EJ running mate candidates

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Chamo, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Candidate number one has just had a run just like EJ's with 5 goals in 3 qualifier matches. The difference being that the opponents were Brazil, Ecuador and Argentina. He scored 2, 2, and 1 respectively. Who is this guy? Venezuela's latest sensation (usually a phrase reserved for Baseball players or Miss Universe candidates), Ruberth Morán.

[​IMG]

The guy plays for Bucaramanga (Colombia) which means he should be afffordable to MLS, and given his age (31) he should not be getting many big money offers from Europe.

More info about Morán can be found here.
    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/041019/1/2g4q.html

2. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Can ya'll simply cut Nhelko to sign him? I'm not sure how his contract works.

Also I see Jamie Watson as your draft pick. He's got a good chance to start.

3. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The man whose name is true to his roots. Ruberth!

4. Wheezer10

Wheezer10 New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Kennedale, TX
    Not interested. we traded away a 30+ forward away.

5. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Not one that scored 5 WCQ goals in the last two months.

By the way, feel free to post any other potential candidates. I was going to suggest Farfan, but PSV beat MLS to the punch.

6. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    ...in arguably the toughest confederation in the world.

7. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What St. Kitts, Grenada, St Vincent and The Grenadines don't do it for ya!

8. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCD can cut Nhleko, and they may.

But right now they can add a SI without doing so as the SI slots went to 4.

Doubtful he would start... nor would any draft pick at foward.
    EJ is going no where and the primary allocaiton target is at forward.

I still think FCD taked a forward in the top round.

9. Wheezer10

Wheezer10 New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Kennedale, TX
    We already have one that has scored 5 in the last 3 games. Watching the South american games I have I wonder if those goals were PK's or not.

I have posted other ideas. Mathis (although the rumor is RSL), Conor Casey excite me more as a running mate with EJ than a small south american.

A small south american forward doesn't excite me at all. If we are going to use a SI, I would rather see a south american central midfielder that complements Simo then a forward flopping in the box.

We need someone to put butts in seats. I just don't see him helping the issue. ( I know everyone will argue the point if he helps them win and winning helps put butts in seats) Just doesn't excite me at all. Seems more like a stop gap and possible Sergio Galven Rey. Which is going in the wrong direction.

10. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    How the hell does Conor Casey put butts in the seats? Come watch our oversized, useless, no-touch forward flub perfectly weighted passes in the box!! Don't miss our incredible "national teamer" that hasn't been selected since the qualifiers started because Bruce knows he isn't worth crap. Casey is a waste, and I don't want FCD to be the club that has to find that out. Mathis is a nice idea, but I got the feeling he will get an offer from another Bundesligia club. But at least he is a name that some people recognize. But.....from what I gathered at the Town Hall, this organization is putting a premium on hispanic players (for good or for bad). So I see some/all of our acquisitions addressing this 'need'.

11. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Casey? Negative.

Mathis would be sweet, if he could get his 2000/2001 form back, hopefully GE is pulling every string to at least try and get him. Wonder if he'd pull out an "I love Dallas" shirt when he scored :rolleyes:

12. Wheezer10

Wheezer10 New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Kennedale, TX
    I am trying to think of someone that would complement EJ. A small hispanic forward doesn't cut it to run along side EJ. I think Conor is a bruiser and the MLS has become more of a bruiser than a finesse league. I think you are being overly harsh on Conor Casey. At least he can find the starting 11 and Mathis can't even find the field with Hannover what makes you think he will sign with another Bundesliga club.

I think the hispanic population is now done with FC Dallas. In 8 years they haven't shown up but a few proud souls. (I don't care what the reason is if it is marketing or what it shouldn't make a difference, if you went to the US v Mexico they don't care about FC Dallas or the Burn).

Getting more hispanic players isn't going to put butts in seats especially in Frisco. If they are going to market to the hispanic population with a stadium in Frisco that is almost an oxymoron. Enough about that this is the EJ running mate thread.

We need a down and dirty guy to do some hard work with EJ. I know this might be a stereotype and there are exceptions to this rule but a hispanic forward isn't going to have a high work rate and take some lumps. Besides that I would love to see a hispanic central midfielder a younger Pareja. (Where is Nunez?)

13. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    I don't know that the PK rates are any higher in South America than any other place in the world which you seem to be insinuating, but all five goals Moran scored were during the run of play.

Mathis would be great. Casey would be a waste.

