Ecuador v. Honduras - World Cup 2014 - Group E - Curitiba, Brasil

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by Manolo, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Kr0nika R0ja

Kr0nika R0ja Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Big Apple
    Club:
    Deportivo Cuenca
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Man, what a panic-inducing game. I'm thankful for Enner now. 7 Goals in 12 Matches for the NT. with these 3 goals he's a top scorer with the likes of Benzema, van Persie, Robben and Muller. Pretty crazy, 1 year ago I don't think I would have been saying good thing we have Enner in the squad. I wasn't a believer but, I gotta say Enner has changed that..

Primitive Ways repped this.
  2. Kr0nika R0ja

Kr0nika R0ja Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Big Apple
    Club:
    Deportivo Cuenca
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Bro, u read my mind, and I gave u the list in the post above xD

3. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Minda proved today that he is the best 5 we have whether you clown him or not. He didn't commit errors like Gruezo. When will some of you understand that it does not freakin matter where someone plays, it matters what they do on the field? Minda usually is garbage and a very mediocre player, but somehow he pulled off a decent game and was even capable of moving back and playing as a center back and creating a line of 3 for ecuador at moments which is what Rueda went for. That's why Antonio moved into play towards the center at moments and Paredes played as a carrilero. When Ecuador defended it became a line of 5. I have no idea where Rueda pulled this off his ass but it worked out for him even though I think Ecuador was some garbage overall.

Today Minda proved that experience wins over promising talent in a big tournament.

4. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I'd love to see Enner in a team like Arsenal.

5. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Yes. I did say Minda did good at defending. Who also did good was Paredes I'm the second half. Didn't like him in the first because he always just clears the ball instead of doing intelligent passes. In the second half I think he might have had more freedom which allowed him to attack more. Other than that I didn't like the game. We should be goleando Honduras. This was a mediocre game. Good thing anything can happen in the World Cup. Can we please get the Costa Rica coach?! Lol.

b9d23m89 repped this.
  6. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Wow I'm seeing ads of Nike featuring E.Valencia in twitter. Nike must be sponsoring Enner now. Nice!

7. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    He almost relegated el Nacional a couple years ago.

8. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I didn't know that. What ever Costa Rica coach did to learn how a modern futbol is played should be passed on to Rueda.
    As I just read a perfect comment... Rueda plays in a old style of futbol of the 90s. Where they wait for the ball to come to them. Where to two Defensive Mids wait two yard away from the CB behind them to press for the ball when it comes to them. This is not how the modern game of futbol is played anymore. From Chile to Costa Rica have figured out how to play the modern game. Where the attacking front is the first line of defense. They are the one who puts pressure up top relentlessly. This helps the CB look better than they are because they get help from up top. This game, just as the last one, we just waited once again after going up a goal. Rueda took out almost all the forwards and put everyone to defend pretty much. They waited for the ball 30 minutes before it was even over. In top of that Ecuador has no technique at all. They look like they just came to play from the streets. The mids can't seem to link more than two passes together. All we do is kick the ball away as far as possible. Or hope that Enner wins the ball from a long kick. There is no creativity. No pressure. No passing. No real modern futbol at all from Ecuador. Rueda is a horrible coach... I mean he is just a piece of crap. All I'm thankful is for Enner coming up and cleaning up the mess. Dude deserves to play in Europe.

9. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I remember saying before he started his season in Pachuca that he's on his way up. At that point i didn't think he'd become the prolific goal scorer he is right now, but I did know he was going to be "that guy" up front. I told you guys Felipe was on a decline while the ecuadorian media was trying to find the "ideal partner" for him when I pointed out that he was going to be lucky if he starts. The only reason Felipe starts today is b/c we don't have anyone else. Had Marlon De Jesus not suffered that injury in Monterrey and had his racha interrupted, he would've benched Felipe.

Enner is a level above the rest and that's truth. Not even Tin Delgado would carry a team like he does. He's an animal with the finishing.

10. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    he just tied Tin Delgado w/ that second goal.

11. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    true story. the el nacional fans hated him and let me just say the players weren't too fond either b/c con el es a la brava lol

12. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    #62 b9d23m89, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    Oswaldo minda, Hormiga, and Enner were playing a game of their own today. They held it down for us, but most of all Enner. He's a monster of a player and the craziest thing is what I've been saying....we don't even know what this kids limit or ceiling will be. He's still young and only getting better. The crazy thing is he isn't even a real 9. Just insane to see a player like that.

Guagua screwed us over in that goal. That was just embarrassing how he couldn't clear a freaking ball that was coming straight to him. Ridiculous to say the least. And i'll say this- after this WC I'd rather start thinking about who will replace Noboa. Truth is we need to transform our formation and style of playing and I don't see Noboa in that picture for too long. We need someone w/ better ball control and with more speed both mentally and physically.

Cevallos Jr. PLEASE freakin kill it in Liga this semester we need you!

And as far as Rueda, I'm glad he played Minda over Gruezo. Minda defensively killed it. When we got scored on our national team would play Guagua-Minda-Erazo in a line of 3 at the back which was interesting. This is the main reason I've been saying- it's time for a change. I can only imagine what el Paton Bauza would do for us. When we back a line of 3 at the back Ecuador went all in for the attack at the end of the first half and we even held that same system in the second half where we'd transform to a line of 3 at times and when we'd defend we'd become a line of 5. At least at the end of the second half that line of 5 made it impossible for Honduras to break us.

13. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Ahhhh now I know why Paredes had a good game! As you said the defensive line of 3 did help us a lot because it freed up Paredes. No wonder he played well today because he didn't have to fall back to defend as much. This gives him the freedom to attack without much worry and when he defends he has help too. Great point! What happened to A. Valencia though? He was invicible throughout the whole game except for that center which Enner scored but it didn't count. (Actually Valenca should've of shot it). Anyways, this lineup should have freed A. Valencia too. Was he covered the whole time by multiple people? Or is his level declined that much to struggle against Honduras?

14. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    The thing is Paredes is more of a carrilero than a right back. He fits perfectly into that role. If anyone remembers hormiga Paredes in Deportivo Quito, it was him and Pedro Velasco on the right. He would usually play ahead of Velasco but he also had numeros games where he played as a carrilero and he was absolutely a beast at it. That good Copa Libertadores D.Quito had a few years back w/ Fidel Martinez in it. The problem with Antonio is that Rueda has him worried about defending a lot. He's not using Antonio like he should. Don't you guys notice the change in tactics Rueda has suddenly made in this world cup during this game? It demonstrates he's so confused about what the hell he's doing. Since when has Ecuador played a line of 3 or 5? Yet Rueda said screw it and tried it out this game as if it were a friendly game where we could experiment....thank God it worked for him lol. But it shows you how confused he is. And did you see all the defensive moves he made? Took out Felipe, put in Mendez. Took out Montero and put in Achilier. And then someone else came out for Gruezo...think it was Minda. Lol this man was shook against Honduras. I can only imagine what other experiments he'll pull out his ass against France.

15. LongLiveThe80's

Manchester United
    Jun 8, 2006
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey man WE WON!!!!! And tonight we go to bed in 2nd place. Ecuador still didn't play to their full potential, but something tells me we'll be due against France. Keep the faith fellas! We got this!

16. scarface234

scarface234 Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't get why he hasn't played Arroyo or Martinez, that's freakin ridiculous, I could see them contributing so much to our offense.

Manolo repped this.
  17. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    You mean attacking players that are good with the ball? Haha...wishful thinking!! This is Rueda ball we are playing. We also have Renato Ibarra who will be left on the bench until Antonio Valencia is 40 years old.

18. scarface234

scarface234 Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm really disappointed I was looking forward to this World CUp to watching Arroyo and Fidel Martinez getting playing time so that they could show who they are. Martinez seems like he isn't going to be playing anytime soon this World Cup and seeing as Arroyo wasn't even subbed yesterday I see the same for him.

19. scarface234

scarface234 Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Caicedo should be relegated to the bench imo, Arroyo should take his spot, I don't understand why he isn't given more than 30 minutes in the World CUp.

20. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    A few thoughts from last night:

1. Dominguez was safe and solid when needed. Still shaky on crosses but good positioning overall.

2. Montero and Valencia HUGE disappointments. We will need a lot more from them for any hope against France.

3. Minda did his job.

4. The goal was not so much Guagua's fault but it was a breakdown between him and Erazo. He lost the header but there was nobody behind him!! The CBs need to be supporting each other on all occasions, and there was a major lapse there.

5. We need to seriously consider starting someone else in place of Felipao. I think he slows us down and he does not pose a threat any more. His time with the NT is coming to an end. I would make it yesterday and give Arroyo a chance to redeem himself for being unfairly abused this past week.

21. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I agree. The way Felipe is playing, I'm telling you he's going to end up in Aucas. Those injuries screw him over and if he doesn't recover his form fully in this next year from now until Copa America, he won't be on this NT any longer. Right now the position will be up for grabs once this WC is over. Enner needs an ideal parter. Hopefully Marlon and Cristian Penilla have a great second half of the year.
    I believe people were really unfair to Michael Arroyo too. Yeah he failed that shot, but in 20 mins he had 2 opportunities with a free kick and that missed shot. More chances than Caicedo had in 70 minutes. I don't know what Rueda is waiting for. Michael and Fidel have way more futbol to offer at the moment than Felipe.

What do you guys think about the line up vs. France? Any changes to be made besides Arroyo for Caicedo?

22. ceejay187

ceejay187 Member

Mar 30, 2005
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Hellz yeah!!

23. Emelectric15

Emelectric15 Member

Emelec, LA Galaxy
    Ecuador
    Mar 13, 2005
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    #73 Emelectric15, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    We need speed in the midfield and to me Noboa had a solid performance but he looks fatigued... I would like Rueda to finally take the chance and play Valencia in the middle with Gruezo. Valencia moved to a more central role after the Honduras goal and you could see an immediate change in our play it opened up space for paredes to make that cross. We need to do something different for France we need to surprise them. Teams already know we play down the wings need to switch it up. I would go with this.

----------Dominguez
    Paredes----Minda---Erazo----Ayovi
    Montero---Valencia---Gruezo---Arroyo
    -------------Enner------Caicedo

* I don't know if you guys noticed but Montero switched to the right at times against Honduras and did well. No point in playing him on the left since he almost never creates anything going to the middle on his strong foot. Why not put him on the right With Valencia pushing up in a more central role it would open up more space for Montero down the right.

We need Arroyo for free kicks and to shoot from outside give him a chance to redeem himself.

24. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Agree with this lineup except Caicedo. I actually wouldn't start him. I would actually start Martinez up front. He links up really well with Enner because he actually knows how to pass accurately! He holds the ball well too to open up spaces and he is illusive. That is how we were able to come back from losing 3-0 against Australia. Caicedo hasn't done anything at all along with Naboa. Both IMO have being the most disappointing performances yet. Watch if for some miracle Rueda starts Martinez along side Enner they will do good stuff up front. Martinez plays better as a forward than a wing.

25. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Oh and Martinez has actually scored for the NT too. Specially one was recently disallowed but it was an actually goal.