EL TROFEO SANTIAGO BERNABÉU: Real Madrid CF vs Sporting CP...30.08.07[R]

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by macaluca, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nachito455

nachito455 New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Mexico
    as a soccer fan and a person this has actually hit me really hard...i live in mexico and even everyone knows about this over here...it has actually changed my philosophy on soccer its self..how really at the end of the day its only a game and how much these players risk sometimes..this guy wanst only a soccer player, he had a girlfreind and he was less than a moth away from becoming a dad...he gave sevilla players all great joy when qualified them into the UEFA cup and i think as soccer fans as well as people we have the obligation and have good courstay and be kind hearted and accept that some very insignificant freindly is much less important, relevant or significant than the life of someone who not only is a soccer player but was aparently a brilliant person...i already said it..soccer wise, teusday was one of the saddest days i have ever had

2. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    That makes absolutley no sense. So you can't pay respect to or mourn someone you didn't hang out with? And besides that, it isn't us mourning him it is our club doing so as a sign of respect or support or whatever you want to call it. I am glad they decided to do that. What does that have to do with anyone here hanging out with him. Sorry, that makes no sense to me at all.

You have your opinion; we have ours - too bad you think it's stupid. This isn't a difference of opinion about "is so and so overrated" or "is this one better than that one" ... this is about something that different people deal with very differently. If you told us that you thought our opinions about a specific player were stupid - I might live with that. But saying that it is stupid to cancel again as a sign of respect for a fellow professional's funeral, that just isn't right.

It isn't us cancelling the game, it is the club. The connection between our club and Sevilla and the connection between our players and Sevilla players is what matters - not whether we hung out with him.

azriel, that was a dissapointing post on your part.

3. azriel

azriel Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    San Diego, USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What makes no sense to me is how people here react as if they knew the guy. "this one of the saddest days of my life... reactions", i mean c'mon, one of the saddest days of my life is when one of my childhood friends died in a car accident and the other is going to live in a wheel chair for the rest of his life. But cmon, for a stranger that you see on TV... i mean i think it just too overdramatic.

You pretty much got it there. I never called anyone of YOUR opinions stupid. You answered yourself, it was the club that cancelled the game, not YOURS. How is that me thinking YOUR opinion is stupid, i never implied that. Unless you of course as socio, had poll that voted against it.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but in general overdramatism and hypocrisy is something that i have small tolerance for.
    Maybe it was the right decision, maybe not. But i think the club should have honored it in a different way, during the game. Just as Barca.

No seas mamon. Your mexican and you said this is one of the saddest days of your life, let me ask you this, and you dont have to answer if you dont want. Why arent you sad about the number of ilegal immigrants that die everyday trying to cross the border? Sometimes they are entire families, they are all over the news. How is their death they different from a public figure? Or a Albanil ( construction worker ) with 3 kids that died because he coudlnt afford to go to the doctor?
    How much these players risks? are you kidding me? an F1 / Rally driver risk their lives. A cop risks their lives. Un futbolista? No seas mamon!

4. Madrid_Yank

Madrid_Yank New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Why should you be the judge on what's considered sad and emotional for people based on your own past experiences?

5. azriel

azriel Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    San Diego, USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Judge?. Huh?

What part of the "To me" and "I think" part didn't you read?

6. Madrid_Yank

Madrid_Yank New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Azriel, you have every right to think people are being over-dramatic and what not but you have no right to post a message saying that people shouldn't be saying things like, "this is the saddest day of my life". I don't F***ing care if you put I think, to me, in my opinion, or whatever. People have different feelings, sensitivities, and emotional stabilities than you. And don't compare tragedies in your life to this one, telling people that those are the kind of things that should make them sad, not this. We've all had shit happen to us in life, some more than others, but it's not a game to see who's tragedy is the worst. If some people are deeply affected by this regardless of where they live and feel its "the saddest day of their lives" then let them be. Calling them "over dramatic" just shows your lack of respect to the feelings of the human race. Think it to yourself, write it in your diary, but don't call people out on a sensitive topic like this.

7. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    To put a spin to azriel's argument:

AEK asked UEFA to postpone the match because of the fires that broke out across the country, putting relatives of players on the street, and burning down their home towns.There are hundreds that are homeless now, and close to 70 dead people because of the current fire crisis in the country.AEK striker Liberopoulos was basically in tears when he said that football doesn't have a meaning to him in a press conference, as his hometown has been one of the places that got hit the hardest.

UEFA denied.

Sevilla asked UEFA to postpone the match because of Puerta passing away.

UEFA agreed.

