Eddie Johnson: What Is His Transfer Value Right Now? (R for USA result)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by FC Tallavana, Nov 18, 2004.

1. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    So, how much money would it take for a Euro team to pry EJ from MLS right now.

Five goals for a 20y/o in only 100+ minutes of WC qualifying is enough to draw interest from almost any team looking for a striker.

I would speculate that it would take 4-5 million dollars for MLS to sell EJ's services right now.

Any thoughts?

2. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree that MLS would be dumb to accept any less than that right now, but i think it would be in the best interests of all parties (EJ, MLS, club buying him) if he stays in MLS for another season.

3. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sell him for 5 times his salary and giggle like a little girl to the bank.

4. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    We should be able to get more than 250K for him.

5. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    After seeing the development of our YA's compared to the development of MLS guys, I'm having some doubts about it being in EJ's best interest to stay in MLS.

Did you see how calm and collected Spector was last night? Playing a WC qualifier against Jamaica in front of 9,000 is nothing compared to playing before 50,000+ in the Charity Shield, EPL, Champions League, and Carling Cup.

I think we've already seen a change in DMB as well. In fact, I've seen more growth in DMB during the past three months than I saw out of him in the previous three years.

I love MLS but most of the games don't mean a thing.

6. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    They'll never get that for him. He'll just refuse to sign an extension and go to a club on a free transfer. It's well known he has aspirations to play in Europe. A "Clint Mathis" like scenario will probably play out. MLS will refuse a bunch of 2-3 mill offers, EJ will get pissed and refuse to sign an extension.

7. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the Euro-USD exchange rate what it is, 2M euro is 2.6M USD.
    I'd be suprised if Europeans didn't take some fliers in the Jan transfer window. Hell, if the exchange rate keeps going this way, I'd be suprised if the Canadians don't start a buying frenzy. :p

8. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 million + sell on clause right now.......BTW, is it just me who is starting to like the prospect of say Dutch/French/Portuguese clubs (using DMB's example) rather than more recognized/bigger clubs in England/Germany?
    Since the former are teams that usually sell, both the transition for the players is slower (and in many cases would make for a more complete player IMO) and the possibilities of a further sale in the future creates additional revenue for MLS....Jus thought i'd throw that out there....

9. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I don't think so. I believe offers for EJ this January will be far higher than what MLS ever hoped to get for him in a year or two. They'll take the money.

BTW, EJ could probably command 5 million plus (the dollar is very weak against the Euro & Pound) this January should his agent market him right.

From MLS' perspective, 5 million could get Mathis, Keller, and Reyna into the fold for a couple of years.

10. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    It isn't just you.

11. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd sell for $3 mil...if he really wants to go. Even if he scores 20+ goals next year I don't think anyone would offer more than $5 mil for him then.

12. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    The dollar is weak right now. 5 million dollars is only about 2.75 million pounds at the moment (which sucks for me as my wife and I are heading to England in two weeks).

13. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    I had him at only 2m a month ago, it's amazing how quickly his value is growing. Now is the time to sell, I hear he's going to train at psv after man-u.

14. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    :)

15. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Ugh - we just lost Jason and now you guys want to sell Eddie too?! We've got a new stadium that needs stars to put people in the seats!

Keep Eddie or Landon; don't get rid of both in the same year...

16. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    Try being a student living in Scotland. Nothing is more sad than having to divide your account balance by 2 to figure out how much you have for over here.

On topic, he can't get a work permit yet, so the pound is out. I'd say 2 million Euro is the top offer you'll see for him. 1.5 is more reasonable, and MLS would be foolish to refuse it. Hopefully he can manage to tack on another two weeks of training and drop by Feyenoord bc if they sell Kalou to Chelsea, they'll be looking for a replacement.

17. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    With his recent international showing he might be able to get one on appeal if his new manager will profess him to be a certain starter. That said, I would like to see him at PSV.

18. Beppe

Beppe BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 29, 2004
    Milano
    Eddie Johnson should stick it out in the MLS for one more season. The kid is barely getting his confidence and starting to know how to score. Then he can go to Holland, France or somewhere where he can start.

19. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Honestly two million US is laughable. Eddie is important to Dallas and for him to leave for two million US or less would be a slap in the face for their fans. Couldn't Eddie get a work permit on appeal anyway? Howard went for 2.3 million pounds or 4.25 million dollars. EJ's talent, form, and heat all push his value north of 2.5 million dollars. I would rather have EJ sign with Ajax than PSV because of their forward situation.

20. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every player & situation is different. You cited Spector, DMB, but then there is Bobby Convey. I have no doubt he would be a more confident, accomplished player right now if he had stayed with DC & had the opportunity to be coached by Nowak. It may work out for him in the end, but he apparently wasn't ready to jump right in.

EJ should stay for another year.

21. NASL Fan

NASL Fan Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Los Angeles, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what's the record for a transfer received by MLS for one of its players?

22. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    I left a voicemail for Ivan a month ago on this.

US$3,500,000.00

No less is acceptable. GE is in one helluva fix here.

Ivan could probably get that right now.

I was one of the first on the "EJ = Thierry Henry Starter Kit" bandwagon
    over 8 months ago. Seriously, the kid has the tools, the talent, and against
    EPL opposition last night, he looked the goods.

Guys with half his talent and capability regularly change hands for
    3-4 million quid, much less dollars.

It's really a seller's market with EJ, Ivan is in an enviable position.
    The Cap issue re: work permit won't be a problem come August.
    The Big 4 sides know this by now. And MLS has two one-year options.

With European Big-4 level service, EJ is worth 20 goals over 40 fixtures.

If Ivan does the deal for less than US$3.5MM in January he's nuts,
    because by August, if EJ does the business in the hex, he could easily
    be looking at 5 Million Pounds at least. Barring injury, EJ's value can
    only go up, and Ivan has two transfer windows to play with.

GE is in one helluva fix here.

-bs

23. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    There are two ways not undersale your best striker prospect: (remember good strikers asking for much more moneys, think about those values for young players--C. Ronaldo, Robben, Persie, Reyes, etc.)

1) Do a loan deal for EPL club that has trouble to scoring but have adaquate midfield services. If he tears the league during the show window period, then talking about a sale;

2) Do a co-sharing agreement with PSV, Feyenood or Ajax. Give us $3M now with $2M as the bonus (if he scored xxx goals, etc.) And if these clubs sell him to Chealsea, Arsenal, Man. U., Real Madrid, Bacelona, etc., MLS got 30%-50% cut.

24. Delsocfan

Delsocfan New Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. twenty

twenty New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    I'd like to see Eddie in MLS one more year, just out of selfishness. Just one more year.

Any chance of FSW picking up the Dutch league again next year?