Eddie Johnson v. II: Fulham, Cardiff, Malmo and Beyond

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by frenil, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frenil

frenil Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Lund
    Swedish media are now reporting on the Johnson to Malmö FF rumour.

http://www.eurosport.se/fotboll/allsvenskan/2009/malmo-jagar-fulhamspelare_sto1832390/story.shtml

It basically says that Malmö FF are are looking for a replacement following the sale of Ola Toivonen to PSV, and that they're looking towards Eddie Johnson. The director of football for MFF comfirms that he may have heard of Eddie Johnson, but he won't comfirm or deny wether the rumours are true. It then goes on to say that Johnson's agent, Richard Motzkin, has been in Malmö, which he comfirms. But he won't reveal anything else.

Mod Note: I've used Frenil's post and the discussion following it from the previous thread to start this new thread.

2. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Re: Edward Johnson

That is very promising imo. I think it would be a great move if it turns out to be true. With Chopra at Cardiff, EJ's chances are basically none now, except for reserve games.

As said before, a move to a league like Sweden would be good because it would relieve a lot of pressure imo.

I hope it turns out to be true.

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Go Eddie, go please go to Malmo!! I hope this is true. He needs a major rebound and this is an outlet. I want Eddie to get back into form and start succeeding. Wipe the slate clean and just focus on nothing but football. Forget the national team, forget fulham, forget Cardiff, just work to get back to scoring goals. Malmo has been a good place for strikers so hopefully, if this is true, Malmo can be a resurrection.

4. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry, Eddie, but your time is up.

At least he got some cash outta this whole "soccer" thing.

5. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The scary possibility is that it may not be that he's out of form. He might just be this bad. I mean, I want him to succeed. It would be great to see him do well. But honestly he hasn't done much for a long time. He had one 14 goal season in MLS. One 15 goal season where he was on fire for the first half and non-existent for the second. Then he had a bunch of international goals against weak competition (aside from the Argentina PK but that credit really goes to Feilhaber for a sublime pass that EJ botched.) and the vast majority of those were almost 4 years ago. Even then they were often tap-ins or empty net rebounds. Nothing to make you think he was a superlative player.
    I don't mean this to be a rip on EJ post. I just think it's entirely possible that his ceiling is as an above average-to-good MLS forward. Anything above that and the sizable holes in his game seem to be clearly and painfully exposed. He has great pace but no idea what to do with it. He is a decent finisher but doesn't have the technical or tactical ability to get in a position to finish against decent defenders.
    I hope he improves. He certainly can though maybe not significantly. Very few, if any, pace-dependent strikers bloom later in their career but that doesn't mean it's impossible. But me? I'm not going to hold my breath. That way if he does improve to the point that he becomes serviceable against decent competition it will be a happy surprise.

6. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's not over til ya can't get paid.

7. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What , teams in the Swedish league don't care if they win or lose?

8. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

No thats not what I mean. He is in the spotlight in England, it's the best league in the world. In Sweden it is a good league but not the best. According to another member it isn't as good as Norway,Denmark,etc. Apparently it is easy to score in.

At Cardiff and Fulham he was never needed, he needs to go to a team where he will get pt. He needs to go somewhere where the media isn't so harsh.

If its true it will be a good move. He needs to get back on track.

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

SKY has now picked up the story. It also quotes Richard Motzkin who's in Malmo. It says this could be a loan deal. Seems like this story is picking up a little steam. I hope it's true. Eddie needs to play.

10. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

It almost seems like Sky Sports takes delight in writing "USA international" and "flop" in the same story.

11. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

This is only what i've experienced through FM but EJ will be allowed to move to Malmo on loan right? Even though the window is closed?

I hope this happens.

Malmo seem to be playing dumb "I may have heard of him".

Though I can understand it if there still working things out. I think Fulham would agree to it,especially since it is Roy's former club.

12. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000

I wouldn't mind "flopping" into this.. you lucky bastard EJ..

[​IMG]

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

EJ's an example of how US scouts/fans/pundits can seduced by raw physical tools. In leagues like MLS being faster, stronger, taller, etc. than your opponent can take you far. You can even look really good against CONCACAF opposition, as he has for us in WCQ. But in the top leagues in the world, you better have the technique and a good soccer brain.
    This may sound silly, but the English championship just might be a top 10 league in the world. There's not much difference between the bottom half of the premiership and the top half of the championship.

I think Eddie can do well in the Swedish league. After all, Charlie Davies has. Of course, I haven't seen Charlie's club games enough to know how his talent differs from EJ's. CD's got a higher ceiling for sure.

14. frenil

frenil Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Lund

Swedish clubs are allowed to buy players until the end of march.

15. frenil

frenil Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Lund

I hope Eddie is no Charlie Davies. It took an entire season for Charlie Davies to get acclimated to the swedish league and develop the skills necassary to succeed. He has the physical properties, but he had no idea on what to do tactically.

Malmö FF need someone who immediatly can step in and fill the role of Ola Toivonen.

16. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca

Don't worry, Eddie isn't Charlie Davis. He will be as good on his first day as ever.

17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wouldn't mind either! :D But Eddie might pass since he has a woman and a baby Stateside which might be a reason he has yet to settle in Europe. ;)

18. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

According to Charlie, he took so long to become acclimated because early on he refused to prepare himself as a professional should. He said that he believed he'd be able to compete on the merits of his talents alone. Not until late in his first season did he begin to take the necessary steps to be a pro....and it showed at the end of that season and beyond.

Now I don't want to speak for Eddie, but I'd venture a guess that this past year has already taught him those lessons amongst many others.

My hope is that he is a player who's a bit demoralized by his experiences in England and only in need of a bit of confidence....which getting playing time/success with Malmo will give him.

Unfortunately his shortcomings have been found out in a very public way and I doubt his ego was prepared to deal with it.

I sincerely hope he snaps out of it and succeeds in Europe. I still believe he can.

19. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
  20. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

It's time for DaMarcus Beasley, Bobby Convey and Eddie Johnson to get back on the big jet and come home, probably for good.

And Johnson can't start at Cardiff City, for goodness' sake. He is so far down the totem pole that a few U.S. fans actually got excited about his added-time cameo for Cardiff (all of 1 minute) against Arsenal on Jan. 25.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/column...=americansabroad&root=americansabroad&cc=5901

21. Stephen P

Stephen P New Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Georgia
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Beasley and Convey have had a decent run in Europe. Coming back for them should really not be viewed as a failure. If Eddie gave up now and came back it could only be considered a total failure. Taking a chance at another Euro league and hopefully finding success would be big for him.

22. frenil

frenil Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Lund
  23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sounds like the typical comments from a club spokesman when talks are on-going. I suspect something is in the works, either a loan or outright purchase. Either way I hope this goes down.

24. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

Same here. I hope we hear something in the next couple or days/weeks. I really want this to go through.

I'm thinking a loan with an option to buy.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

The difference between the two is that Charlie went to Hammarby right out of college (Boston college). He'd never been a professional. Eddie's been a pro for a long time, since about 2001. Before that he was at the US U-17 academy in Bradenton, so he's been in a soccer environment for a long time. It should take him much less time to get situated and ready to play with the team. Whether he's good enough is another question entirely. I don't watch enough of the Swedish league to know. He was one of the best forwards in MLS for quite a while, and played well for the USMNT against CONCACAF teams. But he struggled at the highest levels in England. No disgrace, really. Plenty of players don't make it there, and go on to suceed in other leagues

In other words, we'll just have to see...............