 Fireburn47, Dec 3, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    Personally I hope Bowen will go back to his best position as soon as possible.

All much better than in 2010 where Heskey was taken on just 3 PL goals for the season and Crouch only had 8 as well. Gerard had 9 that season then was the main 3 of Defoe on 18, Lampard on 22 and Rooney on 26.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  6. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    That was the initial report but then Pep said it was quite a mild injury and he wouldn’t be out for many matches,

7. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    No English starters for Spurs.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  8. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    Not sure how significant finishing top of that list will be when our two alpha goalscorers are ripping it up in Germany and Spain. I just hope Ivan Toney picks up where he left off when he returns in January.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  9. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Foden scores for City.

Rodri out of Villa v City - could Phillips or Lewis get playing time as a result?

roverman repped this.
  10. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I think it's safe to say Phillips is done there, it will be Kovacic or Lewis or someone else.
    He will move hopefully next month.

roverman repped this.
  11. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Grealish gets his five yellow of the season and will be suspended for Villa v Man City.

12. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    We are picking a squad not a first XI.

MrBoombastic repped this.
  13. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Grealish scores his first goal since April.

14. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Man city really missing Stones 3-3

roverman and Fireburn47 repped this.
  15. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Another awful ref decision

Gaz811 repped this.
  16. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    The standard of refs at the moment is terrible. Even in Europe.

roverman repped this.
  17. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Premier League looks to be the closet in years.

18. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Just a random question. At the moment there are 3 English teenagers getting playing time in midfield at 3 top clubs, So out of Miley,Mainoo and Lewis who do think has the brightest future.

roverman and Fireburn47 repped this.
  19. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Rico Lewis kept going into midfield. He did well there but it meant we barely attacked down the left.
    It's the same problem as Trent, You are not solving the structural problem by sticking a player like that in there. The team as a whole may have played better with an actual left back. But we don't know that because Southgate is falling into the conundrum of sticking talented square pegs into round holes.

Playing Trent in midfield is the Gerrard Lampard midfield again. He doesn't fit the squad and should be dropped. From today's game, whilst it wasn't strictly Trent at fault, but there is a reason (we) Fulham scored three goals, two of which came from the left wing. Liverpools midfield and right hand side was full of holes we exploited. Sticking Trent in midfield did not resolve that issue for them.

20. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    By dropping Trent do you mean out of the Squad or Team? Because I wouldn't drop Trent out of the squad. He is quite literally a game changer off the bench.

roverman repped this.
  21. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Is gamechanger off the bench? He doesn't strike me as an impact player. What is he going to do?

And yes dump him from the squad.

22. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I mean hes a high quality player to have on the bench. I think you're just bit upset he scored a late winner against your team.

roverman repped this.
  23. toonarmy44

toonarmy44 Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Tyne and Wear
    Very hard to say at this stage but all look very good.

Rico Lewis has been around the longest with Mainoo and Miley only very recently starting games but its great to see 3 new exciting English youngsters getting starts for top clubs.

I can speak on Miley more as a Newcastle fan and he has impressed me with his football brain more than anything. He is a big gangly lad but so neat and tidy on the ball and always plays the right pass. Very good touch and is comfortable in tight areas. The fact Howe trusts him im big games at just 17 is very telling.

hussar, roverman and Gaz811 repped this.
  24. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Yes from the small amount I've seen of Miley he doesn't look out of place at all.

roverman and toonarmy44 repped this.
  25. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Going off youth level alone it’s Mainoo but we know it often doesn’t work that way.

We have a good idea of Lewis’ ceiling but we need both Miley and Mainoo to settle in senior football before we really have a good idea of how far they can go.

roverman and Gaz811 repped this.