Ecuador WCQ Matches vs Colombia and Bolivia

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by Luigi408, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    It was an epic miss. If we somehow fail to qualify, that miss will haunt him and all of Ecuador for many years. Let's hope that's not the case.

2. lav92

lav92 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    The red card was unlucky. When Achillier loses the ball it was because the ball took an awkward bounce. It would've never happened if Valencia or Paredes got to that Erazo pass just seconds before. Bolivia is done. They have nothing to play for. We are the ones who want it, we have the quality too. Ohhh and I forgot to mention Mendez's class. The man always brings it to the NT. The way he controlled the pace had a huge impact on Colombia and the fans. I hate to see a loss like this but we showed Colombia we were better at times with a man down. I mean I know we gotta respect ppl's opinions but some ppl can't see certain things and love to talk.

3. Lucho Gutierrez

May 29, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It would be tragic if we don't qualify and a little humiliating considering how close we were and how our opponents below us would have had to jump over us after playing mediocre over most of the qualifiers. I agree that miss pissed me off so much can't get the image out of my head. It was actually the first miss I saw on the national team for a penalty...

4. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Lets face it we are not good enough, if Brazil were playing we'd be out by now.

5. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I am a veteran in Ecuador games, I remember the 1994 World Cup qualifiers, Not being able to beat Bolivia in Guayaquil even when we had 65% of ball control, Gavica and Aguinaga were dominating, we played well that whole qualifier. we finished 4th in a group of 5. behind Brasil, Bolivia and Uruguay, so I can honestly say We are the one team that has improved the most in the last 2 decades. Now I see how some of you get frustrated by this type of loss, but this is reality, at this point Colombia is a better team, cant argue, but we showed that we are not giving this up, I do however, must admit my boy Banguera screwed up, talk about butterfingers.
    Banguera 5/10 had a decent save but I blame him for the goal.
    Paredez 7/10 Big screw up on not beating James on that goal, yet he once again showed me that hes an offensive player. not a good defender.
    Erazo: 8/10 Good game imo
    Walter 8/10 Solid game as usual, too bad about that PK
    A Valencia 7/10 good second half, I love that hes trying different sides of the field, perhaps his new coach's influence?
    Segundo Castillo 6/10 I been his advocate lol but little by little hes losing confidence.
    Noboa 6/10 great intercepter but bad passing today
    Montero 8/10 Our best player, but seriously, needs to learn to finish plays, takes on too many defenders,
    Mendez: 5/10 I was glad to see him back, but this game wasnt the proper one to bring him back to. didnt make it as creative mid and got beat a lot when he defended.
    Achillier 5/10 the foul didnt upset me, but the mistake that originated from its his and his only was doing ok before that.
    Enner Valencia 7/10 Rueda might be on to something with him.
    Guagua 7/10 Cant complaint bout him lol crazy huh

6. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Mendez needed to take that kick, BUUUUT....the substitution. I think adding Rojas was a big mistake- he got carded, and was relatively ineffective- but kudos to his nonstop running (albeit, it is expected as he has fresh legs), but Guerron needed to come in, Ibarra needed to enter earlier, and the kid from Liga instead of Guagua (who actually wasn't horrible, for a change).

7. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ecuador doesn't "Always" plays well enough. When Ecuador plays bad they get raped and when that happens it becomes a chain effect ala Copa America and the start of the 2010 Qualifiers. Who here is fine with being mediocre? And By the way, There is no such thing as playing it safe in Futbol. LOL. that doesn't exist. I think you got that confused with playing smart or maybe you don't know the Difference. I rather play great and lose 1-0 against Colombia than Get Raped 4-0 playing bad than go to Bolivia. That's just me.

How about when Liga De quito starts producing players and actually starts contributing to the NT? Is that a good start?

When has anyone in the Conmebol actually played bad and won in a qualifiers? LOL. I think you are watching too many concacaf qualifiers. and while we are dreaming. Can someone please send me some Jaibas?:D

8. Lucho Gutierrez

May 29, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I've seen Argentina play relatively bad and still win games , no offense man, I've also seen Peru do the same, in fact when they beat us 1-0 we dominated them a lot! And your opinion is pretty biased considering that you're Argentinian! You guys win something at least every 5 years, you probably don't even care if Argentina loses a game 1-0 once in a while, but Ecuador has been bad the last 5games and it doesn't seem like we're getting back in form anytime soon. I think it's comparable to the moment Chile had at the beginning of qualifiers, but FYI we already lost the last game versus Chile, that s a sure bet! The only teams that could defeat CHile in their home are Brazil, Argentina and COlombia with the players they have now. No way in hell they'll throw the towel in that game. All and all frustrating result considering we could have gotten the tie! It was right there! I think Ecuadorian fans are harder on their team than any other national team fan.. in South AMerica

9. ECUA-718

ECUA-718 Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Banguera shouldn't ever start another game for the NT.... I think Mendez did his part but his age showed ... Enner Also played well but doesn't belong up front! and if everyone was scared to take that Penalty, AV should've manned up! How the ******** does a defender take a game tying PK!? Jeff was awesome... Noboa and Castillo held the middle down well enough (but segundo seemed to fade later on) oh and Guagua came on and played solid except for one play where he should have cleared it!