Nothing like a stereotype to cloud the issue of a thorough player search, eh?

The only names that truly would putt butts in seats are out of HSG's price range. So, they are going to have to look at the Moran's of the world if they are going to find value for their money.

14. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am with Wheezer on this one.

Conor Casey is a stud. Big, strong, and takes up yards of space. He attracts defenders, imposes a toll on markers, and wears them out. His movement pulls defenders and creates holes. Size and strength like Toni but with more skill, touch, and shooting ability.

IMHO Casey is the perfect player for Eddie to play next to. Watch how Arena used Eddie in this last start with McBride. Casey is McBride's replacement. I think we see the best of Eddie when he has a big target to play off of. And Casey is a BIG target who I think would tear up MLS.

Any one good enough for the Bundisliga is a prize to be had.
    I would take him way before I would take Mathis
    (not that I would pass on Mathins either, but he is going to RSL if anywhere).

But I don't think there is much of a chance Casey will come to MLS.

15. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Here is another one... Federico Inzua of Independiente (Argentina)... 24 years old.

The dude is listed as an offensive mid, but when you watch him play he plays as a forward with good vision and a good nose for goal. Dangerous enough going to goal that EJ would get plenty of chances as defenses would have to respect Inzua's offensive qualities.

http://www.independiente.com/Pages/plantel/fichas/volantes/insua.asp

16. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That one looks better to me.
    24 much better than 31.

if he out of contract? Had to think they could afford to buy a polayer from Arg if not.

17. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Re: EJ running mate candidates - Not Casey

Granted I have only seen Casey play about 12 times. From what I have observed TexGator's description is much closer to reality than 3rdDegree's. Casey has been very consistent with his displays of "No touch", "no feel for the game as far placing himself in spots to create scoring chances", and absolutely has "no nose for goal".

If size were everything, Shawn Bradley would be the greatest basketball player that ever lived.

18. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Not sure. This past summer Independiente outbid Atlas of Mexico for his services as he was returning from Spain. Not sure it was all about $. Inzua had a history with Independiente when he was one of the vital cogs of the squad that won the Argentinian league a couple of years back.

Inzua played for Argentinian Nats team that beat the USA in So Fla a couple of years back. Not sure if he has had many callups since.

19. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I assume you are evaluating him based on the limited times you see him play for the Nats. If he had "no touch, no feel, and no nose" would he be playing for the Nats? Would he have signed out of college and gone to the Bundisliga?

Even then it goes to show what different people see. I saw a young player with great tools trying to find the game at the National team level. I saw a 23 (ish) year old player that with more refinement and work can really be a stud. I saw a guy who is just now breaking in intense pressure that is a National team game. Compare him to any other forward that is just out of college...

but we all like different player don't we.

20. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How have some of those loan deals with Argentinian clubs worked out?

Don't the MetroStars and LA have some players on loan from Boca who've played pretty well for them?

Maybe FC Dallas could do the same with Independiente or Estudiantes, etc

21. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    hey 3rd do you have any names that you can or can't tell us that FCD is looking into?

22. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know some of the names on that origional list of seven, but it was from a informal off the record talk with Clarke. All the info He gave me on the record was in that last training report.

When I get back in town I will try and follow up and see if there has been progress.

23. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano

I'm not quite sure why he was with the nats, but all I know is that I haven't seen him since the first or second game of this last round of qualifiers. But I've seen a lot of McBride. If you ask me, Ching is the McBride replacement, not Casey. His production in the Bundesligia is piss poor, I'm surprised he continues to get playing time with Mainz....although I don't think they have many options up top. Yes, he does work hard, yes, he is tough and big.....but he can't pass, he can't dribble, and shooting from range is absent. He's very one dimensional. Honestly, I don't see how Casey is an upgrade from Toni. But like you stated, we all see players differently.

24. abilenecosmos

abilenecosmos Member

Nov 2, 2004
    The Rock
    What about someone like Twellman? Granted I am sure we cant get him out of NE, but I think the way he plays would be perfect for EJ. Does anyone know of players similar to him that could be aval?

25. Argentine Gaucho 25

Nov 15, 2004
    California
    I have a couple of choices that don't even come close to the mind of HSG. Sorry for not giving a detailed description:

Carlos Cassartelli(Queretaro MEX)[ARG]
    Bruno Marioni(Tenerife SPAIN)[ARG]
    Edson Buddle
    Jeff Cunningham
    Taylor Twellman