El indecido me molesta, si no me quiero, Transfer Thead 2016

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by total_football, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Different summer. Alonso was available in the summer of 2008. He moved to Real in the summer of 2009 after Rafa alienated him by trying to replace him with Gareth Barry.

Taking Wenger at his word then is odd because he only said that sort of thing when stadium limitations were an issue, and he hasn't held off on acquiring good players because they would inhibit young players since then, and he didn't before Arsenal started having financial limitations.

Also, to be fair, Denilson and Diaby not making it does give me some sadness. Diaby, for obvious reasons, but Denilson in 2008/2009 was arguably the best midfielder in the league at 22. Led the league in passes completed and interceptions, and was fifth in tackles, while having to cover for Fabregas as well.

charlie15 and daedalus repped this.
  2. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #7477 casoccerdad47, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    It's easy to criticize 8 years on when the circumstances at the time aren't fresh in your mind. Diary and Denison were both healthy at the time. Denilson played 51 games for Arsenal in 08-09. Diary played 36 games that year and 40 the next, Based on their youth and the potential they had shown, Wenger may have been justified in suggesting that buying Alonso for what would at the time have been a club record transfer fee, would hinder their development. Unfortunately, Arsene wasn't prescient, he couldn't know at the time that injuries would curtail both their Arsenal careers. Hindsight is always 20/20.

It's also worth noting that the season before he was initially made available, Alonso struggled with a metatarsal injury and played less than 20 premier league games.

lynesjc, Shen-O and charlie15 repped this.
  3. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    My B. But we still spent 40m euros that year. The money was there. Maybe we couldn't have bought nasri and Alonso both...hard to say. But from AW's love affair with Denilson and diaby I can see why he chose to spend he money on the flank instead of centrally.

Back then it was more about controlling the wage structure and balancing incoming players with outgoing ones. The constant notion that the club was cash strapped for 10 years is bogus and we've all argued it thoroughly I think. We did need to maintain a solid wage budget so that might have had some influence, but no doubt in my kind that we couldn't afford him if AW really wanted him.

Just my opinion, But Denilson was never good. I think more modern stats like how frequently passes bypass defenders and such would have easily born this out. Denilson was a tiquitaqa player and for me represented everything wrong with Arsenal back then.

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Along would not of been used properly then. We had Fcuking cesc and denies on as our 2 cms. He would've been hung out to dry with his lack of pace

Could've been a nice 4 2 3 1 though

5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The important point is we now know Wenger did try to sign Alonso for what obviously would have been a high fee in the Arsenal context.

“Rafa came to me and was very clear. He said, ‘Xabi, we need the money to sign other players that I want’. In order to make that money, my name was the first on the list to be sold. I said, ‘OK, Rafa, no problem. I am a professional. I understand that’. There was interest from Juventus. There was interest from Arsenal. But the clubs could not agree terms. I was ready to leave, because the manager wanted me to leave. It did not happen, though....”

Though Alonso remained, the reality is, had Arsenal or Juventus matched Liverpool’s £18m asking price, he would have departed sooner than he did.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-there-is-to-win-with-bayern-munich-liverpool
    So we can see that Wenger wanted Alonso but was trying to get him at a reduced price - which fits with what we know about how Wenger operates.

What I criticise him for is that 18m for Alonso was already a heavily reduced price. He's one of the top Spanish midfielders of his generation, who then moved to Real for a more realistic fee.

So I don't believe Arsenal could not afford him, nor do I believe Wenger preferred Denilson/Diaby/Song

It came down to Wenger haggling over price

daedalus, DaPrince84, Fifty and 3 others repped this.
  6. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Can't Rep this enough.
    I agree about Denilson. He was never that good, not sure why Mebesajid says he was the EPL's best midfielder at 22. lool nah Fam

BigEffingGooner repped this.
  7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Statistically denies on was excellent but he was slow and not a great tackler. He would've been great if he had a holding player next to him imo not cesc

8. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In that case, why not just keep Cesc and drop Denilson for a DM?

9. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That highlighted comment is a total denial of reality.....It has been a known fact that during and after a few years after the stadium construction that the club was in a very tight financial situation and was basically cash strapped.

10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How did we spend 40m that year? The only players of note we bought that summer were Nasri, Ramsey, and Silvestre. This idea (in hindsight) that the money was there and maybe we could have spent money on Alonso isn't borne out by any evidence.

Dude, I normally respect what you say, but WTF? Arsenal's average and net transfer spend from 2006 to 2013 was negative. From 2013 on, Arsenal have spent in excess of 200 million quid. This rather supports the idea that some rather onerous financial limitations were in place.

The idea that Arsenal couldn't have made a club record signing in 2008 because of financial limitations is perfectly consistent with this.

Perhaps, but he led the league in interceptions in a team that dominated possession. That's rather hard to do. The back injury really caused him to lose a lot of his lateral quickness, and he never recovered from that.

daedalus and DaPrince84 repped this.
  11. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    This is still hindsight. Club record transfer fees are always spent on offensive players. The year before, Arsenal sold Henry for somewhere between 16m and 18m £. Does it make any sense that they are then going to turn around and spend 18m £ on a deep lying midfielder. You are evaluating this in the context of today's inflated transfer fees.

Shen-O and charlie15 repped this.
  12. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think denilson was league 's best midfielder in 08/09?
    Wow
    That is silly

BigEffingGooner repped this.
  13. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I also explained why. That Denilson was really, really good for 18 months (before his back injury against Everton) is something that we've discussed at length on this forum.

14. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    08/09 we bought Ramsey, nasri and arshavin total ~40m euros. We also had 100m pounds in cash reserves at the end of that season. So if the question is "could arsenal have paid 18m pounds for Alonso in the summer of 08 either in place of or in addition to nasri, arshavin or Ramsey?" Then my answer is yes. I believe they could. This Alonso we are talking about, not messi or Ronaldo. We could have paid his wages and fee. Like I said before, maybe we don't do all the deals we did that year or maybe we have to move someone else on (Denison or diaby come to mind), but it could have been done without stretching too much.

As to Denilson, well Coq led the league in interceptions per game in 14/15.

15. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Enlighten me. How is this a fact? I never said we could spend like drunken sailors. But cash strapped we were not.

PHW in 2008

Is it consistent with all the facts? Like quotes from the board and Wenger, bank statements and the fact the club was active in the market and were at least in negotiations for Alonso?

For me, the most consistent explanation is that the 18m wanted by pool was higher than AW's valuation of the player. Just like almost every missed xfer we know about. It's not about available resources it's about AW deciding where and when to deploy them. In this case, he made a mistake--but hindsight and all. But to use the financial excuse for every AW xfer shortcoming is old, played, and not supported by facts.

total_football and Dooglas repped this.
  16. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Just to touch back on JW and the hype that surrounded him after that home tie against Barca, the one thing that has stuck in my head ever since was a quote from Pep after. He was asked by an English journo what he made of Wilshere and Pep (I'm paraphrasing now) just said "yea he is good but we have 10 guys like that in La Masia"

daedalus, BigEffingGooner and charlie15 repped this.
  17. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Serengeti_Boy, charlie15 and crazy150 repped this.
  18. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wouldn't say premiership's best, but Denilson was excellent that 2008/09 season. You know who wasn't? Cesc Fabregas, but fans shitted on Denilson because Cesc couldn't be bothered to do any defensive work.

I think he and Diaby coulda been a great pairing had the two not gotten injured. Diaby was a better version of Pogba.

Also, the Xabi Alonso of the summer of 2008 was not seen as one of the best Spanish midfielders of all time. He had a bad 15 months with Liverpool. I think Wenger should have made the move BUT there is some hindsight going on in this thread.

19. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serengeti_Boy and LAgooner05 repped this.
  20. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Come on mate, we are not going to litigate that again....This is almost flat-earth territory now. You are better than that.
    PHW was totally talking nonsense then, and, iirc, either him or an other board member basically admitted a couple of years ago, that they were just pumping this hot air to calm the fans anxiety at the time.

21. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    don't really see the logic of the protestations

at the time Arsenal could afford 18m

the price was cut price as Liverpool were in financial trouble so had to sell alonso to buy.

alonso was elite. which is why Wenger wanted him.

so thanks to arguing over a few million arsenal did not sign him.

daedalus, total_football and crazy150 repped this.
  22. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    The finances are there in black and white, it's not flat earth. While the new tv and commercial deals have shepherded in an era where top players could be purchased without shipping out players and top contracts could be awarded, that's not what we are talking about with Alonso.

We were in for him, the player said as much. Pool wanted to sell but needed a certain figure. We are talking about a difference of likely no more than 5m and most rumors had it much much less than that. So you are saying that arsenal couldn't find a few million but were able to find 15m and that was it? This "cash-strapped" arsenal narrative simply doesn't work here. We also found 12m for arshavin a few months later how?

Pre kroenke it was "we don't have money" bc the stadium development then after that was settled, it was " we don't have money to spend bc kroenke wants a cash horde for his other businesses. Last summer it was bc no players were available. Every possible culprit except for the one constant--AW himself.

The fact that people don't spend does not mean they are broke. We all know AW is strict with his valuations. This applies to wages as well as xfers fees. We also know he has immense belief in the signings he does make. So when searching for a reason we did not sign Alonso, I'll go with the pool wanted a price that was above AW's valuation. he had a stable of young midfielders "coming up" And he decided to ride that horse and save his money for a future purchase.

total_football repped this.
  23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Wenger's real issue is that since RvP, Fab, Flam, Ade, Hleb - he has not really had a prospect pay off in spades

All those guys were at the club before 2007

Who has been epic since?

Ramsey once had a good season

Nasri - half a good season

slim pickings

bandwagongooner and Fifty repped this.
  24. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    The 40 million euros spent (~31.5m £) was the summer of 09 when Alonso went to Madrid for 30m £. The summer of 08 when Alonso was reportedly available for 18m £, after an injury riddled season, Arsenal spent 31 million euros (~24.5m £) on Eduardo, Sagna, Fabianski, and Diarra. Eduardo filled a need and looked like a brilliant signing before his injury. Sagna was a brilliant signing. The other two didn't cost enough to offset much of the 18m £ fee for Alonso. Between 07 and 09 Arsenal were funding transfers with sales, they spent approximately 86 million euros on transfers in and received approximately 95 million for transfers out. So to buy Alonso in the summer of 08 they would have to have sold additional players.

charlie15 and Shen-O repped this.
  25. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    No. Those were not 2008 signings. These were:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/nasri-agrees-to-join-arsenal-from-marseille

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/ramsey-completes-move-from-cardiff-city

Also, you all are confusing correlation with causality. We sold players because all those players wanted to leave--either for glory hunting or a huge payday or were not needed. We then bought players to replace them--usually cheaper bc AW is AW.

I suppose you drive by a few houses on fire, see fire trucks in the driveway and assume the fire department is setting houses on fire.

No. We could not spend with Chelsea, United, and the Spanish giants but we were not poor and did not need to sell players to run the club. Again we also had ~100m in the bank at the end of that season iirc.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.