Edu at Glasgow Rangers III: Rangers have the Mo'mentum [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by bungadiri, Oct 25, 2010.

1. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Stokedu- Maurice's adventures in the EPL.

2. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seconded.

mike4066 and quinn repped this.
  3. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    So is Stoke officially the new YA standard bearer for the EPL... now formally Fulhamerica?

4. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think someone said this before...

United Stokes of America

5. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Well at least going forward they are... unless Landon heads back to Everton.

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think we're talking have, not have had.

7. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New thread? Edu Stoked to be gone from Rangers, joins City?

10. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New thread as soon as it's completely official.

And I vote for some variant of the "Mo bids Edu to Rangers, Stoked to be a Potter" stuff that people have tossed around.

11. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BimmerBenz95, juniorLA and gmonn repped this.
  12. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Ebooooooo. Edu Stoked to join the boo boys.

13. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Since the binman joined I've never heard a Rangers fans express a liking for him. More along the lines of he is utter gash and cannot play football. Although I think he has become more liked over the years for loyalty ands sacrificing himself for the team more than his ability. When we signed him from Wigan it was not a popular signing at all.

Edu pretty much had the same journey. He became more popular and considering his limited ability he's done a good job. I do not grudge him his move at all and I hope he kicks on now.

14. dethfire

dethfire Member

Jun 24, 2005
  15. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
  16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    He was not popular, but he was, from what I read more popular than Edu for being a "bluenose" and "at least he hates celtic" etc. which is what I was talking about. I think Edu did not catch on for a number of reasons with the more "hardcore" fans - which is who usually posts those boards anyway - and one of them was McCulloch was "at least" a Ger through and through. And truth be told, over the last few years as money got tight, I've seen few signings that Gers fans have been to excited about.

But, like I said, while it is not the primary reason, it is part of the package of Mo not catching on with the fans (lack of goals is another - despite the Valencia goal and the Celtic winner) I can find you plenty of quotes praising McCulloch for being a "real" Ranger.

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So has he arrived yet? They agreed to terms and had the medical already right?

18. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Last night's game certainly should have helped Maurice's chances, that's for sure :)

19. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Very rarely have I heard the binman cheered at Ibrox. Mo had a bit of a cult following. My gut is he's just a very average footballer that's made the most of his talent. Nothing wrong with hard work. Maybe he will prove me wrong at Stoke.

Sebo had a cult following at Ibrox as well and he was worse than rubbish! :D

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Just going by the boards, McCulloch seemed more appreciated - If only in the "Christ even he'd be better" way. Edu is no Inesta, his passing and shooting lack accuracy and vision too often. But he hit just enough 22 yarders with the left at Gers to know he can do it - and he had a decent number of shots - if he can up the accuracy just a bit for both passes and shots he can be more than "very average." Never brilliant, but he could help them at Stoke for sure.

21. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I think you need to go to Ibrox or the pubs to get a true picture.

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    No doubt - but being 4k miles away makes it a bit tricky some days. And my point was not about that - it was about many US fans feeling that Edu was playing crappy at Gers. I think that came as much from reading the message boards as watching him play. Again, he had more appearances than any other Ger, fouled more - and suffered more fouls - had a decent number of shot. His goal production was low for his shots, but from watching him and the rest of the side play I didn't feel he was any worse than Boca on moments or McCulloch or a good number of other Gers - in a position where he had a lot of touches and was expected to cover a lot of grass. He shots were poor and he is better when allowed to lay back more, but I felt the last two years his actual play was better than it was reported here, and the comments about Lee were just one small part of the perception of Mo being worse than I think he was.

And, as I posted before, when you are the 1st choice or one of the two 1st choice starting CM's at Gers you tend to get an EPL sniff - which seems to be happening. Stoke is perfect for Edu in that Pulis is very defense minded and wants everything pumped to Crouch. I don't think it will be great of Edu's game, actually, but if it goes through it will be good for his pocketbook.

23. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Yeah but can he handle a beautiful summers nights game in Barcelona on a Tuesday night?

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Few can, sir, few can. He will miss Glasgow, tho - and that is without irony.

25. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It funny. A lot of them seem to. And you do see them back there a lot as well.

The one thing I do not miss is the rain.