El indecido me molesta, si no me quiero, Transfer Thead 2016

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by total_football, May 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    To be fair, Arsenal can't get involved in many of the dodgy grey market deals.

Atletico was a heavy user of TPO so I cannot see Arsenal buying anyone from there.

2. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mendes influence as well there..... He is toxic for Arsenal.

DutchCane repped this.
  3. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one is asking to spend 60-100m on each position. Some of us want to spend 60-100 on one position. Arsenal aren't able to spend like you say there, but wait till we do it once before we worry about doing it consistently. We've spent over 30m on only 3 players ever.

daedalus, AEAAFC96, DutchCane and 2 others repped this.
  4. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    The thing that gets overlooked is that we have to maintain our current players as well. Ozil was no doubt sold on coming by being told that we were building something great with our new finances and he was the first brick. Then came the FA cup and next Sanchez followed by another FA cup. Then last summer when we did nothing followed by one of the more disappointing seasons I can remember. Two summers in a row without a marquee signing is not going to help up keep ozil and if he leaves how will we replace him. Ditto for koscieleny, bellarin, Alexis.

By spending big on one player, it sends the right message to everyone: "it's sport. Shit happens. But we are going to do what we can to win."

Again the financials aren't as direct as people thing. So if Griezman cost 100m euros and he scores 15-20 goals, sets up more and the squad overall plays better then he'd be worth it. If he didn't adapt or just didn't kick on then he likely could be sold still for at least half. So you are really risking 50m let's say. That doesn't include the bump in fan/sponsor activity a record signing will have. Even at 100m the risk/reward doesn't seem too bad to me.

DutchCane repped this.
  5. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think Cech paid for the Holding transfer fee out of his own pocket. Just saying.

6. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This potential signing is getting more arsene-ish as I read!

"Holding is capable of playing center half or fullback" In real terms, he's paying £1M for each position!

Arsene at a Marrakesh bazaar would start another Arab Spring!

daedalus, DutchCane and cantona94 repped this.
  7. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Well Arsenal have just signed Holding, now they supposedly close to signing Ademola Lookman.

8. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Look man, I don't even know who that is.

LAgooner05, daedalus, DaPrince84 and 6 others repped this.
  9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Prospect at Charlton, from a minute at googling. Rated anywhere between 5 and 10 million. Striker. Short.

10. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    755395678013157376 is not a valid tweet id

755396458124308481 is not a valid tweet id

I look forward to a 28/0 tweet.

DaPrince84 and DutchCane repped this.
  11. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Finally we can move on to the next target

12. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Correct me if my thinking is wrong, but wouldn't the financial benefit of winning the league offset any £20M "overpayment" you'd make on a transfer? Like if he was only willing to pay 50M for, say, Higuain but Napoli want 70M. IF you win the league, you'd recoup that many times over.

13. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The transfer market is just a beating year in and year out with Wenger at the helm.

Fifty repped this.
  14. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    god damn this window!

GunneRy repped this.
  15. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can we just have a draft?

gunner0007 repped this.
  16. lynesjc

lynesjc Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jun 21, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I dreamed last night that Arsene Wenger and Wanda Nara were dancing the tango together while negotiating Icardi's transfer...

casoccerdad47 repped this.
  17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

In what way would you recoup the money many times over?

Chelsea won the league and their financials are just as bobbins as Arsenal.

DutchCane repped this.
  18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't recoup it from prize money. Recoupment happens through commercial revenue, and that takes a LONG time - winning a lot over multiple seasons. I think being in the last four of the champions league is probably more valuable in terms of commercial revenue than winning the league, but that's a lot of guesswork on my part, so I could be wrong.

DutchCane repped this.
  19. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea will not only have to overpay Napoli, they'll have to overpay KK b/c no CL.

20. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    50M is already a lot of money. How good does a player have to be to be worth 50M? I can't answer that because I don't know how wins and performance actually affect the club's revenue, but it would seem to me that someone would have to be phenomenal to justify that level of investment. And that's just 50M.

A certain segment of our fans just wants us to throw money around and sign players, but I think you have to step back and realize AW's dilemma. We already have a striker who, while not ideal, is still pretty good. So when you talk about spending insane money on a marginal player like Lukaku or Morata, you have to think about how much "value over replacement" you'd really be getting compared with Giroud. If those guys are only slightly better, you just spent a record fee on a modest upgrade that wasn't worth it at all. Even if you recoup 15M by selling Giroud, you probably still dropped 20-30M (near our record fee) for a razor thin upgrade (and that's assuming that it's actually an upgrade).

I think when you look at it this way, it really makes Wenger's transfer philosophy more sympathetic. I think he really does want to improve the squad, but when you already have a team of 80-83 overall players (in FIFA terms), only a special talent like Ozil or Sanchez can provide a clear upgrade over what you have. Players of that caliber are rare and their teams usually aren't inclined to sell them. I think Wenger has tried for some of these players. We succeeded with Ozil and Sanchez. We failed with Suarez, but obviously tried. It seems like we tried with Hazard, though I don't know for sure.

On the other hand, a lot of people criticize him for not building enough depth in the squad, and that has obviously been an issue. I think we needed another DM last season. I think we need at least one more striker right now. I think part of our problem there is that we have been horrendous with injuries. It feels like we have a higher injury rate than other clubs, which could be down to luck, something in our training/usage of players, or both. Every year we have guys like Wilshere, Rosicky, and Welbeck who are expected to contribute, but end up being crocked for much of the season. That has been a big issue and is something we need to prepare for.

elessar78 and charlie15 repped this.
  21. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Summer heat really affecting people

22. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    I think it's much simpler than this- fans are incredibly frustrated that Arsenal have been so close to winning the league and really contending in Europe but have been unwilling to spend the extra 20-40m (which they absolutely have to spend) to get the final pieces.

What really makes me angry is that I think Wenger has an incredible eye for talent and is a very good coach but is unwilling to admit that maybe, just maybe spending a little more (without going the Chelsea/City route of spending) might really put this team in the upper echelon.

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think this is no longer the case - it might have been true before 2013 that the club wasn't willing to pay for top talent, but now it's more a case of the club being picky about the kinds of players it wants.

24. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree with this, with the caveat that you also need depth. Paying 40 million to get Giroud level production makes sense if the player is young enough, because that provides both continuity (Giroud is 29) and protection if Giroud gets hurt.

We did try for Hazard. But didn't have the money to match what Chelsea/United/Citeh were offering.

Need another striker and a wing attacker. I think Walcott would be a very nice change of pace at forward, but we do need one more elite attacker. I'd be happy with a summer of Xhaka/Draxler.

25. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've been sympathetic to wenger for a long time. And razor thin upgrade is very apt. Raps once Giroud is a hair from being a 25 goal striker.

We need that upgrade and depth just as much with welbz out for so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk