EJ running mate candidates

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Chamo, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    Ortega on blue-light special?

Chamo, quit getting everyone aroused.

Everyone here would be slobbering if we could land Ortega.

Which is precisely why it won't happen.

Wanchope is more affordable than Ortega. Unless Ortega can
    come on a free, and if so, he would be worth using 2 allocations,
    one for him, and one to buy additional cap.

The problem is the same as always, regardless of any additional
    cap or undertable mystery accounting....

HSG WILL NEVER ACTUALLY PAY ANYONE twice or three times
    the "official" league max salary.

Would Ortega play in a new stadium for $500k/year for 2 years?
    Maybe.

Would HSG actually "pay" $1MM for one player's salary over 2 years?

__________________.

-bs

2. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    guerrero guerrero guerrero
    guerrero
    guerrero

-bs

3. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Moi?

I just want awaken HSG as to what it is going to take to get the fans aroused.

4. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    ... and Brushes and I do the same... and here I am eating a pretzel... where's the logic in that?

:)

5. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any Allocation will almost certainly have to be on a Free.

but dang I like Ortega.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is Dallas's place in the Allocation Picking order?
    I know RSL and Chivas are #1 and #2 respectively.

7. JimmieLivealot

JimmieLivealot New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    3rd, could you please explain this. I thought the whole point of an allocation was that it allows you to pay a transfer fee for someone. Why couldn't Dallas just sign Forward X as a discovery like Simo if we didn't need to pay a buyout.

8. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Allocations can also be used to defray a portion of a player's salary from the cap. In the case of a player making more then the team can afford, but who is available without a transfer fee, this is a useful option.

9. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. RSL
    (I think by Chivas getting 1st expansion draft pick RSL gets first allocation and SUperdraft, but I am not positive about that.)
    2. Chivas
    3. Chicago YS
    4. Dallas YS

5...6...7..?? any other allocations that are earned this season for a sale or retirement. This could be 0, 5, 10 who knows how many.

8?. Then it should be the highest ranking left from last year. Which I believe is the Dallas from the Adu trade. But it could be way past 6.

Keep in mind this only really matter when MLS signes an American coming back, or signs a allocation of a player without a specific team asking. Then says "Who wants him". I can't tell you if this has ever happened with a foriegn play.

10. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    You should just make this your sig line, Buzz.

11. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all right here is how I understand it to work. Remember this is MLS and it can be totally wrong, or have changed without us knowing.

As Tex said, Allocations have a certain value. We hear, but can't document, that the Adu allocation may be between 300K to 400K. Hence the name "Major Allocation." As Tex also said if you don't use any of that fee to pay on a transfer you can put it toward reducing the cap number of the player. Which is nice.

If you want a real big-time stud who's contract may be greater than the 250K limit then you need to use the allocation number to knock down his contract. This is how you pay a guy $500,000 and have him fit under the cap. But in order to do that you can't have used the allocation $ on a signing fee.

You could sign someone (like Simo) if he was under the 250K limit. For example the list of 7 names Colin had, only some of those are allocation level. Some can be discovery because they might be free and might need less than max to sign them.

So the real answer is, yes you can sign a guy just like they did Simo, but it will depend on how big a talent you want and where he is from.

But even more than just fitting under the cap.... 300K or 400K will not really get you much. If you are buying from central America (or certain South American countries) then it can get you a good bit. If you are buying from Europe or Big South American countries then that number won't get you much. DeMarcus Bealsy just sold for what 1.2 mil? or something like that? great player right. What do we think Eddie is worth $2mil? So compare that to 300K or 400K. What are you gonna get for that?

So your best bet for a top level talent is get one out of contract. Find a guy looking to move, who wants out of where he is, or a guy who is told he is out of the picture as the team is going young and he can go where he wants. Then all the money can go to his salary and you get more talent for you allocation dollar.

In the past guys were bought like Luis Hernandez, who's purchase was $2 mil. Graziani was also a big purchase price... IIRC. So why does that not happen anymore? I have no idea. MLS cleaning up the shenanagins maybe? I appears you are just not going to see the million dollar MLS signing anymore.

