EL: Braga vs Roma (February 18th, 2021)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Andreas, Feb 14, 2021.

1. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    Impressive. Makes you wonder why they have had 5 coaches in less than 2 years.

2. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Portugal is like the Scottish league.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #53 falvo, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Only with a lot of Brazilian players.....

[​IMG]

4. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rewatching both those goals
    Nope haven't changed my mind at all. In fact it's spot on with what I said in the past. My statement was that I expect our CB problem to be solved with experience. Meaning, we have a CB problem now, they are garbage. Ibanez is out of position half the time and pays for it against the better teams.

Mancini has improved a lot but still commits too many fouls and picks up yellows. That said he's cut down a lot on his mistakes and positioning.

Yes, currently our defense is terrible (35 goals conceded). They do have the potential to become really good though.

5. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree completely with all of this especially the bold. That's why I'm optimistic about the future because the problems, IMO, are just errors mostly based on youth and inexperience. I think with more experience they'll just get better and better.

Like you I think Mayoral is at the very least a reliable roster player and have no problems keeping him.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Braga-Roma, le pagelle di CM: Dzeko torna a far male. Mancini baluardo ...

7. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    shiboboo and Oban14 repped this.
  8. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain

1362759213571792896 is not a valid tweet id

9. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of his production came in a handful of games against the worst teams. Against mid-table and up he has been nonexistent.

He's still young, especially for a ST, and could easily improve but right now he's not nearly good enough to be the staring ST on a CL team in a top 5 league.

10. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Against top 10 teams Borja started 2 games, he blanked against Juve and scored and assisted against Verona.

Dzeko started 7 games against top 10 teams and scored 2 goals with 0 assists.

Borja is doing this in his first season with Roma at the age of 23, I don’t have to remind you what Dzeko did in his first season at Roma at the age of 28.

Also, it’s not like Borja is another Destro, his general play is great for a player his age. There is no reason why Roma shouldn’t bet on him.

Moebek, r0adrunner, DOctore13 and 4 others repped this.
  11. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His movement in and around the box is excellent. It’s the one thing we’ve lacked from our strikers for a very long time.

12. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't a Dzeko thing, I never suggested Dzeko as the answer. It's not just against top teams. Look at Udinese who has better than average defense he was a non factor.

I'm just saying Borja hasn't shown consistent enough play that Roma should roll the dice on him. Roma do that all the time, putting all their eggs in one basket. If Roma bring in another ST our odds are better one of them works out. If both do, great! We then sell one and build the rest of the squad.