Ekelunds Goal 09/07/02

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Northern Boy, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Northern Boy

Northern Boy New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    I expected this board to be awash with praise for Ekelunds goal against The Crew!

It was easily one of the best free kicks I have ever seen, if it had been Rivaldo we would be hearing about it for years.

For those unfortunate enough to have missed it, it was ~25 yards out, and indirect, so Mulrooney simply put his foot under the ball and lifted ~5 ft into the air, and stepped back to let Ekelund hit it on the volley, at approx 950mph, into the top left hand corner.

Unstoppable, no keeper would have got to it.

2. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Keep it in the PGT buddy..

3. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Where can I see the "GOAL" ?

4. Gandalf21

Gandalf21 Member

May 22, 2001
    Livermore, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a remarkable goal!!! A laser into the left (far post) upper 90. Unbelievable.

Has to be a nominee for goal of the year.

5. bpc

bpc Member+

Jul 21, 1999
    Silicon Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As far as I know you can't. Yallop (or maybe it was the Quakes media director) said that the match wasn't even taped for Columbus. So there were no highlights to send to the media.

Now that I say this though I remember seeing cameras in the upper deck. The cameraman were using them but I don't recall seeing the red light on. Training perhaps?

6. carlov

carlov New Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose California
    Today (Monday) on Telemundo 48, at 6pm and 11pm!

7. Big Mama Zella

Big Mama Zella New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Vacaville
    Thank you, Carlov.

8. Gandalf21

Gandalf21 Member

May 22, 2001
    Livermore, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone was seeing the game or it was at least being taped. The camera behind the north goal was on quite a bit and I noticed the one in the upper deck with it's red light on as well.

Thanks Carlov, will check out Telemundo tonight.

9. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His goal celebration was pretty cool too...

10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Every MLS game is taped - the tapes go to the league, each team, and the referee. In addition, there are two assessors for each game. The one who attends the game confers with the 'real' assessor who assesses the referee's performance based only on the tape! It's a retarded way to do it, but that's the way it is.

11. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    PS - I agree it was a very pretty goal!!!!

12. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    MVP
    MVP
    MVP
    MVP
    MVP
    MVP
    MVP
    MVP
    MVP
    MVP
    MVP
    MVP
    MVP
    MVP
    MVP
    MVP
    MVP
    MVP
    MVP
    MVP

13. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the MLS will include this goal in some sort of highlight reel or something... I need to see it again... and again... and again... and again... and again.

-KMJvet

14. Quake Crazy

Quake Crazy Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ceres Califonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be a goal of the year nominee for sure!

15. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hell! While we're at it, I thought that Robinson's goal was pretty special, too. He hit it on the run, and it was a beautiful, low swerving shot just inside the near post. That shot was unlike anything you expect from the foot of a defender!

16. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I am no longer in NoCal , will Telemundo still show it ? Probably not .For giggles, check out 13 highlights onMLSNet , a penalty kick and a tap in are " in there " . I've got to find this goal .May be the most exalted and devoted Ekelund Fanatic - Spejic , can help , I am sure he personally tapes his every move ( on the field that is ).

17. Gandalf21

Gandalf21 Member

May 22, 2001
    Livermore, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carlov, I know you meant well, but I taped the news from 6 - 7 last night (Monday) and no highlights. The sports did give the score, but that was it.

Thanks anyway.

18. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Well, the game was being filmed for some reason (there was a camera in its usual midfield place in front of 111). Perhaps the Quakes were just filming it for the sake of game film...whatever...at least it's on film and if there is a highlight video, the clip should make it. Hopefully.

19. carlov

carlov New Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose California
    Grandalf21, you are right they didn't showed last night, I just send an email to Flor de Maria because she told me it will be on "Monday", sorry I was waiting last night also for the goals. I have to check the news on Telemundo tonight and see.

20. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last time there was a Quakes game with no TV and the Quakes scored goals (4-0 over Dallas earlier this year), some of the goals were shown during the pregame on the next Quakes TV broadcast. I'm hoping that will be the case this time as well.

I did see the overtime goal on one of the local news broadcasts on Saturday night after the game, but I forget which station.

21. blacktide

blacktide Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Surprisingly, the station that showed the overtime goal was Channel 4....maybe not having a network affiliation let's them get more "local".

Overall, I thought it was a very poor weekend for our local TV "sports" reports.

22. Gandalf21

Gandalf21 Member

May 22, 2001
    Livermore, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too much College football, US basketball fiasco, baseball. None of the stations could fit in something so "insignificant" as a soccer game. I watched 3 (SJ channel 11), 5 and 7 on Sat night when I got home - nothing. Should have watched channel 4.