Eddie Johnson

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jwaksman

Jwaksman New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just close the thread.

2. hairynippleman

Jun 13, 2007
    you're not the boss...

3. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008

This is another major problem on these boards. I'm not claiming that Alex Nimo is ever going to be anything special, but he's only 19 years old. How do you know what will happen in his professional career?

I agree that fans on these boards hype these players up way too much based on potential, but that's not even the worst. The tear them up even more when the players don't meet these unrealistic expectations.

Is Alex Nimo really a bust at 19? Or Freddy Adu at 15? Then Freddy Adu again at 19? Or Eddie Johnson at 22?

There's thing called potential, but it only goes so far. The player has to actually develop his game in order to fulfill that potential. Some players do it instinctively at a very young age. Others take longer to develop, and often fall flat on their face multiple times along the way. It's a process and people on sites like big soccer need to realize that it doesn't make sense to get so excited when they flash the potential or disappoint at times early in their careers.

4. soccaisthecoolest

Jul 22, 2008
    I would not go this far at all. While I don't always agree with hairynippleman, he is not crazy to think that everything isn't always perfect with the national team.

Our country has done a poor job of developing individual players. Over the years, most US teams have made up for the lack of quality individual players with hustle and team play, but the talent level is really still not that high here. I am a huge USMNT fan and will support guys like EJ and have made excuses for him over the years, but those who have lost patience in him or others on the team are not crazy or "not true fans." They have every right to complain about the team, and just as much right to celebrate if they are proven wrong in the future. Being a fan is not the same as being a cheerleader

1 person likes this.
  5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    USA Men N&A is the strictly moderated forum. USA Men is far more free.

6. Jwaksman

Jwaksman New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Who says everything is always perfect?? Nobody wants to get rid of all posters who occasionally have a negative thought. But there is a breed of posters here - and it's not deniable - that are negative about EVERYTHING. They always want to fire the coach, no matter who the coach is. They declare every prospect a bust if they're not starting in the Premier League by age 18. They bash every starting lineup. They bash every substitution (even if it's the substitution that they themselves demanded five minutes before, they'll declare the substitution "five minutes too late"). They always think that whichever players aren't playing are way better than ones that are - for example, those who are declaring victory because they "predicted" that EJ would be a "bust" choose to forget that all of those same people were saying that EJ should be replaced by Kenny Cooper and Brian Ching.

These constantly negative people tend to be negative about everything - not only do they bash everything to do with the team, but they're jerks who bash anybody who dares ever defend anything to do with the team (just look at the trolling done by 'hairynippleman' on this thread, where he basically flipped out at me even though I wasn't calling out him in particular).

To be fair, you see people like this on any sports message board anywhere. They're the guys who scream "FIRE THE COACH!" when the team is down at halftime, and then are nowhere to be found when the team comes back and wins in the second half. But while this bizarre type of internet personality can be found everywhere, I have never ever seen them absolutely dominate and intimidate a big message board the way that they do here in the USA Men forums.

7. hairynippleman

Jun 13, 2007
    1. there is actually a breed on bigsoccer who believe everything is overly positive... jozy is going to be world class, alex nimo should get a call up, EJ is going to tear up the EPL... etc etc etc

2. I've never ever wanted Kenny Cooper in the starting lineup... that would be a mistake. He would be a slow, fat version of EJ.

3. I don't want to fire the coach. He has done nothing wrong. And he has thus far done a decent job with the talent he has on the team.

4. EJ should be replaced by Ching... if you knew anything about soccer you would agree.... and that has happened with time now.

5. you are a deusche.

8. Jwaksman

Jwaksman New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You REALLY want to get banned, don't you? This post has been reported.

9. tottenham1115

tottenham1115 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reported for what? Telling the truth?

10. soccermusician

Oct 20, 2004
    dude why is it that only in USA forums do people attack each other and neg rep each other n stuff, in other forums they only neg rep trollers n stuff

11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its a sock puppet posting as the same person, its blatantly obvious nothing more to see here. Have you noticed they are the ONLY two people who's ideas coincide with one another? have you noticed that they are the ONLY two that act like 14 year old emo boys in here?? have you noticed theyre the ONLY two that thing Brian Ching is superior to Jozy Altidore?? This dude posting as two people is worse than a mexico troll.