10. Lucho Gutierrez

May 29, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    COlombia's defense is solid! Those guys put up a strong front un front of our guys, it seemed like we could never score on them!

11. ECUA-718

ECUA-718 Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Otherwise, it's a shame we couldn't leave at least with a point!

12. ECUA-718

ECUA-718 Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Their defense seemed solid, before that red card we were pressuring (with Montero and Enner up front) no striker/forward

13. ECUA-718

ECUA-718 Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Even tho I think we should have Started Valencia at RB and Ibarra on the right wing, Paredes also had a good game .... Smh a lot of people were writing him off! And let's hope that if Felipao scores on Tuesday he doesn't take his shirt off!!!!

14. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    we NEED goals...to put in at least 3 or 4 vs. Bolivia.

15. ECUA-718

ECUA-718 Member

Apr 9, 2010
    #140 ECUA-718, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    ------Dominguez
    -- Paredes - Guagua - Erazo - Ayovi -
    -Valencia - Noboa - Castillo - Montero -
    -----------Guerron------------
    ----------Caicedo----------

This is my formation for Tuesday!

16. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Good luck getting Rueda to put 2 forwards on the field.

We played "great" today except as soon as we got into the final third there was never anyone in the penalty area.

That's 1 goal in our last 4 matches. We're playing "great" though....we outplayed Peru, Argentina, held Spain and now fought hard against Colombia. But we have nothing to show for it, and that's what counts.

17. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Uruguay is winning and if it stays this way, we are only 2 points out of the elimination zone.

18. lyunmetrb88

lyunmetrb88 New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I actually prefer that Uruguay win. Venzuela, Peru, and Uruguay playing each other is helping us in that they're knocking each other out. If Venezuela and Peru tie on Tuesday and Ecuador at least ties against Bolivia, we are almost guaranteed 5th place. Peru would have to win all 3 games and I don't see them beating Argentina in Buenos Aires. I think we can handle Uzbekistan for the playoff.

barcelonista1981 repped this.
  19. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It's simple, We have to win on Tuesday!

20. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    exelente partido que se pegaron, mis respetos

21. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Some people here are over reacting and are criticizing just to criticize. I suggest watching the game again to some of you.

Ecuador played a great game and Rueda did an awesome job. YES, I said it...he did a great job tatically, even with his idea of placing Enner as a starter. Whoever thinks Enner did a bad job, you're tripping. Before the game, I would have not voted in Enner Valencia at all, but his presence up front alternating with Montero as a false 9 was a clever idea Rueda came up with which caused some danger earlier in the game before Achilier got carded and kept them busy numerous times when ecuador was left with 10 men.

Im watching BeIN Sport as we speak and even they say if the foul on Valencia wasn't a red, then how was the foul Achilier commited a red? There was much more contact in the foul committed against Valencia compared to the one Achilier commited on Teofilo. Just saying. I think a yellow was fair game, BUT i'd be ok with the ref giving Achilier a red if he had done the same when a similar (even more drastic per say) foul was committed against Valencia. That to me is FAIR PLAY....but let's forget the card for a minute.

Who had control of the game? And by control I mean, who knew how to manage the rival better given the circumstances? I think some of you haven't asked yourselves that. Keep in mind, Ecuador is the visitor and the majority of the pressure is on Colombia. Did you guys see an aggressive Colombia today? I didn't. But it's not because they suck (they're one of the best teams in the world), it's because the visiting team controlled them extremely well. Rueda gets praise from me when he deserves it and he gets bashed when he does something wrong. I won't sugar coat him. Today, he didn't do anything wrong. This was possibly the smartest and best away game he played given that he didn't have the best defense or two of his starting strikers. Everything, and i mean everything he planned was correctly thought out.

The penalty is not Rueda's fault for some of you that want to blame that on him too. And just because Walter Ayovi missed it doesn't mean he had the worst game. I think everyone had a great game with the exception of Paredes who lost possession many times and was the weakest point in the game. He did have some dangerous advances but they weren't so productive the majority of the time.

