EL TROFEO SANTIAGO BERNABÉU: Real Madrid CF vs Sporting CP...30.08.07[R]

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by macaluca, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madrid_1902

Madrid_1902 Member+

Jul 6, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Now lets all crack open tins of beer and talk about how much better we are than these pretty boys. :p

2. TehReaper

TehReaper Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Dallas,TX
    lol....just train as much as they do and get there bodies....lol makes your gfs forget about them =D!...hehe

3. madridismo

madridismo Member+

Feb 28, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What we'd all do to have a GF like you, Horsey :D . My ex-GF has a crush on Kaka.

This picture she has on her wall always makes me laugh :D

[​IMG]

What I wouldn't give for a girlfriend who is a Madrid fan! I'd take her even if she had the personality of a crab.

4. Naughty by Nature

Naughty by Nature New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Earth: Europe : ??
    Why would one make such a post in a football forum? .. It makes one seem rather pathetic to be honest.

5. TehReaper

TehReaper Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Dallas,TX
    lol brazilian love....imaging that in madrid ....only one can wish!! =(!!

6. Raul-7

Raul-7 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 17, 2006
    I'm right here. :p

Anyways, it's great that they did this in honor of Puerta; it really wasn't worth it.

7. Raul-7

Raul-7 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 17, 2006
    Convince her by telling her Valencia is probably one of the best cities in Spain.

8. RealMadGunner

RealMadGunner Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ^But i thought one of the best cities in Spain !!

9. redondo4me

redondo4me New Member

May 26, 2006
    London
    Are farca cancelling their Gamper trophy with Inter?

10. Guti.h 14

Guti.h 14 New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    I think is really good they have canclled this game. And the speach form Calderon as well was nice. Man i was so so sad when i fould out he had died last night:(

I dont think there is point playing the Trofeo this year. Might as well just wait till next

11. Raul-7

Raul-7 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 17, 2006
    No, they are only canceling the pre-game celebrations.

12. Guti.h 14

Guti.h 14 New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    There are heartless them clowns up in barca i hate them even more now

13. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    They are donating money to some institution that deals with treating the problem Puerta had...

14. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Considering that probably nobody in Spain is in any mood for footie now, it is kind of weird that they insist to play, especially since it's for a basically meaningless Cup.

Even athletes in the IAAF Osaka WC mentioned Antonio Puerta, with a few of them being not even Spanish.

15. Guti.h 14

Guti.h 14 New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Ok fare enough

16. TehReaper

TehReaper Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Dallas,TX
  17. laudrup

laudrup BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2005
    Call me insensitive, but I only see reasons to suspend the competitions that Sevilla is participating in - by all means, they could've suspended all 10 matches in the weekend and it would make much more sense than suspending mid-week friendlies which are completely unrelated to Sevilla and their horrible ordeal.

These games (Bernabeu & Gamper) have sold a lot of tickets, as well as advertising and TV rights. One poster in these boards has been screwed over after flying from NY to watch these games. It is extremely unprofessional on the part of the clubs to call these games off in the face of a tragedy that only touched them tangentially. There is a place for mourning Sevilla's loss and there is a place for getting on with it. The Bernabeu (and the Gamper) are an example of the latter. I was in Madrid on March 13, 2004, and it was game on despite the fact that 200 people had just died. I know because I was in the stands.

In fact, I find Barca's posture much more honest and refreshing than ours. They play, because they have an obligation to their fans and to their partners, but they eliminate all the festive mood from the occasion and they donate part of the proceedings to a suitable charity. The fans are satisfied and Puerta's memory is served much better by helping it to never happen again.

When incidents like these happen, it is obviously impossible to poll the ticketholders to see if they want to play or suspend. But if a poll was done, we all know that the game would have happened, maybe because some people are inhumanly selfish and maybe because a lot of them would want the show to go on. As long as one single ticketholder wants the game to happen, we need to honour the contract we signed when he bought the ticket. Anything else is grandstanding and empty gestures.

I call it how I see it.

18. demogorgon

demogorgon Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Rep for that post Laudrup. It so refreshing to fin a Madrid fan who actually doesn't despise everything Barca does. They did cancel the pre game program, and I'm sure just like Madrid players most of Barca players are devastated. As you said, show must go on, but Puerta will live in our hearts forever.

19. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    A very interesting post laudrup...and one that certainly made me question my own thoughts about the situation.
    While I see the argument for being professional and honouring contracts , I personally think football is about so much more than that , and that above all it is about doing the right thing.
    It just seems to me that given the feelings in Spanish football and indeed the football community in general, yesterday and today, playing the game would not be the right thing to do.

I do realise that we can question whether a game played by madrid or indeed barca should be affected by what has happened in Sevilla, but I think you only have to look at the reaction in Spain to know that regardless of whether you see the outpouring of emotion across the country as over the top or not, it is real and heartfelt nonetheless. Faced with that feeling (and with having to make a decision almost on the spot), I think it is pretty harsh to call it grandstanding. In my view it was the right decision.
    While I have great sympathy for NYM10000, (and indeed if I had travelled from here to the game my view might be different) ...my own guess would be that the majority of those there would be locals and not too many would be bothered about the game going ahead with the sadness hanging over football this week...even before this weeks tragic events I believe madrid were giving away free tickets to socios in order to try and fill the stadium.
    I do accept that the game could have been turned into a homage for Puerta (as Barca are doing) and perhaps it comes down to whether you can face playing a meaningless friendly in the circumstances...and that is purely a personal decision with no right or wrong answer.
    Bearing in mind that the team had played Sevilla and Puerta twice in the last month and that many will have known him personally (Ramos being the obvious one)... it is totally understandable as to why they would want to cancel the game. It may be an empty gesture but in circumstances like this, sometimes all we can do is make that gesture...however small it may be.

I don't think you can compare the situation with that of 11-M either because in that case the game went on for a very specific reason...as a manifestation of the Madrid's and indeed Spain's defiance against terrorism. There was a feeling that the game had to go ahead or we would be giving in to the evil of 11-M...I really don't see that same desire for the game to go ahead tonight.

By the same token please don't feel that I am having a go at Barcelona...I am not. As I have said, in the end it may just come down to a personal decision about how you want to react, or indeed honour Puerta...the clubs have to do what they feel is right, and that will differ from club to club in the same way as our opinions differ on the correct response. It does not mean you cannot respect the other viewpoint.
    On a more practical level Barca may well have faced different logistical problems in cancelling the game yesterday as it could well be that a lot of Italians (including perhaps Inter) had already travelled to Spain and to cancel the game would have caused bigger disruption (as was the case after the Recre fans' roadcrash last season). Perhaps we did not face that problem.

Whatever your opinions on the matter, I don't think today is the day to reproach the actions of either club.

20. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    I agree with macaluca, I would have cancelled the games... especially a friendly. In my opinion, I think there would be a lot reminding us of the Puerta situation to make the matches feel awkward: moment of silence, black armbands, dedicating goals to Puerta, etc.

I just don't feel that playing a match the day of his funeral makes sense.

21. azriel

azriel Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    San Diego, USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I totally agree with Laudrup.

Call me insensitive too, but why are you guys are so sad / down / acting like you actually knew the guy in person? Do you guys knew him personally? Did you guys hung out with him?

or its because he was a public figure and you saw him running in TV? Heck maybe you even saw him collapse, but the truth is, hard working people die everyday in silence, under sadder circumstances and no one cancels / stop their planned activities because of that.

Life must go on, and I think its stupid and overdramatic to cancel a game that doenst involve Sevilla directly.

22. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I didn't HUNG out with him.....freakin BS! If ********in Ronaldinho or Casillas died I bet no one on here would have any objections to cancelling that week's matches...But, because its a lesser known player on Sevilla, we are being over-sensitive...horseshit.

Some of these guys played with him, almost all have played against him, and its a reminder of the frailty of life...The games will go on, just a few days later...these are glorified friendlies anyway, so its not that unreasonable to cancel a meaningless match to honor a player's memory after a tragic and unexpected death...on the pitch as it was.. come on now.

23. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's a matter of collegiality between the Spanish football Clubs.

24. patrickn

patrickn New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    California
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I agree with Laudrup. I think clubs that are not directly involved with Sevilla can better serve Puerta's memory and recognize the fragility of life by holding the match, having a moment of silence, dedicating the league games to him, and celebrating his life with a fireworks display after the game.

25. SYRIA

SYRIA Member

Jul 5, 2007
    NZ
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Syria
    INSENSITIVE! and rude! :mad: