England Senior National Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Dec 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Apparently some of the older Madrid fans say that the player he resembles most is Di Stefano.

2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I think Bellingham is far better than Gerrard

hussar repped this.
  3. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    He could be but Gerrard did it for 10 -15 years. Bellinghams having an amazing season but it could be a golden season. But if he keeps this up for a number of seasons then hes clearly the better player.

hussar and roverman repped this.
  4. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  5. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    Harry Maguire for me. I don't think he should be in England's first XI any more, but you can't help but admire the way he's stood his ground, blocked out the ridicule and reclaimed his position as United's go-to centre half.

6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    He reminds me of a combination of two players. Early Scholes and Gerrard. The surging powerful runs of Gerrard and Scholes’ timing, runs and finishing in the final third.

I’m not really getting the Zidane link. Maybe it is his build. Zidane was very unique.

Gaz811, roverman and Fireburn47 repped this.
  7. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  8. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Dominic Calvert - Lewin faces a late fitness check for Everton.

9. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Mainly the height I think, and a little bit of the shirt number. Most skillful players tend to be shorter, with a low centre of gravity. It's one reason Zidane stood out - he had the elegance of a smaller player in a large man.

hussar, Gaz811, roverman and 1 other person repped this.
  10. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    I just hope he doesn't nut someone in a final.

11. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    The draw for the Nations League Group for Autumn 2024 will be held in February in Paris. A must win group (Or win the promotion play off) to get back into League A and also because it affects qualification for World Cup 2026 and Euro 2028.

Austria, Czechia, Wales, Finland, Ukraine, Iceland, Norway. Slovenia, Republic of Ireland, Albania. Montenegro, Georgia, Greece, Türkiye and Kazakhstan in League B.

12. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Ollie Watkins absent for Villa tonight but I think he has just been rested.

13. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    the nations league isn’t very important for the World Cup.

The 2026 World Cup groups are seeded by FIFA world rankings, there will be 4 play off spots available through the nations league for each highest placed team who fails to reach a play off spot if England can’t even manage to finish runner up in our group we would have much bigger problems.

mind you, given the teams in the league B we have absolutely zero excuses to not be winning our group whatever it is.

roverman repped this.
  14. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looking forward to the draw on Saturday.

I'm not too worried about who we get, I think KO matches against the best teams tend to be where we struggle more (I actually think if the WC followed the format of the ODI cricket world cup in a table structure we'd have a much better record). I think the biggest positive would be to have France on the other side of the draw, as they are really the only stand out team IMO. Pray for that and anything is possible..

roverman repped this.
  15. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Zidane was classic music while Bellingham is rock and roll. The closest English player I've seen to Zidane is Loftus Cheek ( poundland version of course)

16. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Vote for Saka here -

roverman and Fireburn47 repped this.
  17. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    BBC Sport ratings European Football

Man of the Match
    TIno Livramento - PSG v Newcastle United
    Lewis Dunk - AEK Athens v Brighton

Player of their team

Tino Livramento - Newcastle United
    Lewis Dunk - Brighton

Second and Third places
    Nick Pope, Bukayo Saka, James Ward - Prowse, John Lundstram, Jack Butland, Angus MacDonald.

18. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016

19. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Voted

BarryfromEastenders and Fireburn47 repped this.
  20. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Arsenal are confident of agreeing a new long-term deal with England defender Ben White, 26. (Standard)

Juventus are hoping to complete a deal in January for Manchester United's 23-year-old England winger Jadon Sancho (Teamtalk)

Marc Guehi is keen to remain withCrystal Palace until the summer transfer window to boost his chances of making England's squad for Euro 2024. The 23-year-old defender is attracting interest from Manchester United and Newcastle. (90min)

21. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  22. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

23. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  24. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #10049 Slater582, Dec 1, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    Were you a fan of Sheringham?

I wonder how highly Southgate rates Dean Henderson. I assume Palace spent near enough £20 Million with the intention for him to be their first choice so Sam Johnstone could've ended up no.2 at his own club were it not for injury.

Always thought number six is the position England have most struggled to produce players for so a surplus in that area of the field would be quite something. Has there ever been a time when England were spoilt for choice in that position?

So the FIFA rankings are of some importance then despite many on the internet insisting they are irrelevant.

Hopefully England maintain a high ranking, next two opponents are directly below in fourth and fifth.

roverman repped this.
  25. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #10050 Fireburn47, Dec 1, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    He seemed to rate Dean Henderson a bit when he was involved before but there wasn’t obviously tons of competition I am not sure what he would do if he had to choose between Henderson and Pope - In March 2021 Pope was clearly ahead of him.