Castillo sucks I'm hearing? LOL you mean the guy that was stealing balls like crazy and bodying out the colombian attack in the mid? Castillo had a good game, i don't see where he committed errors that cost us at all. Some of you want Castillo to be a bullet, but he's not a winger he's a defensive mid. He played even better when Ecuador had 10 men. I'll agree Castillo has games where he screws up but this one was FAR from that. He screwed up in Quito vs. Argentina when we got scored on....matter of fact that goal was all his fault IMO for leaving that huge gap in the mid but to say he sucked today is just straight blasphemy.

Valencia was the best player we had on the pitch. Jesus christ, he played as everything. Center mid, right wing, striker. Just comes to show how complete he is and why he plays in one of the best club teams in the world.

Mendez was extremely vital in the first half for keeping possession and helping ecuador advance intelligently up the field. If there's one move i know Rueda did not want to do, it was sacrificing Mendez in the second half, but he had to. There was no way out of it. Had we played with 11 the entire game Mendez would have been an extremely important player for us.

All in all, I gotta give it up to Rueda. Played an extremely smart game. Things aren't always going to end up great and the moment our defense is going through in the campeonato reflects what we are suffering from on the pitch in the NT. Achilier is the player that has the most reds in the campeonato if im not mistaken. I heard that being mentioned by one of the commentators while I was watching the game. Honestly, Achilier is not a bad player he's just going through a horrible moment at club level just like JC Paredes is. A year ago, all of you would not have been commenting negatively on these guys and I can assure you that. Like they say, el futbol es de momentos and it's obvious they aren't going through a good one which is worrying. And this is where i'll bash Rueda a little bit, and it's something I've been saying for a while.....Why is he not including new defenders in the line up? Gabriel Corozo is the only one. Where's the rest. I can name 3-4 defenders in the campeonato that are having a great season since the beginning of the year, yet they have not received a call up yet. I think this is where Rueda has failed and needs to improve. Message to Rueda: don't forget Ecuador needs to defend too, not only attack...start including young defenders that are performing well in the campeonato into this squad. I'm not saying that they need to necessarily start on the NT, but they need to live this experience and start adjusting now rather than later.

mac-0n3 repped this.
  22. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    you want 5th place? LOL if anything you should have been rooting for Peru to win to get Uruguay farther from us. The game vs. uruguay in Quito is going to be hell now that they defeated Peru and have 19 pts. That was a Horrible wish

23. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Not gonna lie, even Guagua played well today. I'm surprised I'm even saying that. I don't agree with you on Banguera though, he had like 2 or 3 saves that saved our asses bro. He had Falcao angry if anything. And as far as Walter Ayovi....he wasn't always a left back. He used to be a left winger and even play as a center attacking mid back in the days so i don't really see it as a defender taking a penalty. I do remember seeing his face and he was nervous as sh*t when he was about to shoot. I think this was more for Cristian Noboa. I don't know why but i've never seen Walter as having as much confidence in himself as someone like Mendez, Ulises, Reasco, Kaviedes, etc. Most of the "historicos" were real leaders with confidence and balls. I feel like those decisive moments are for a player who is confident in what he can do and doesn't let the pressure eat him up. To me Noboa is that guy. Unfortunately Mendez wasn't on the field or else he would have taken it without question.

24. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I honestly don't know if you're trolling or if you're serious.

Stupid coach? lol and a waste of time rooting for Ecuador?

^ those were the highlights of my day

My question is what did Rueda do incorrectly....i'd really like to know. And if Ecuador is a waste of time rooting for just b/c they don't win any international cups, then i know you've been a fan of Liga de Quito since 2008 lol

lav92 repped this.
  25. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    my line up vs. Bolivia:

Return to a 4-4-2

Banguera; Paredes/Valencia, Guagua, Erazo, W. Ayovi; Valencia/Ibarra, Castillo, Noboa, Montero; J. Ayovi, F. Caicedo

Paredes as right back w/ Antonio as a wing or Antonio as a right back and Ibarra as the wing.

IMO Ener won't adapt well as a striker in the 4-4-2 system like he did today with the 4-2-3-1 ecuador began with....we could give it a try in a friendly game, but i don't think we should do that on Tuesday b/c we HAVE to win. Guerron, Ibarra, and Mendez should definitely be players to keep in mind for the second half. I'd even consider Corozo for the last 20 mins if we are up by 3 goals and take Erazo, Noboa, and Antonio out so they don't risk getting another yellow or else we will be missing keys players vs. Uruguay in Quito. They gotta be impeccable on Tuesday. 0 Fouls.