12. tottenham1115

tottenham1115 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really think were the same person dont you? Holy shit your being a nutjob. Have you noticed that we have posted at the exact same time before? Have you noticed that I have never said that Ching is better than Jozy? Have you noticed that your being an extremely paranoid tool?

13. hairynippleman

Jun 13, 2007
    i am reporting this post immediately. ownyewued is flaming!

14. Jwaksman

Jwaksman New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't worry about it. According to the mods, hairynippleman is basically one infraction from being banned. So I wouldn't be surprised if he started developing a sock puppet in anticipation.

15. tottenham1115

tottenham1115 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know wat? I think you and Onyewued are the same guy. Its obvious, youre both idiots, youre both tools, and you both think Jozy is amazing. Since, according to your logic, two different people cant have some of the same ideals as eachother I must assume that you are the same guy.

16. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Watched the 14 Minutes EJ played Vs Aston Villa. Aston villa was packing it in, so this wasent a game where EJ could just use his speed....so he had to actually hold the ball up and do quick combinations................and guess what he was perfect in that regard. Held the ball up from mid-air passes nicely a couple of times + his speed made the defenders double team him when he was running. My opnion is, if EJ can hold the ball up in the EPL and continue to do it, than eventually whats going to be the point of Ching? Also EJ= World Cup expierance and Ching = no World Cup expierance.

17. tottenham1115

tottenham1115 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    youre a sock puppet too! Arrrrggghhhhh onyewued has so many!

18. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    return of the GAM!!!

19. Jwaksman

Jwaksman New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with you that I'd rather see EJ on the World Cup team than Ching. I actually talked about this about two years ago when the "Is EJ a bust or not?" frenzy was at its highest pitch on these forums: EJ just has the higher potential (update: found the post!). Ching is a solid player, but he has a ceiling... and it's not too high. There is zero chance that Ching will be a star at the World Cup or any other major international tournament - zero. I'd love to have him on my MLS team, and he was often the best player on the field with that crappy roster we sent to the '09 Gold Cup, but he will never be a star at the World Cup level.

EJ is not going to be the savior of US soccer, and there's absolutely no way that he should be starting for our "A" team now or next year. But with his potential - if he has a good season at Fulham, why not give him the opportunity to be a sub off the bench in South Africa? He has the potential to provide a spark. His ceiling is just higher than Ching's is.

20. chimac4u

chimac4u Red Card

Aug 9, 2006
    I agree with what you're saying here. I'd also like to point out that Ching reached that ceiling long ago. Some would argue that his skills have even begun to decline since.

21. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

yes, i was a big fan of Ching from 2005-2007 when he hit his prime and Ceiling.......................but this 2009-2010 and he is 31 going on 32 and he has no World Cup expierance to boot. he should not be given an automatic roster spot because he can hold the ball up well or because of MLS Veteran "expierance".

22. hairynippleman

Jun 13, 2007
    and you just lost your last shred of credibility when you said EJ should be on the wc team.

23. soccermusician

Oct 20, 2004
    I'd take a ball holding and combining EJ over ching ANYDAY! Hope e can get some juice back, this guy at 75% is still better than a 100% ching!

24. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the way the rest of Fulham is playing right now, I really think Eddie will be getting some chances. I'd love to see what he and Zamora could do because their styles should complement each other really well.

I'll put money on EJ at least being in camp for the October qualifiers.

25. jogobonito

jogobonito Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Brooklyn

this from the guy who last week was going around shouting that Gooch was a traitor.
    you can have your opinions but i assure you, nobody recognizes you as any kind arbiter of credibility...

EJ probably won't make the Cup roster, but you can't say he isn't in the conversation. A lot can change over the course of this club season; if Eddie continues to play well for Fulham, even situationally, he'd have made a solid case for inclusion.