It should be noted that Sevilla has agree with AEK's initial proposal to the UEFA to postpone the match.

A newspaper in Greece asks exactly that, did a young football player have to die for the match to be postponed, wasn't a national tragedy enough?

I think both choices[to play and not to play] are both right and wrong depending on who you ask.

8. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    I must have misunderstood the part where you are telling people that they shouldn't feel the way they are feeling.

I am willing to bet that if the game was played, people would not have been bitching and moaning. All we are saying is that we agree with the clubs decision.

Why do people's feelings bother you so much? Because to me it seems like it does. This is about people agreeing with the club's decision. What's the problem? Seriously.

I can't believe we are having discussion. It is absolutely ridiculous. Whether you think the game should have been cancelled or not it is asinine to be arguing about how people should be feeling about or reacting to this. Like I said, dissapointing.

9. Achillean

Achillean Member

Apr 13, 2005
    I agree with the decicion the club made to suspend the match because it falls in the same day the player is having his funeral. it would have been inapropriate to have such a festive mood on a day where most likeley all spain is mourning.

The club feels a direct involvement because puerta played just 10 ago in the bernabeu and sevilla is part of the league.

10. nachito455

nachito455 New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Mexico
    to quote my self..."i live in mexico"..doesnt really mean in mexican just to point out...and to quote my self again "soccer wise, teusday was one of the saddest days of my life....

the rest of your post is just blabber trying to incorporate much more broad topics which have no relevance at all....

as a soccer fan, and a person it was a huge impact to me because i take soccer a an entertainment and have never seen such a sad thing...how old are you? ok im not very old, i havent lived long enough to see other huge soccer tradegys, and this is by far the worst feeling i could have as a soccer fan...

to change things around..as a soccer fan, isnt this one of the most tradgic events in the last decade...i think we owe it to Puerta and to soccer to give this man his proper farewell and not have his funeral and a soccer game which people will be entretained with on the same week, let alone the same day..in spain that is.

i dont want to discuss this with you anymore but i just feel terrible about this and i think it was pure class what madrid did..pure class...!!!!

11. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    I'm glad they didn't play the game. It's a friendly, a festive game. I believe there is no mood for festive games in Spain right now.

12. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    I have no problem with that...as I said it comes down to a personal decision.

As that follows on from the laudrup comment, I am not sure if that is aimed at me or not, If so,,,I am sad for him and his friends and family. I am sad as I am sad for the friends and family of anyone who dies so young. It maybe touches us more because as you point out, it is not some anonymous name it is a name we can put a face to, someone I saw collapse and now know has died.
    That being said, I am not in mourning, my life carries on its happy way;) and it is not affecting my day to day life.
    Of course that is true...but it is not us who have stopped our planned activities...it is the club. And in their case most of them did know him.
    You may have missed the point in my post where I said...
    "but I think you only have to look at the reaction in Spain to know that regardless of whether you see the outpouring of emotion across the country as over the top or not, it is real and heartfelt nonetheless"...in other words, you may feel the outpouring of emotion is too much (a view I have some sympathy with), but it is still a real enough feeling that had to be taken into account.
    Again I think the impact of his death has impacted throughout Spanish football, not just Sevilla, for right or wrong, and the club had to take account of that. You may not agree with the decision but it would not have been one taken lightly. The club would only have taken it if they felt there was no way to play the game.
    As I said, I can see both sides...I just tend to side with the clubs decision...but that is just my personal view.

13. redondo4me

redondo4me New Member

May 26, 2006
    London
    Stop arguing guys. Every person is different and has his own way of looking at things. If this wasnt the case we did all be after the same things in life !!

The club did what they felt was the right thing, farca did what they felt was right. Just accept it and let it be. There is no right or wrong in such things.

14. NYM10000

NYM10000 New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    New York
    Well, I was able to get a refund at the ticket window. :rolleyes: Its very unfortunate that Madrid suspended the match, but I certainly understand given the circumstances. Because this is the height of the travel season, and because tickets for this match was unusually and understandably easy to get, many of the team´s international supporters (like myself) were disappointed. This game, although a friendly, was a chance for many people to attend a game that normally would not have an opportunity to. Standing in line waiting for tickets, I mean, you´d swear there was a UN meeting going on with all the different languages being spoken. Considering Real Madrid has such lofty global ambitions, like many of the big clubs in Europe, I´m also sure the marketing department wasn´t all that thrilled either.

15. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    Well said. This thread can probably be closed.

16. blanc

blanc Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Los Galácticos
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Gutted for you NYM; enjoy the other delights of Madrid ;)

17. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread has run its course.