Eddie "Big Money" Johnson

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Rocket, Jul 6, 2005.

1. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    According to the graph in this thread: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218109
    EJ's base salary is actually $750K. The $875k is with bonuses. Although with the year we've been having he might be more around that. What I find interesting is the two Chicago players on that list, Armas and Sanneh. Neither are likely to be around much longer, which means they will have two max salary slots open up to them in the near future. Lots of room to make that team better....and they aren't so bad right now. Pretty scary for the Eastern Conference teams.

2. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Did anyone see the story on Channel 8 last night about EJ? They talked about his humble background to being the second highest-paid in the MLS. Had a good interview and some video of FCD and Men’s Nat.

3. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    anyone know the salary of europe based playrers ?

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone think to ask him how his injury was healing?

5. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    There is a link to a spreadsheet on the NY Times website of all MLS player salaries. Here are the numbers for all Dallas players

Name, Base Salary, Guaranteed Compensation
    EJ, 750k, 875k
    Vanney, 216k, 241k
    Simo, 171k, 174k
    Mulrooney, 156k, 169k
    ROB, 150k, 158k
    Jolley, 90k, 92k
    Garlick, 70k, 76k
    Talley, 70k, 70k
    Pareja, 67k, 67k
    Rhine, 63k, 63k
    Mina, 60k, 60k
    Nunez, 60k, 78k (I'm shocked)
    Gbandi, 55k, 58k
    Cassar, 46k, 46k
    Ruiz, 40k, 70k
    Goodson, 31k, 36k
    Moor, 30k, 42k
    Alvarez, 30k, 42k
    Maurin, 28k, 28k
    Salyer, 28k, 28k
    Wags, 28k, 28k
    Yi, 28k, 28k (as former Euro player, I'd have though he made more)
    Gomez, 16k, 16k
    Pitch 16k, 16k (underpaid...clap, clap, clap)
    Abe 16k, 16k (ditto)
    El Gatooooooo 12k, 12k
    Alex Woods, 12k, 12k

6. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    BTW, checking the other HSG teams and we have the biggest payroll by a good amount.

COL - $1.5 mil
    KC - $1.77 mil
    DAL - $2.6 mil

LA - $2.7 mil
    NY - $1.86 mil
    DC - $2.17 mil
    CHI - $2.2 mil

Okay, I don't know about you guys, but my bitching about HSG and the FO stops right effing now.

edited to add: for clarification, these aren't the true "cap" numbers as only $275k can count per player, and salaries can be knocked down by allocations. However, this is the true "cost" of the roster. HSG is paying out the ass for ours and we all need to send a big thanks to them.

7. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great analysis ! I apreciate it... could you put in piechart form in groups of most impact, some impact, low impact, and no impact in proportion to their weight to the player payroll... You may use minutes played as one ot the catalyst.

8. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a suggestion.... Let' form a supporters group, buy season tix, pester familiy, friends, co-workers, neighbors, w/ soccer talk... waste productive time discussing soccer, bitching about the FO, players and teams... What say you??? I think we are almost there !!!

9. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    Can we get together hours before kickoff and drink beer too?

10. jwedding

jwedding Member

Jul 21, 2003
    McKinney
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, my wife and I met him outside in the parking lot and asked him how that was going, along with how his visit to Nike went.

He was extremely cordial to a couple of strangers, and said that he hoped he'd be back in a week and a half or two. That's a player guess, so I'd bet it was three by the time all was said and done.

11. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Only if its cheap.

12. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    voila! la piece de la resistance.

13. texas arsenal

texas arsenal New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Frisco Tx
    FCD and LA on top in terms of salaries. I guess a SSS really does pay off, unless its in Columbus.

14. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Someone needs to explain to me how RSL has a bigger roster number than Metro......I thought the league "shennanigans" would have prevented that from happening. Guess all the conspiracy theories can go bye bye now.

15. Chung'sleftboot

Chung'sleftboot New Member

Apr 3, 2004
    I got to meet him at the Rapids, FCD match after/ autograph session. He is really a great kid! He was affable, cordial, wasn't sure what to write on the autograph, he asked everyone in line what they wanted on their autograph. No other big name players do that, I hope he stays the way he is and I wish him continued good fortune. :)

16. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are very nice things to say, and I hope that he hears you. Personalizing autographs is a good way to "curb" the memorabilia underground trading... not to say that's a problem in MLS.

17. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you know HSG is paying the "true cost" of the roster?

My understanding is that the league holds all player contracts, and that the salary burden is split between the owner-operator and the league.

Besides, the only reason HSG let the payroll get so high is that they no doubt plan to sell EJ in a year or two's time.

Invest a $500k/yr in EJ for a year or two, and reap $2.5million as your share of the transfer proceeds a few seasons from now.

Sure, we could say thanks to HSG for investing in EJ, but really they're only doing it to line their own pockets, and not out of any generosity to the team or Dallas fans.

18. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    True, but they do have control over what players they sign and seek out in order to keep salaries down league-wide. Sure, its only a portion of the total costs, but if you are in business you know the kinds of pressures GE is under to keep his share of costs down as much as possible.

Even without EJ's salary we are still the HSG team with the largest roster expense. EJ's salary isn't really decided by HSG, its decided by the league's competition committee. And yes, of course it is based on expected transfer fees for the league. I've been told by Buzz, and others, that there is no money to reap as a share of the transfer fee. All you get is an allocation. I personally don't think that is true....but that's what I've been told.

19. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vanney
    Mulrooney
    Simo
    Ronnie
    EJ
    Keeping Cassar and Garlick

The bottom line is this - whoever it is, however it is happening, the league is spending big bucks on Dallas. It is showing on the field. Adam is right - of the teams in the league, this year anyway, we have the least to bitch about. Period.

LA? Sure, they got Landycakes, but the move for Steve Sampson was stupid and he is ruining that team.

Anyone else in the middle of building a SSS (however slowly it is getting done)? None other than Chicago, and they just fired one of the (if not THE) most well-liked and supporters-group friendly GMs in the league.

Columbus is going through the same crap we went through in 2003 with Andrulis.

San Jose and KC are on the trading block. CDC and Real spent money on players who aren't paying off for them. (BTW, the Real-Metro question - see Pope and Mathis.)

Colorado's fan experience is pathetic. Both on the field and in the stands.

Metro? They have the biggest joke in MLS as a GM (although the team seems to be turning things around a bit...)

DC? Their team keeps giving them glimpses of being good and then falling apart.

This year, it is a great (although not perfect) year to be an FCD fan.

20. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    You fail to mention NE......a team you consider better than FCD with the lowest payroll in MLS. That's some scary stuff right there. They have the cap room to get better! Thank goodness the owner is cheap ass bastard who doesn't care about soccer. But this also means they will be able to keep that team together for a while. Wow.

21. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew I forgot to mention someone.

But their FO/stadium situation is pathetic. When I was talking with Monty (NE version of Jonno) about our noon tailgate starts, he was not happy. They can't start but two hours before gametime, and they have to worry about getting in-stadium early because their area is GA and the team won't help protect an area for them.

They've had other serious problems as well. They would KILL for what we have on tailgate stuff.

And the idea of the GM watching the game with you (or right below you) for half the game? He was speechless.

But on the field, yeah, they're in good shape. Noonan, Twellman, Dempsey, Joseph, Reis - all are top-end players with reasonable cap situations. The one thing they need to be monsters is a ROB or a Mulrooney. (Good lord, we have two - and maybe three if Wilson is what we think he will be.... Talk about an embarrasment of riches!) Cancela is not the best playmaker in the league.

One note - apparently there is cheering in Ohio. Word is that Andrulis has been fired (or relieved of his duties or something.)

22. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Press conference was two hours ago, I think.

Yeah, I was mainly talking about on-the-field stuff. No question NE fans have a big reason to bitch about their situation.

23. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fear NE trading Cancela to somewhere and finding a real central mid. What if they find the next Wilson? Surely Nicol can do as well as CC has done in that department.....

24. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :( We're not worthy ! We're not worthy! I shall face to the east, rest on my knees bow at my ead as our Sgt. @ arms unsheathes The INFERNO sword of shame and decapitates my souless body....then my head would roll all the way to the CBC HQ. Bro. Manck & Bro. Nick would open me a highlife insert a straw and woo hoo ! Good to go!

25. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Gordon, did you take your meds today?