England Senior National Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Dec 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I think left back is a bit of an issue with Shaw and Chilwell both being injury prone. I think there's certainly space for another right back in the squad that can play left back as well as Livramento is currently, especially given we played another youngster in Lewis out of position at left back in the last break. Obviously he has to prove it over a longer period but I think he's worth talking about.

2. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Goal for Trent at Liverpool. Will be the main talking point if he is left out (And send some journalists into a rage) but there is not really a proper place for him in the squad.
    Assist for Watkins at Villa.
    Goal for Coilwil at Chelsea.

3. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    You have to be realistic about depth, we are never going to maintain 5 world class players for one position permanently and neither do we need to.

if the worst case scenario for England going forward is we have to think of a better way to make a world class right back like Alexander Arnold fit in the team better, well that doesn’t seem so bad to me.

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Add in the fact that Southgate has disregarded numerous starting PL left backs and that Colwill got a senior start after very few games as a left back. Livramento’s competition for starts at club level is not the strongest either.

Players now come into contention almost by default because of the situation created.

Marcho Gamgee, roverman and Fireburn47 repped this.
  5. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    I do wonder if you’re a troll or just baiting. The next camp is 3-4 months away! Not sure why you’d speculate about players being left out at this stage, especially it causing rage

6. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    And we know Southgate likes Livramento as he has spoken about him several times recently and not in the way he sometimes mentions players who are doing well but that he doesn’t actually rate that well.

roverman and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  7. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I mean for the Euros not the next camp per see.

8. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Well that’s even longer away! Why do you try and make these pointless long term projections. Just observe the here and now.

roverman repped this.
  9. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    It is those surging runs that are unique and probably interest Southgate. There was a worry he might have lost that after his bad injury.

Early days and Livramento still has to prove himself but there a positive signs there.

Inter Row Z and roverman repped this.
  10. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Conor Gallagher sent off for two yellows.

11. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Dominic Solanke scores for Bournemouth. Seventh of the PL season.

ChristianSur and AJ123 repped this.
  12. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Dom Solanke bags his 7th of the season which currently leaves him joint 4th (with a few others) top scorer in the Prem this season.

ChristianSur, hussar and roverman repped this.
  13. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    He's also got a tackle in him too, which makes a nice change from your Ben Chilwells of this world, who are basically full-back-wingers. You want full backs who can defend first and drive forward second, and Tino ticks both the boxes.

Marcho Gamgee, roverman and Fireburn47 repped this.
  14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Foden and Walker start for Man City with Grealish, Philips, Stones and Lewis on the bench.

roverman repped this.
  15. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018

He's disregarding (by PL standards) mediocre defensive full backs like Mitchell and Henry. I can only think the reason to play them would be to get them cap-tied as back up. Rico Lewis offered much more than they can as a footballer playing out of position, as would Livramento.

roverman and Fireburn47 repped this.
  16. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018

Surely has to be in England contention sooner rather than later, he's so clearly better suited to the role England need in a line striker than virtually all other options.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a big move if he keeps this up given the scarcity of decent strikers, though the new contract he signed will make things more difficult.

ChristianSur, Toosaul, roverman and 2 others repped this.
  17. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Always liked Solanke but hes a bit like Loftus Cheek. Has all the talent but doesn't show enough. Hopefully he can stay at this level the whole season.

roverman, Fireburn47 and AJ123 repped this.
  18. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I prefer him to Wilson and Watkins as he has more to his game. As we saw in the last break Watkins is just useless against low blocks because there's no space for him to run into. Wilson is the same, although I think Wilson is better as a fox in the box than Watkins.

Toosaul and roverman repped this.
  19. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Watkins scores his 8th of the Pl season.

Trent scores his second of the match for Liverpool.

20. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    From what I've seen on twitter Trent having a good game for Liverpool.

21. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He scored what looked like a brilliant freekick but it's been given as an OG against the GK in the end I think. He scored the winning goal in the game with a good finish. Trent is a brilliant player but it's hard to translate his qualities and weaknesses to international tournament football.

roverman repped this.
  22. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    First goal attributed as own goal to leno

AJ123 and Fireburn47 repped this.
  23. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Trent is a player that when he plays well everyone is talking about in a way that many other players could put in the same level performance, even for big clubs, and not get the same level of hype.

AJ123 repped this.
  24. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    John Stones in the Subs for City.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  25. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The point was that disregarding those players creates a gap in the selection process for these newer options with far less PL appearance to come in.

AJ123 and Fireburn47 repped this.