EC 2008 in Zurich - A Solution is on the Horizon

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by Nico Limmat, Nov 9, 2004.

1. EnglishHoppersfan

EnglishHoppersfan New Member

Nov 24, 2003
    UK
    Yes, I know what you mean but I suppose it also demonstrates how the balance of power has shifted - but it'll only be temporary!!!

I almost forgot, there will be at least one new GC fan if I have my way, as I am expecting a baby in June - well, not me obviously, but you catch my drift! :D

2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Well, Congratulations!! :)

Make sure to get the kid one of these...haha

[​IMG]

3. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats, and welcome back.

4. EnglishHoppersfan

Nov 24, 2003
    UK

Cheers fellas!

I wanted to call it "Zuberbuhler Vega Sforza Yakin Gamperle Hermann Kozle De Vicente Elber Bickel Sutter" after the team that knocked Sporting Lisbon out of the Uefa Cup in 1992 but the wife is putting her foot down!!! :D

5. EnglishHoppersfan

Nov 24, 2003
    UK
    Yes - I've got one on order!

6. FCBasel1893

FCBasel1893 New Member

May 7, 2003
    Basel, Switzerland
    Poor kid! :D

Anyway, congratulations!

7. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Sorry for my ignorance. But what the hell is happeing with the situation at the Hardturm? What were these oppositions about? The ground is really awful, its been badly neglected imo.

I would hazard a guess that you couldn't rebuild it, given where it is located.

I feel sorry for GCZ fans. They badly need a decent ground. And the news that they won't be able to build or refurbish by 2008 is a kick in the teeth.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/050128/15/sssp.html

8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Long story short, the residents of the area and the green party really hate the dimensions of the new Hardturm and especially the shopping center beneath it (and the increased traffic it causes.) The legal battles were taken all the way to the Swiss Supreme Court who finally decided in favor of the investors in december. The last legal hurdle is now obtaining the construction permit. During the whole court circus the city decided to push forward the construction of the new Letzigrund in order to save Zurich as a 2008 host city. The Letzigrund however still has to pass a public vote and is still at the beginning of the entire legal process. If one single person doesn't like the new Letzigrund, you can say goodbye to that project...

Regardless of that article you posted, the last word hasn't been spoken yet. If we can obtain that construction permit soon I think that everything possible will be done to get the new Hardturm done in time.
    Now, now...I have seen much worse. But yes, it is outdated.

9. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Thanks for your reply. But surely it would make more sense to create an out of town ground somewhere outside Zurich. But I would I be right in the high land prices in Switzerland plus the lack of available space to build on.

From my personal experience of Swiss Legal processes, the system is full of red-tape and objections by some form or other.

As for the Hardturm, it looks very poor especially for a team so prestigous such as Grasshopper. My friend (A Leeds Fan) went in 2000ish and said he was suprised by how poor the ground was. Comparing it to a English second divison stadium. Its about time they had a decent ground to play in.

10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Not really. An out of town ground would require a whole lot of parking and when the Green Party hears the word "parking", they are all over you like a pack of wolves. The new Hardturm will only have 1,200 parking spaces (and you saw the legal circus about those.) Public transportation is very important and the new Hardturm will have excellent connections to train and tram. Besides, it's not like we're smack in the middle of a huge neighborhood. The majority of the area is industrial and commercial in nature.
    Comparing it to England isn't really fair in my opinion. Like I said, it is outdated, but compared to other stadia of other small countries it is still a pretty decent stadium. FC Aarau for example has to play here:

http://www.stadionwelt.de/stadionwe...glifeld&foto_ordner=Schweiz/bruegglifeld&id=6

11. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Yeah, Brugglifeld, is pretty crappy. I used to love, Servette's old ground though, the new stadium is just too modern. :(

I just can't seem to grasp why they are objecting. If it is out of the way and not taking up space and is offering people other services beside sport. But as you said, it is down to traffic. Ugh, damn your silly laws. The thing I found was that certain EU laws that I'm used to are just laughed at here. Clean air laws.....bah.

Maybe they can go and play in Southern Germany instead? :rolleyes:

12. Zwingli

Zwingli New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    I thought I pump up this old threat. I found an interesting article in the NZZ about the stadium situation in Zurich:

http://www.nzz.ch/2005/04/09/zh/kommentarCJGD5.html

few interesting points:

-NZZ wants both projects (Letzigrund, Hardurm) to be realized a soon as possible.
    -CS believes the Hardturm could be ready for the 2008.
    -Appeals against the construction permit for the Hardturm stadium won't pose any unsolvable problems ( I hope that's true but our legal system never fails to disappoint me)

13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Thanks for the update. Sounds good, but I won't sleep well until it's final.

14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Good News

The construction permit for the Stadion Zurich has been issued. We now have to wait for 30 days and hope there is no further legal opposition if we want to get it done for 2008. The public vote for the new Letzigrund (the EC alternative) is in two weeks.

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The public said yes to the new Letzigrund today.

Whatever happens to the Stadion Zurich, the EC is now very likely to take place in Zurich.

16. EnglishHoppersfan

Nov 24, 2003
    UK
    Great news!

But what on earth will become of the Hardturm - will it ever get brought into the 21st century?

17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Well...let's see - 16 days have passed. 14 more to go (it's looking good.)

18. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Really hope that the Zürchers will step up their football interest, both FCZ and GC-fans.
    Having only 5'000 spectators at certain games is unacceptable
    Little village Sion beat them both when it comes to the crowd

19. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Me too...even if just to shut up the Zurich United proponents. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a 12,000+ average for both teams at the Stadion Zurich.

20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    It's official: the residents have started another legal circus against the construction permit. This could (once again) go all the way to the Swiss Supreme Court. I guess that settles it - the new Letzigrund will host Euro 2008. During construction FC Zurich will most likely share the Hardturm with GC.

Un - ********ing - believable

21. FCBasel1893

FCBasel1893 New Member

May 7, 2003
    Basel, Switzerland
    uhm, wasn't that clear before anyway? I think even without the legal problems it would have been too late for 2008..

22. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    No, it wasn't. The NZZ who seems to have close ties to Credit Suisse insiders always stated that if everything goes smooth they would rush to get it done in time using extra investment funds for faster construction (with special approval from UEFA.)

I personally still had hopes until today.

23. tomason

tomason New Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Israel
    they must to augment this stadium!!
    is only 30,000 seats!

Zij moeten om dit stadium te aangroeien!!
    Is slechts 30,000 zitplaatsen! (sorry about my german) :D

24. SERVETTE RIP

SERVETTE RIP New Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Sorry, but that is just hilarious... I can't believe GC and FCZ will share a stadium... All I can say is: come on FCZ!!! The true popular Zürich club... ;)

25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Pfff.... ;)

Just for the record:

Our club was established first and we are the "true" Zurich club (no matter what they say.) FCZ took advantage during the seven-year period (1909-1916) when GC quit the SFV (lack of playing field.) During that time they stole our colors (they weren't blue/white before) and branded themselves "Stadtclub."

Some proud history there. :rolleyes: