Edu suffers broken foot [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Its only Ray Parlour, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Its only Ray Parlour

Aug 3, 2003
    London
    We're now down to one established but underperforming midfielder in Vieira, one outstanding young talent in Cesc & one unproven young player in Flamini.

Who would have thought the position where our depth was at it's strongest would become such a headache.

How long to the Chelsea game? :eek:

I think we need to wrap Cesc in cotton!

2. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Guess that means he'll sign a new contract now?

3. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004

nice nice

4. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is really bad. I guess Lauren could provide midfield cover in a pinch but with our problems at the back i dont see this as an attractive option. Anyone miss Keown and Parlour? Perhaps Bergkamp could fill in at the front of a midfield diamond, but i know that Wenger doesn't really like experimenting with formations. I saw that Larsson replaced Edu in the Everton game, but i am not familiar with him. I really think we are paying the price for the new stadium, the lack of depth forced by our reduced squad size cost us dearly two years ago and threatens to do so again this year. I also suspect this injury just cost us our chance for the Carling Cup.

5. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I would suspect that, in a pinch, SuperBob would move inside with Reyes on the wing as per usual.

Vieira better snap out of his funk, and quick.

6. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i second this statement

what about Pennant? has he ever played in the middle?

7. W26 D12 L0

W26 D12 L0 New Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Miami
    I guess we will find out what Vieria is made of - especially after he said in public that he would come back to form.

I don't think Pennant would be effective in the middle but Pires may be able to do the job. Also, I wouldn't like Bergy in th middle 'cos we need someone with a good motor running from box to box and bergy can't do this.

If we didn't need defenders so bad i would put toure in th middle of the park - in the last game he made som decent attacking runs and tries to spark the team. His desire and passion for the game (and his nonstop action) would make him perfect for this role.

8. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Le Boss knew what he was doing when he tried to sign Angulo. We would be covered if that deal had gone through.

9. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Time for Cesc and Flamini to show us what they're made of. It's unfortunate having both the Brazilian boys injured at the same time, but I hope they have trouble getting back intot he side because of the form of the two younger guys when the time comes. And yes, Vieira needs to sort his life out.

10. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this in the other thread but thought I add it here. I don't see why we can't play a 4-1-3-2 with one of PV, Cesc, or Flamini (although I'm not sure about his defensive skills yet) holding down the fort in front of the defense while Henry, RVP/DB, Reyes, Pires, and Ljung work the attack? It is not like we are losing defensive cover with the way Edu has played this season. Our team has ended up playing something like this towards the end of a couple of games anyway.

11. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a random thought, but is Petit still out of contract or has he found a team? If he were available this could be a great time to return to Highbury for his swan song.

12. JCNYC

JCNYC Member

Jan 21, 2004
    NYC
    No and no. Keown is too old and too slow and Parlour, though dedicated, did not have enough talent to fit into the present team.

Injuries are to be expected and I think we'll cope just fine with the kids.

13. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear you, especially about Keown, but they were still good squad players who added depth and grit. I hope you're right about the kids but they are awfully young and inexperienced its alot to ask of them to be regulars over a long season.

14. redondo66

redondo66 New Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Seattle

Yes! Toure would make a hell of a central midfielder, though he'd really make a hell of an anything as there isn't a position that doesn't suit him. But as you mentioned there is that nagging central defense issue.

Basically, it's Flamini's time to shine. Over the next weeks you'd think he'd get a real game or two to rest Cesc, and i'm excited to see what he has. From the few times i've seen his brief appearances, I've been impressed with his defensive workrate and positioning (what is needed from that 'Gilberto' slot). Wenger speaks highly of him and is obviously to be trusted, so I am optomistic and actually think this Edu injury could be a bonus in disguise (not a surprising comment if you've read any of my other anti-Edu rants) :eek:

Oh and yes, Pennant is a pure winger type.

15. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think his three championship medals (one of which was won last year with some team or other that were unbeaten) say different. I don't see Gilberto spraying passes around the pitch, but plenty round here think we are missing him at the moment. It's a team game that needs many components and at the moment we could do with a no nonsense midfielder to win some tackles, bring some energy to the game and give it simple. With our injuries in central midfield at the moment, I bet Wenger would love to have Parlour here.

16. redondo66

redondo66 New Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Seattle
    Gilberto is missed precisely for what you described in Parlour and what I agree we are in need of now-- "a no nonsense midfielder to win some tackles, bring some energy to the game and give it simple"...

Though his passport says otherwise Gilberto is anything but Brazilian. His pressuring and phenomenal understanding of support positioning are the qualities that make him such a vital match to our surrounding players (of whom there are many) whose games are more creative and attacking in nature... Analagous to his role on Brazil 2002 behind ronaldinho, rivaldo, ronaldo, rc, cafu, hell even kleberson.