Deos that clear it up? Or make it wrose.

12. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no sig line I refuse to pay money for a message board.

13. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

yea that was my mentality too until I kept getting those damn busy messages, then I thought it'd be a better use for $15 or however much it cost.

14. br13

br13 New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Galaxy Ready to Fill Gaps

I'm sure that CC has some scouting trips planned for the winter - but I just thought it was interesting that Sampson was already getting after it. I know that there is not a great deal of ... 'confidence' ... in Sampson in some quarters, but I (maybe naively) would assume he has multiple contacts in CONCACAF, and the Galaxy have their relationship in Brazil.

On that topic - does anyone know of FCD trying to develop any relationships with club teams south of the border, either in Mexico, Central America or South America? I'm not sure how much tangible benefit the Fire have had out of their connection with Morelia, but Galaxy and Metros seem to have benefited from their relationships in Brazil and Argentina, respectfully. Obviously, Chivas will have a connection. I think that it could be really positive for FCD to forge a similar bonds. Potentially in less obvious areas, where the other club would see a lot of benefit as well. Somewhere like Saprissa, Newell's, Independiente - big clubs with maybe a little less name recognition here in the States. Those clubs would get a US marketing connection and friendlies here to make money, and we'd get the potential of young loan players, etc. Something like this would be especially beneficial at times now, and in the future, when FCD has American or European managers who are less familar with the central and south American talent.

15. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clarke is going to Argentina next week (or the week after).

Yes they are, but I can't tell you who. and Don't bother to ask as I don't have it on the record.

16. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Very valid points BR13. In the past Dallas had connections to South America which it no longer has. Dir was particularly fond of the Argentinian league and made sure he always had someone (Cordoba, Pisano) on staff that had contacts in Argentina and consequently during the Dir years Dallas always had an Argentinian player. The current staff does not have anybody with pre-established relationships in South America. Oscar Pareja (who may become management staff next year) is the sole source of such contacts these days.

Andy Swift was close to setting up an Chicago-Morelia like arrangement with a Brazilian club when his world was turned upside down with the Southlake fiasco.

By the way, Sapprissa is owned by Jorge Vergara, yes, Vergara the owner of Chivas. So my guess is that in the future every Sapprissa player making the jump to MLS will play for Chivas USA.

17. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't belive that is completely accurate in the sense of the current staff. Just because they are not hispanic does not mean they don't have connections down there.

Certainly Oscar has some contacts, but Haynes, Clarke, and Trask all do as well.

18. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    I didn't say they didn't have connections. I said they didn't have pre-established connections such as those that Cordoba and Pisano had. The people on staff before were products of the system and therefore had broader and deeper connections than any outsider could possibly develop in a couple of years.

Think of it in the context of it beign no different than Arena having better connections to Virginia or Sigi Schmidt and his UCLA connections.

19. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    While it's no longer possible to get a CA or SA coach with established connections; can we start on the opposite end and pick up a key player.. like a Nunez from Honduras (or someone else)?.. and then, if CC can't build upon the wonderful Honduran fan-base; we can bring in ... maybe a Honduran coach - and diversify from there... ?

Remember you, myself and Jonno running through the all-Honduran crowd with Burn signs?.. the friendly antagonizing?.. GREAT fans, the Hondurans. Great place to re-start our diversified unity that existed pre-HSG.

20. br13

br13 New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    [hitting self on forehead]Oh yeah.[/hitting] Thanks for the correction - but those are the "types" of clubs that I'm suggesting. Big clubs with lesser name recognition in the US.

Hopefully their current work will prove fruitful.

21. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Which one Chamo?

22. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I want to say it was San Paulo

23. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    Ditto.

Paying for the privelege of creating content?

Antithetical and heretical.

-bs

24. mudpoet

mudpoet Member

May 16, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Close...Paying so they can afford the bills, keeping the site up which gives you somewhere TO create content.

25. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get more return on that $15 buck investment than any other spend I can think of. But 3rd brings value to board so stay free!
    Now if I could only figure out what a Rigid Panda Abortion etc is!