Eddie Johnson: Cardiff v. Derby April 8th @ 2:45PM Eastern Time

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Soccer Obsession, Apr 8, 2009.

1. mattygp

mattygp New Member

May 6, 2006
    I just uploaded another clip of the goal. Still not great quality, but its a better view of the goal and the defensive blunder that led to the goal. It also shows his own goal but it's hard to see exactly what happened. http://watchsocceronline.blogspot.com/

2. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Actually, a great goal by Eddie. Showed great hustle + closing speed to punish defender, then very well taken.

From first view, the own goal looked even better however! How did he ever do that?

3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Wow - that goal was even more impressive when you see the whole sequence - he jumped all over the mistouch and showed none of his usual hesitation/fecklessness in the box. Great goal.

4. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    A very nice goal by EJ. He just keeps getting better and better. Credit to Cardiff and the fans, he really needed this.

It really this a new EJ. Yes there will still be haters, but you can't deny that he's improved.

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second video really did show what quality goal it was. Very opportunistic. The defender felt a little pressure and his slightest little mistake let EJ capitalize. The acceleration into the area and that little stutter step put the keeper on his heals and he thumped it past him. I'm proud of EJ he's really knuckled and focused and seems to be getting over the slump. Mr. Jones should be given credit he's been patient and has gone out is way to help EJ. It would have been easy to dump him.

6. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I'm sure the two clubs could work out a deal. The question will be will Eddie take a gigantic paycut. I believe he's one of Cardiff's highest paid players right now. Not sure Cardiff would want to keep him for that.

7. Lobooho

Lobooho Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Cali
    Exactly people. The old Eddie would of stopped and looked for a back pass. Attack. Attack. Nice.

8. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Eddie is no longer a motherfecker, eh?

10. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara

the whole "back pass" big soccer obsession is ridiculious. a "back pass" is called keeping possession.

11. ScottyB10

ScottyB10 Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Waco, Texas
  12. jogobonito

jogobonito Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Brooklyn
    good to see at least somebody in this forum understands the game!

We don't have internationally experienced creative attackers, so BB has chosen a conservative posession-oriented style for the Nats. It's boring, but it usually gets us results.
    and frankly with MLS-grade talent, it makes sense.

When our strikers start doing damage in top Euro leagues, then there'll be no excuse for playing scared internationally

13. MJ-inBRITAIN

MJ-inBRITAIN Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    curiously I feel let down. read the game wrap on my phone and assumed the first 'johnson' goal was ej's too!

oh well, he's eddie the eagle still i think.

14. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    This works.. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Ap1353Its"]YouTube - Cardiff City 4 - 1 Derby County (Highlights)[/ame]
    but not good quality..

15. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason it didn't work for me on firefox, the browser I always use, but it did work on Safari. So maybe try another browser if you can? Or else, maybe it only works in the UK. I'm not sure.

16. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I'm thinking. For me it just said that there were no clips available.

17. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    I just can't understand why the players don't just run to the goal and kick it in.

18. Lobooho

Lobooho Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Cali
    A "back pass" to maintain possession has its place. So does stealing the ball near the midfield and attacking the goal with conviction and clarity of purpose.

19. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    And the particular context determines when each should take place. Interestingly, over the years, I've heard a number of foreign coaches and players complain that American players were too prone to go forward regardless of whether the situation dictated it or not.

20. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    His speed, reaction time looks pretty remarkable if you stop + view it second-by-second, frame-by- frame (starting at 37 sec). He covers quite some ground.

21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No need to bring Mike Bradley into it. (Kidding.)

22. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    The goal was fantastic. I'm also surprised that supercooper said something positive about EJ.