Electric Vehicles discussion (was NJ bans Tesla dealerships)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by puttputtfc, Mar 12, 2014.

1. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post--new-jersey-kills-the-electric-car-is-ohio-next

I wasn't sure where to put this so if I make the mod do a little extra work I apologize.

NJ is banning Tesla dealerships and Ohio and NY are considering it as well. The article states it's due to the company owning the dealerships as opposed to individuals and compares the business model to Apple. So I ask why are cars sold differently than other products? I am also wondering if this is to curb advances in electric cars.

luftmensch and msilverstein47 repped this.
  2. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The short answer is because our governments, at both the state and local levels, are run by corporations and the rich. In this case, NJ Auto Dealers want a piece of the action, so they spent some lobbying money, and viola -- the market has spoken -- people can't purchase an item they want.

Father Ted and msilverstein47 repped this.
  3. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a ********ing joke.

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not supposed to be just cars. In theory US law prevents stove piping in which the same company is the sole manufacturer of a product and the sole source to buy that product. By being the sole manufacturing source and retail source for their cars, Tesla is violating that law. The difference here between Apple manufacturing Apple projects and having Apple stores is that Apple products are still available in other retail establishments. So even though Apple controls the entire manufacturing to retail process with its stores, it still has competition with the non-Apple stores that its products are available in..

That being said, MattR is not wrong.

superdave and msilverstein47 repped this.
  5. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What it really comes down to is that state associations of car dealers are a powerful and organized lobbying group. It's hard to make an argument in favor of having to buy your car through a parasitic middleman rather than directly from the manufacturer. Car buying is still stuck in the mid-20th century.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  6. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a stupid, outdated concept.

7. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 Yoshou, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    You'll appreciate this, MitH. The new marijuana laws in the Washington prevent growers from being the retailers for the product they grow and they are limiting co-ops to a max of four people. The current fear is that it will shutdown the independent medical marijuana stores in Washington and push them into the medical marijuana users into the commercial marijuana stores.

8. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That said, the profit dealerships make on new cars isn't anywhere near as high as people think. It's about 2-3%.

They actually make loads on financing, and all those accessories that get added on.

And servicing of course, which is a massive source of income. About a third of every servicing bill is profit. Parts is about a quarter profit. A key statistic for every dealership is something called absorption, which is the degree that the money made from aftersales covers all the costs of the while dealership.

Manufacturers also supply vehicles to dealerships at a basic price because it's in their interest to shift them. By allowing dealerships to sell them, they don't need to cover the cost of running dealerships. It a false assumption that doing away with dealerships would see prices lowered. Manufacturers of almost everything don't sell direct for a reason.

9. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What they said. This is indefensible. Chris Christie needs to withdraw from public life ASAP.

10. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if the commercial stores hire a pharmacist can they fill scripts?

11. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have I mentioned that my wife works for Tesla? And we have a Model S? It's ********ing awesome, you all should try driving one someday.

I was going to add an obligatory jab about how Republicans, the party of free markets and small government, are the ones who made this happen in New Jersey, but that point is so obvious and trite that it really doesn't add anything to the conversation. So I'm mostly posting to let you all know that we have a Tesla.

12. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much are those things?

13. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Base model is about $70K but you need to spend more to make it fully awesome. Ours was over $90K, just over 100K with CA state taxes. That does not include the tax credits and such which are about $10K in California.

14. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And how is your electric bill?

15. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully no one believes this crap anymore.

Chris Christie is a terrible human being.

16. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The car business is the only industry I can think of where you have to go and pick whatever is available, then fight over the price.

What I want is to be able to go onto Ford's website, pick my car with all the options I want, get a price quote, then have it delivered to my house a few weeks later.

FormerGermanGuy, dapip, M and 3 others repped this.
  17. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much unchanged because we do most of our charging at work. Tesla offers free charging for Teslas. We're spending a lot less on gasoline now though.

18. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think electric cars are the future, but I don't see people shifting over to them until they drop in price significantly.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can not replace all cars with electrics, not enough materials for the batteries.

It has to be mix, gas, oil, electric, hydrogen, maybe even solar in some places (Australia, Egypt, Arizona).

guignol repped this.
  20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Electric cars don't meaningfully affect an electric bill. I spend 50 cents a day for my daily commute on electricity for my Nissan Leaf. Yes I do have a good electric rate, but still.

guignol repped this.
  21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    For family/personal cars electric is going to be the way. If your commute is less than 40 miles per day I think most (all?) electric/hybrid vehicles are designed with that number in mind. Trucks and buses are a different because they have longer routes and they use more energy but they are also increasing the participation of electricity in their mixture.

Yep, I usually don't like the guys featured in that video but this seems to be the right move.

22. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I can see where it would be an advantage to have a Tesla w/a small solar panel in Germany as it's a lot sunnier there. I read that somewhere recently. :whistling:

ElJefe, Naughtius Maximus and dapip repped this.
  23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've taken a few rides in an associates Tesla Model S, which is a sweet car. My only complaint, it's so ********ing quiet. I used to have a 300ZX back in the day with a nice Greddy exhaust. You knew when you were opening that thing up on the highway. With the Tesla we were joking around making noises like the car was accelerating really fast.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great looking car and am totally onboard with an electric vehicle. There's just some things you miss when driving.

24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe medical marijuana requires a pharmacist in WA. :) But the issues are that there is way more medical marijuana shops than there will be commercial and that there won't be the variety of symptom specific strains available in commercial shops.