Eddie Johnson training w/Man U. this winter...

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jri, Nov 6, 2004.

1. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's really scary is that I knew that 1923 was the year Ruth hit .393, the highest batting average of his career.

Apparently I made a tragic error somewhere and internalized far too much obscure and irrelevant baseball information. I sincerely apologize.

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Yes, I think it would. Lord knows Dutch teams are always getting players who are raw, building them up, and then selling them for a large amount of money.

3. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do know that Jamil Walker (Earthquakes) trained with Celtic during the winter last year.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I love these off-season training deals because the English press always writes them up as trials and then we get to start all kinds of fun speculation threads. That said, Manchester United probably should have picked up Joe Cannon when they had the chance...

5. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    this is just the tip of the ice berg...I understand Everton is actively looking to set up a States side academy...Man u already has scouts over here...the EPL clubs have "done a columbus" and discovered America...land of the free....home of John Wayne ( and a lot of talented, inexpensive players)

6. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I think they all love what Sir Alex called "that American thing where they have to win all the time". That just doesn't seem to be a common trait in Europe for whatever reason, I fail to understand how it can't be.

7. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    WWI and WWII

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Dave, I believe that I read somewhere reputable that Hoddle's rather meek defense of Bobby was to be interpreted that way. If so, I may have been repeating someone else's speculation or perhaps an inside knowledge as best as I can recall it ... but I added no personal interpretation of my own.

But my main point that concern to get Edie the required caps may be misdirected is still valid. Players do get EPL work permits despite not having the obligatory number of caps after their application is reviewed by the labor panel.

I'll speculate - see the disclaimer! - that Bobby's primary role as a substitute on the national roster combined with his insufficient caps was the determining factor in his rejection of a year ago.

Hoddle later complained that, given a similar situation, Tim Howard's appeal was successful because ManU received a superior treatment from the officials than Tottenham. Others however pointed out that Alex Ferguson vouched for Tim as a likely starter whereas Hoddle said no such thing about Bobby Convey.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Talented players or talented athletes with an aptitude for the game of soccer?

I'd say that in many cases, it's the latter.

Still, when a team like Arsenal or ManU can seemingly take a promising though by no means an accomplished American youngster and turn him into a capable ColaShip starter at the very least within a 2-year time span, then this bodes well for something resembling a real Klondike rush.

David Moyes made a comment that, while other countries appear to exhaust their soccer talent, America seems to be rife with it.

I think he has a good point.

Of course, if Euros can discover a slew of 18-year old wing-backs with a solid crossing ability, what will it say about the MLS?

10. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That it is a young league trying to stay afloat until it can spend more when it starts making money?

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    To whom are you referring?

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, how many MLS wing-backs are capable of consistently hitting a swerved cross between the penalty spot and the 6-yard line?

From either side?

Chris Albright, maybe. And he's a former forward/midfielder.

Are there any others?

13. silentbob

silentbob Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Is there a FIFA rule that allows the UK to issue a Grown Ass Work Permit?

14. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    UK internal labor laws supercede the FIFA and UEFA regulations but not the EU's decrees.

16. mtr8967

mtr8967 New Member

Aug 15, 2003
    But to what end? Are they only looking at kids with grandparents born in Western Europe? The WP rules seem to stifle everything.

17. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Yeah but when Chris does that he's actually shooting on goal.... :D

18. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    My understanding ( and I may well be wrong) is that a WP is only required in England for the EPL, not for the lower divisions. If I'm wrong then Everton or who ever still has the "Belgium rule" ( Man U uses this all the time) whereby a young player, say 13-14 is sent to Belgium for three years after which time he is eligible for residency...which then transfers to other EU members...at which time the young man can play in England.

19. dub77

dub77 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    in denial
    When teams used the "Belgium rule" before did they buy players and send them to Belguim or did they own the rights to the player and let the Belguim team sort of own the player till the team that had his rights wanted him to play for them? :D

20. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Man Utd has an "understanding" with Royal Antwerp whereby RA gets players on loan and Man U sends them young teenage boys who are not EU eligible and monitors their development...if the kid pans out then he "belongs" to Man U....

21. dub77

dub77 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    in denial
    So sorta what I said. Thanks

22. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should see him when he's not trying to shoot.

23. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Actuall, you are wrong. It applies to all levels of professional football in the entire UK, not just England and certainly not just the EPL

If you're really interested

24. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    :D

25. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    For What it's worth...

On Redcafe's youth forum... it mentioned that another Eddie Johnson (meaning our boy) arrived today...

Anyone know how long he's supposed to be there training?