EC qualifier #1: Lithuania vs Germany, 9/7 (R)

Discussion in 'Germany' started by olafgb, Aug 29, 2002.

1. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Rudi Völler announced the team for the first qualifier next week Saturday in Kaunas/Lithuania:

Goal: Kahn, Lehmann
    Defence: Baumann, Hertzsch, Kehl, Linke, Metzelder, Ramelow, Ziege
    Midfield: Ballack, Böhme, Frings, Hamann, Jeremies, Schneider
    Offence: Asamoah, Jancker, Klose, Neuville, Zickler.

2. Brihodge

Brihodge New Member

Apr 27, 2001
    Unterwegs
    Wow, practically the WC squad, guess the younger guys didn't impress much in the last friendly.

3. KarlMai

KarlMai Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Witzenhausen/Germany
    Club:
    FF USV Jena
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You're right, Brihodge, but... on the other hand that's really great, because if they had really impressed, who should have played for the "Team 2006"? ;)

(thinking if I should post an own thread for this team's match, or just include it here...hm)

4. The lineup is not that surprising given that this is the very beginning of qualifiers. Rudi won't want to take big risks in actual qualifiers until Germany has a solid lead.

Linke is the surprise to me. I guess I just under-rate him.

Also, I thought that Deisler was healthy, but have not seen him in recent Bayern lineups and he is not listed below.

5. wolfsburgh

wolfsburgh Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I believe that Deisler is still recuperating and is not expected to play for Bayern until after the winter break (and therefore would not likely be selected for NT games for some time after that).

6. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Linke is something like a standby national player. He's just coming in important emergency cases. Regarding Deisler read wolfsburgh's comment.

The only ones I'm complaining about are Hertzsch (no international standard, even Friedrich with 3 BL games is better), Jancker (no season game/no shape yet), Zickler (no regular player) and Asamoah (no shape/used as defender in Schalke).

7. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Let's do it here ;)
    The squad for the game against Turkey B (9-6)

Goal: Timo Hildebrand (VfB Stuttgart), Roman Weidenfeller (Borussia Dortmund
    Defence: Frank Fahrenhorst (VfL Bochum), Arne Friedrich (Hertha BSC Berlin), Benjamin Lense (Arminia Bielefeld), Martin Meichelbeck (VfL Bochum), Timo Wenzel (VfB Stuttgart)
    Midfield: Tim Borowski, Fabian Ernst (beide Werder Bremen), Peer Kluge, Bernd Korzynietz (beide Borussia Mönchengladbach), Markus Kreuz (1. FC Köln), Sebastian Schindzielorz (VfL Bochum)
    Offence: Daniel Bierofka (Bayer Leverkusen), Markus Daun (Werder Bremen), Paul Freier (VfL Bochum), Marco Vorbeck (Hansa Rostock), Clemens Fritz (Karlsruher SC)

Projekt 04/06, Projekt 04/06, Prooooooojeeeeekt nuuuuulll-vierrrrrr/nuuuullllll-säääääächssssssss

8. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    So, your opinion on the hot yesterday issues:

- which players of Viktoria Köln make it to the 2006 roster?
    - who was having sex with Claudia Strunz-Effenberg on the tribune while her husband was playing?

:)

9. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    1.: Viktoria's Jancker. Or one of Ratingen's players(Viktoria didn't impress me much).

2.: They are married ? I don't think that it was Matthäus. Maybe Peter Pander ?

10. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Well, actually the whole level seemed to be quite low in this game.

No, they aren't married. Pander is a good guess - something like the Geenen/Angela Häßler combination, huh? I didn't expect that Wolfsburg is caring that much for Effenberg that they even entertain the girlfriend during the game :)

11. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Ziege is out for the Lithuania game as his mother died. On Monday Rudi will decide whether nominating somebody else.

12. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Little Lithuania introduction by ex-pro Valdas Ivanauskas:

SOCCER IN LITHUANIA:
    The first division has ten teams. The level is about German 3rd division. An important reason is that that anyone who's causing a little attention is bought by foreign clubs. FBK Kaunas, Zalgiris Vilnius and Atlantis Klaipeda are the three dominating clubs.

NATIONAL TEAM:
    Nobody really thinks that the national team could be a serious rival for Germany or Scotland. We've got to compete with Iceland and Faroe Islands, with a little bit of luck we can surprise a little. The recent 2-4 loss vs Israel proved insecurities in the defence.

STARS:
    We don't have stars. The best one is forward Jankauskas - he is at least regular starter at former European cup winner FC Porto. He and forward colleague Poskus are causing the biggest hopes.

PERSPECTIVES:
    In the last decade a lot went wrong. The old officials missed to care for the youth. Because of lacking support, many of the biggest talents went away.

No game against Germany yet.

13. fuxer

fuxer New Member

Feb 5, 2000
  14. Basti

Basti New Member

May 9, 2002
    WHY WHY WHYYYYYY is Ramelow in defense!!

15. Mehr

Mehr New Member

Mar 14, 2002
    Los Angeles
    "WHY WHY WHYYYYYY is Ramelow in defense!!"

Good Question! Why doesnt Voller put Kehl in there??? He was there against paraguay and he looked pretty solid. Paraguay is definitely better than Lithuania, so why not??? Even Jeremies would be better.

16. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Despite of what the officials in Leverkusen say, I still think that Ramelow is one of the weak points in Bayer's line up. Nevertheless he played an outstanding WC final as defence organiser, which doesn't make it look completely stupid to name him for this position. Kehl had one good half against Paraguay and one awful half against the USA (kicker rating 5 or 5.5 I think), he isn't playing this position in the team, so why should Völler risk a change with him? Jeremies is in current good shape, but when has he played defence organiser for the last time? He's defensive mid since years and he's mainly living of his power and not the tactical skills, so he'd be a risk on this position as well.

I mean, Nowotny is the only one on international level who is used to play this position, but we won't see him back this year. Until Ramelow doesn't do something really bad in the national team, there is no reason to change this position - as you correctly said "it is only Lithuania", so why bothering? The main question for me is whether it was really necessary to get Linke back for this game, it would have been a good chance for Baumann or Friedrich to prove themselves in an easy international competition game.

THE EXPECTED LINEUP:

Kahn - Metzelder, Ramelow, Linke - Böhme, Ballack, Hamann, Frings, Schneider - Klose, Jancker

17. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    The lineup was the one being expected before. Substitutions in the game: Neuville for Jancker (69), Jeremies for Schneider (86).

Germany won 2-0 [1-0 Ballack (27. Schneider), 2-0 Stankevicius (59.own goal)].

The game was rather mediocre. Germany never really was endangered to lose, though the own goal exactly was in a moment where you could not expect a German goal. This game hardly was able to amaze someone, but with better strikers a higher victory would have been possible.

18. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    SoccerNet

19. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    SoccerAge