Edmonton NASL team to begin play in 2011

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Macksam, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  2. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    The idea that they aren't going to play at Commonwealth starts them off to the good right away. Of course, the article doesn't make the ownership sound spectacular.

I wonder how having an acknowledged farm team will play in Edmonton. Edmonton is used to competing against Vancouver (CFL, NHL), not being their babysitter.

3. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Edmonton just does not seem like a soccer city to me. I remember a few years ago they had the Aviators that folded before the season even ended in the USL. If memory serves the Drillers were not that successful either?

I wish them the best of luck on this venture though.

4. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Needless to say, this is awesome news. Wonder if they'll try to bring Lars Hirschfeld back to have a local boy on the team to help promote it.

We're now halfway to my goal of 8 D1 teams in Canada. I don't think it'll be long before Ottawa joins the lsit.

5. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Absolutely.

6. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Is it really clear on that point? It sounds to me like this may be an entirely separate ownership group. The article makes four distinct points:

1. "an Edmonton team, it is expected to be announced within days, has been granted a franchise to replace the Whitecaps in the freshly-named NASL"

2. "When the Whitecaps were accepted to join Major League Soccer for the 2011 season, team president Bob Lenarduzzi said he believed the club needed to put together a pro development team and suggested Edmonton as the most obvious place to put it."

3. "Tom Fath and brother Dave head up Fath Industries, which also includes O'Hanlon Paving, and are believed to be the majority owners of the new team."

4. "Sun Media has learned the Fath Brothers, through Kowalchuk's guidance, made an offer to purchase the Whitecaps last April with the intention of bringing this version of the team, not the MLS expansion team, to Edmonton for 2011."

But it isn't really clear that there is any existing relationship or agreement between the Fath brothers and the Vancouver Whitecaps. I would guess not, the way it's written. Just asking if anyone can clarify.

7. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    While the article is ambiguous by using the term "development team" and what not, I bet the franchise will try to be competitive first and foremost. However, I think a lot of U-23 residency players will be on the squad, but it won't be the majority of the squad like first speculated.

8. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There will have to be some sort of autonomy, I'm sure that it's expected that the new club will join in on the Voyageur's Cup in which they will compete against Whitecaps.

If the two clubs are not autonomous there is a serious conflict of interest there.

9. Lord_ofthe_TFC

Lord_ofthe_TFC New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Edmonton is Not a soccer city..the Drillers old NASL folded...Brickmen..Canadian soccer league..folded...Avaitors (A League) folded...see a pattern here? Edmonton sucks as a sports town..they barely support hockey and if not for the NHL welfare payments they would have gone a long time ago..

10. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Keep in mind that Toronto went through a similar pattern with soccer teams until TFC, which in terms of support has been a grand success.

The sport is growing at a pheonmenal rate in Canada, especially in terms of participation. As well, Alberta is a place that is changing rapidly in terms of demographics (though Calgary more than Edmonton) .

Sometimes it takes several tries before success sticks. I think how they do is more dependent on how well it is run than anything.

11. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Edmonton needs a new arena so your hockey theories are incorrect. Also, I'm pretty sure the support the get in the CFL is the only thing bringing that league up.

12. Lord_ofthe_TFC

Dec 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

i dont think the hockey theories are in correct..Edmonton is in the worst shape of all Canadian teams and most likely the first to move if profits
    keep dwindling...yes the esk's support is keeping a dead or at least on life support cfl from going under.

13. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Edmonton will never move. Before, there might've been a chance but not anymore. They fill their arena to full capacity every night. They just need a new arena, which is what they are working on. Those wel-fare payments you were talking about occured well before the lock-out. This is coming from a Flames fan to btw.

14. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    You are certainly correct that how the team is run will make a staggeringly huge difference. See FC London (PDL) versus London City (CSL) for a case study.

What this (and the proposed teams in Ottawa and Hamilton if they come to pass) will also test is how far the popularity of soccer has risen in Canada. There is no doubt that it is very popular in the three biggest cities who will all land in MLS. There is no doubt that soccer is becoming more popular elsewhere. Has that growing popularity reached the point where it translates into support for professional teams in the next tier of cities though? If it has I think we'll see several more teams in the next decade. If it hasn't we may have to wait another decade before anyone tries again.

15. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    Lord_ofthe_TFC
    Toronto is not a great sports market as some seem to think.Sure the toronto fc gets great support the leafs and raps but after that there is a big drop off for the most part for support.As for edmonton can barley support hockey well that aslo can be said about toronto.

Macksam
    You can not just look at the arena beeing full each nigh as there safe for good.There are other factors some time a sold out game each night does not mean things are great and the team will never move.Only 2 teams montreal and toronto will never have a risk of moving all others will.

16. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hence why I said they need a new arena. I know they have been having problem making money. That is mostly due to needing a new arena.

17. ottawasportsfan

Mar 18, 2005
    Yes and now a team could see out every not but still be in trouble because they charge to little for tickets.

18. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sure,

That's why Darryl Katz, one of Canada's richest men, will move the Oilers away from his hometown. :rolleyes:

19. Lord_ofthe_TFC

Dec 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

hey im not saying Toronto is a great sports city either, there are a lot of empty seats at Leaf games the last few years the sellouts are long gone, you can get tickets the night off a game now..just most fans cant afford them. the interest in the Raps in slowly dwindling as they become as non competitive as their hockey cousins. Toronto never has supported AHL hockey which is too bad cause the Marlies are a better team then the Leafs on most nights. Toronto is a glory hunting city..when the Jays were winning and competitive they could get crowds of over 40,000 now if they get around 25,000 its a good gate. Some TFC fans have threatened
    to not renew seasons tickets if playoffs are not made..glory hunting at TFC is sadly growing as well. Good luck to Edmonton if they can make a team a success in the NASL and maybe down the Road in MLS just cant see it happening.

20. Fort York Redcoat

May 29, 2008
    Toronto
    Good luck to Edmonton! A town that has always supported Canadian Soccer. I look forward to their team becoming a competitor in the Voyageurs Cup!

21. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They have. They recieved a lot of flak from the poor support from the U-20s, which was somewhat un called for.

22. Lord_ofthe_TFC

Dec 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Yes the Drillers, Brickmen and Avaitors all had support!! to bad he died a few days ago!!

23. Fort York Redcoat

May 29, 2008
    Toronto
    ^He who? I was speaking of support for Canada. I'll explain what that means to you later.

24. Lord_ofthe_TFC

Dec 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

oh yes i remember those crowrd of 10-12,000 for canadian national team games..the edomonton crowd really game out!! the best attended game in Edmonton was for Brazil..and that was because of brazil..

25. Fort York Redcoat

May 29, 2008
    Toronto
    And in a smaller venue that will look great. There's no telling what it can grow into.

I think you're taking about the kids. I went to the last game in Edmonton and let me say for our fellow reds in Alberta that there were more there than at the Costa Rico friendly two years ago. I was there, too. It was less than 10,000 and the two events had the same "Surprise!!! There's a game!!!" marketing.