Elber to Metros

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by SoccerScout, Dec 5, 2004.

1. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Read in an article that Brazilian Elber is rumoured to come to Metros...any details on this?

2. 11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15 Red Card

Nov 30, 2003
    Fla - SC - Eire
  3. 11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15 Red Card

Nov 30, 2003
    Fla - SC - Eire
    I have heard from a few reliable people that the Metros were looking at either Mostovoi and Kamalanov...I really killed those names but most of us would know them as the veteran Russian international's who play over in Spain. Both play an attack midfielder role and while they may be a bit on in age they still have a ton of class left in both of them. I heard there was a firm offer on the table for one of them. I'll try and find an actual link for this as I think there is a mention of this on the ITV website.

4. GunnerSabotTank

GunnerSabotTank New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    Middlesex, NJ
    Player link:

http://www.soccersaints.com/mostov.htm

Mostov is a prima doma - and an old one at that (37 next year.) Def. not the type of player I was hoping we would sign.

www.soccernet.com had a article a few days ago where he suggested he was retiring (and unhappy about it.)

5. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Anybody have anything on Diego Simeone? Isn't he on the bench of Atletico Madrid? Wouldn't he be the perfect complement to Gueverra?

What about Karembeu? Gorgeous wife. Pretty good player, can def. handle defensive duties. These are the players we should be looking for. Strengthen the core of the team, lets build from the back forward. I would rather have a team right now, that kills games, but scores 1 or 2 a game, instead of a team that lights ******** up, but can't defend.

6. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. Might as well have some eye candy in the stands, eh?

Any pictures to back up this claim?

7. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    take your pick...

Adriana Sklenarikova

8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Mostovoi is brilliant. I watched him play against Ireland in Euro 2004 qualifying, and he was really great. He could have one more season in him.

9. Metro_tico

Metro_tico New Member

Mar 31, 1999
    Do we really want players who have just one season left in them??

I think we should be looking for players who can come and give us at least 3 good years....i.e. Guevara

10. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The league is structured such that you really have to try and win each year -- you can't plan for three years down the road. To the extent that we could take a long term view when Bob was hired, that time has passed. We need to win, and the sooner the better.

11. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    diego has a lot of miles on him, I dont think he'd be a good addition. A couple of seasons back (when he was still a decent Serie A midfielder) he would have been a great add.

Besides he's about to go into coaching I believe....I dont think he plays much at Atletico now..

12. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    exactly lets just win ONE freaken ring and worry about it later

13. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

Yea, I have noticed this also. No team, that has said they are going to rebuild over the longterm through young players, has actually won in MLS. Most of the champions, have been the result of quick fixes. We could be the exception!

14. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could be the exception -- but I wouldn't bet on it. Looking over the list of this league's championship teams, it's striking how many veterans they each had. Productive, healthy veterans -- but veterans none the less.

15. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If one or two players can get you over the hump, then that is what you do.

16. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no one with so many injury problems should be brought over to play at Giants Stadium...One bad turn on Field Turf, it becomes one useless deal, not to mention how it affets a player confidence and willingness to keep playing hard on such a field....

17. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    One more reason why they gotta get out of that place.

Right now, they need a European vet. MLS has more of a Euro playing style and the Latin playing style that the Metros have really isn't getting them anywhere. I love watching these guys go one on one with an opposing defense, but that isn't getting them anywhere besides their face on the ground. I think that they should keep Amado at AM and Rico at DM. The wings are fine as they are right now. Up top, someone gotta go. Woly needs to be on the bench. I'm a big Woly fan, but he's not a 90 minute impact player, he's a super sub. Galvan Rey is a good back up for Amado, but if that's to be true, his contract needs to be fixed. Either Taylor or Glen have to go.

They need one hard nosed striker and a creative forward who can pass and do damage with goal scoring. Ideally, this would be the Mathis-Valencia duo of 2000. Valencia played with his back to the goal and Mathis did the creative job. Glen or Taylor can fill in for Valencia, but they need to stay healthy and need to stay on their feet. I'm tired of watching them flop with their every possession. I think Magee could play the role of the "Mathis" type player, but he needs to improve a bit more, which he has over time, so faith is to be kept. As for the big signing, I think they need a defender. Parke and Lietch are locks. Pope...he's too inconsistant. Bonseu had a nice season on the defensive wing, can he do that again? That spot or CB needs to be filled.

They need one more forward and hopefully another consistant defender.

18. IncaEnclave

IncaEnclave Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    you all just need a better defense...pope is good but your other guys just are not talented enough...i thought the metros were one of the highest scoring teams this year...i say drop galvan rey and try to get a big name up top but that's wishful thinking and as a DCU fan i'm not too sure whether i really want you guys to improve ;)

19. IncaEnclave

IncaEnclave Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    you all just need a better defense...pope is good but your other guys just are not talented enough...i thought the metros were one of the highest scoring teams this year...i say drop galvan rey and try to get a big name up top but that's wishful thinking and as a DCU fan i'm not too sure whether i really want you guys to improve ;)

20. Section113

Section113 New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    Boonton
    Well at least two DC fans are in agreement.

21. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    And they're right. They need a vocal CB and a consistant LB because Bonseu isn't getting any younger.

22. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
  23. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
  24. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    yeah i dont see MLS beating 1.2mil.....................maybe several years ago (luiz hernandez, lothar, etc...)

THe only way we can get a talented euro is if he really really wants to play here.

I think we should focus more on the west indies and central america for talent anyway. keep our eyes peeled and look for the next dwight yorke, stern john, damani ralph

25. PYordan

PYordan New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Pamplona, Spain
    Mostovoi is a bullet dodged. You just don't want a player who's attitude is that he's doing you a favor when he shows up on time to games.

Simeoni is retiring.

You could gamble on Luis Enrique's health and try to entice him out of retirement.