Eddie Johnson back at Fulham--guess who got some PT?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by pavlovscat567, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some interesting quotes from the man himself.

It was made before the Liverpool clash got called-off, obviously, but still interesting tidbits. He might go out on loan if they bring in reinforcements over the winter window & he's looking to stay in Europe after his contract is up.

2. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He would be welcomed back at Aris :)

3. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I for one would love to see him at Aris. It's about his level, and the Aris fanbase definitely added a spark to this forum.

4. R1PP

R1PP Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Swarthmore, PA
    Eddie was a fingertip away from scoring today. Probably wouldn't have changed the result, but a shame he didn't have a bit more luck to get his first EPL goal.

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
  7. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6 is not a poor rating. It is the base rating you get and indicates an average performance, neither particularly nor particularly bad.

8. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

i was looking at the ratings column next to it where he is a 4.2 the least of the strikers...

9. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that's why I didn't even mention the fan ratings.

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Fulham is in the relegation zone now.

I don't think Sparky will be let go yet - he's got a nice deal just a few months ago - but they need some reinforcements.

At least, Panstil played well enough today, so their backline is getting sorted out but they need AJ to stop wasting chances.

11. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    :confused: Paintsil? Lots of turnovers and terrible on the second goal

12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im thinking hughes is gonna go after Roque Santa Cruz to solve their offensive woes, he'd go a long way in the effort i think

13. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    City refuses to sell to any team in the EPL because they dont want their opposition to get stronger. So stupid imo because they have so many good players not even playing. Even if Fulham gets Santa Cruz, who knows what type of form he is in.

14. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, just saw a replay of the chance, incredible save by Green. That's got to be a contender for save of the season, up there with Timmay's leg save in my book.

Funny that the GK that let in Deuce's only goal in the World Cup with a howler, saved EJ's best chance at an EPL goal with an incredible save.

Santa, if your reading bigsoccer, all I want for Christmas is an EJ EPL goal. Just one, before he gets loaned out or sold/leaves Fulham.

15. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Santa Cruz will be going to Getafe. He's been rumored to go their for quite some time with London pretty much creating the buzz around a reunion with Hughes. Many of the City leftovers will be on the move out of England as they have suitors lined up. But their will be guys like Lescott and SWP may end with mid to bottom table clubs like Newcastle and Everton once more.

City will not sell to big four or in form teams this season. They can't risk missing out on Champions League. But they will sell to the likes of Fulham.

16. mccscratch

mccscratch Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    I do think it is laughable now how so many of the posters on the Fulham boards continue to berate Eddie when the fact of the matter is when he has come on with at least 20 mins to work with Fulham have looked a much better side...

It is the same old tired comments about him looking like a chicken with his head cut off and that is where the true bias has come out... He has made several intelligent runs and passes and shows hustle when ever the other teams back line gains possession. He has been unlucky not to score with two chances where a toe and fingertip have denied what would have been very well taken goals... all the while Andy Johnson continues to stink up the joint with poor finishes if he even creates a chance on his own... Just un fair really because I feel EJ is living up to his end of the bargain at the end of the matches by coming on and providing a spark... He has even held the play up better than Kamara and AJ...

17. R1PP

R1PP Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Swarthmore, PA
    Ditto! He should get a lot of chances during the congestion of the next few weeks. Seems like Hughes was quick to pull some players knowing they have lots of games coming up. Hopefully he will get at least 20 mins for the next few games.

18. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to disagree with the assertion that Fulham have looked "much better" when he's come on. They've looked just about the same. Toothless and unlikely to score.

19. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    errr i only one game so far, but if video evidence were submissiable, I would submit it to clearly dissprove that statement....

20. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First 30 minutes of the game yesterday was Fulham's best stretch of play, by far.

21. roboatse

roboatse Member

Oct 4, 2010
    seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe EJ will get some play time next season in the Championship and then when Fulham gets repromoted, he'll be able to keep his spot.

22. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    LOL. You're so completely predictable.

23. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    You disagree.......Just so you can disagree.

24. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Because I watched the full match and pointed out the obvious, Fulham were not "much better" when EJ came on (and their best stretch of play was the first 30 minutes).

With that being said, they weren't necessarily any worse when he came on (especially compared to the 20 minutes or so prior to his substitution). And let me actually give my first compliment here to EJ (although to be honest, it's going to be a backhanded one); after watching the Fulham strike force over the past few weeks, I wouldn't be upset with Hughes if he gives EJ more minutes. He's just as capable of putting in frustrating goalless scoring performances as the rest of the strikers.

25. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe iad_22201 is the sort to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. I haven't noticed. But, in this case, he's correct in pointing out that Fulham were a much better side in the opening 30 minutes.

EJ's appearance as a sub didn't make them look any better than they had in the first portion of the match.

I will say that if Fulham are going to keep playing long balls to a forward hoping for some semblance of hold up play EJ is a much better option than AJ and plays that role much better for the team.