Elon Musk needs his own thread because he's in every damn thing

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Feb 10, 2023.

1. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The clearance on the truck is great. More than enough for most of roading. It's not the issue.

The problem is tied into poor approach and departure angles for off roading.

2. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #1202 zaqualung, Dec 1, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2023

The problem with the internet generation is that they tend to equate having the combo of an uncontrollabe big mouth, financial success and ubiquity with genius (and this across multi strata).
    Musk simply sickens my guts.....

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
  4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NORML repped this.
  5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  6. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get that at all. The passenger compartment is not impacted at all - the crumple zone at the front of the car takes the impact. (And because it's an EV, there's no massive engine block getting pushed back into the passenger compartment.) The Model S had some of the best safety ratings and crash test results ever - the Cybertruck may look like an incel's wet dream but Tesla knows how to make cars that keep the people inside them relatively safe.

celito and superdave repped this.
  7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah.. Lots of people who have never or rarely seen a crash test are making a lot of noise about the front end.. the front is supposed to act like that. As in, it is literally designed to crumple like that. I don’t see any intrusion into passenger cabin and air bags look like they deployed properly.. obviously they don’t show anything inside the cabin so we don’t know how the crash dummies behaved, but from an exterior view, that looks like how a car should behave..

spejic repped this.
  9. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    You're much more likely to die from embarrassment then

SamScouse repped this.
  10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The front end is also meant to crumple so it protects them passengers in the car you hit. That Tesla looks like it's ready to decapitate the occupants of the sports car in front of it.

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Eels needs to go all in like this. He can dress up like SuperDave

12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Terminal Mockery.

13. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay… I’ll have to revise my comment about this being a good crash test… I didn’t notice in the video, but it appears that the back wheels snapped off in the front end test.. that shouldn’t happen.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the body is one rigid piece and it's transmitting some of the energy from the crash up front to break things in the back, that's bad, like the vehicle shouldn't be approved for use in the US bad. But I still don't see how the "fragile meatsacks" get killed from that video. Nobody has a great day if they drive into a wall at 35 MPH but those crash test dummies should walk away from that accident. (I mean, not literally, crash test dummies are inanimate objects and can't walk on their own.)

ceezmad and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  15. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

You knew this was coming:

16. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe? It could also mean the crumple zone isn’t large enough. If that’s the case, that’s a lot of energy going into the meatsacks and while they are likely walking away, they are really sore.

17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's a street car - more like all those SUVs pretending to be jeeps

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The rear axle doesn't survive a under 60 km/h collision. Also it failed the rolling test at all speeds exceeding 16 mph.

19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right but the purpose of a crash test is to evaluate the safety of the passenger compartment and to a lesser extent the passenger compartment of the car it hits. The rest of the car is 100% expendable. And it's not like the gas tank is going to explode.

celito repped this.
  20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1220 Yoshou, Dec 2, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
    What failed on the roll test? What they showed in the video was that the car didn’t roll, which is very hard for an EV to do given how low the center of gravity.

The rear wheels breaking free doesn’t necessarily mean it failed the test. As Paul mentioned, what’s important is the passengers. The Insurance companies won’t like it, of course, but the US’s highway safety admin likely wouldn’t care.

celito repped this.
  21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am not a truck guy and frankly don't care for the looks of the Cyber Truck. Don't know if it's gonna succeed or fail. Not even sure if they expect big volume sales or for it just to be a niche product. But the fact that it has drive by wire (and I think the first car to have it) is actually interesting and a cool feature if it works as designed and is reliable. I wouldn't have it in a sports car, but for a big car like a truck, it's definitely interesting.

22. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was looking for roll tests for other popular trucks - the top selling vehicles in the US are the Ford F-series, the Chevy Silverado and the Dodge Ram, all pickups (link - the Toyota Rav-4 is 4th and the Tesla Model Y is 5th). Those things look pretty tippy to me - I saw a pickup truck making a left turn yesterday and it had a noticeable tilt. I don't think they would do well on the roll test at all, which is a thing that the Model S excelled at. Maybe the Cybertruck undid all of those safety advantages that were built in to the Model S (and presumably the Models 3 and Y) but with that big battery pack lower than the center of gravity of those pickup trucks, it should do better than the standard American pickup truck.

Anyways, I was looking for video of roll tests like that for other trucks, and couldn't find them. It sounds like that test isn't mandatory. Tesla does it because they do pretty well at it in comparison to other vehicles. I bet a Ford F-150 rolls over at a lot less than 16 MPH.

23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  24. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France

I just realized what it reminds me of - the armored vehicle Sigourney Weaver drove in Aliens when the aliens were first attacking the marines.

25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Some kind of Mission Control wannabe jacket and a Casio?

Belgian guy repped this.