Earthquakes vs. America at Candlestick Park (9/18/02) PRE-GAME thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by ThreeApples, Aug 23, 2002.

1. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earthquakes vs. America at Candlestick Park

press release:

San Jose Earthquakes to Battle Club America on Wednesday, September 18 at 3COM Park

Match Between American and Mexican Champions to Kick Off at 8:00 p.m. PT

San Jose (Friday, August 23, 2002) - International Sports Marketing Connection and the San Jose Earthquakes announced today that the team will play an international match on Wednesday, September 18 against one of Mexico's most storied teams Club America. The match between the defending champions of the United States and Mexico will kick off at 8:00 p.m. PT from 3COM Park. The game will mark the first meeting between the two teams in their history and will be the Earthquakes first-ever appearance at 3COM Park.

Club America is the reigning Mexican champion after winning the Torneo Verano by defeating Necaxa in the finals. The team, which will feature World Cup star Cuauhtemoc Blanco, Chilean superstar Ivan Zamorano, and Mexican World Cup team member German Villa, has had a strong start in the current Apertura 2002 with two victories, including a 1-0 win over rival Chivas Rayadas de Guadalajara. In their history, the club has won 13 Mexican championships. Club America last played in the Bay Area on August 29, 2001 as part of the Copa Sears, when it played to a 1-1 tie with Atlas at a sold-out Spartan Stadium.

The September 18 game will be the fifth international match of the season for the Earthquakes, who participated this year in the Football Confederation Champions Cup. The Quakes defeated Club Olimpia of Honduras on March 13 (1-0) and March 16 (3-1) and then split games with Mexican club Pachuca CF on April 17 (3-0 loss) and April 24 (1-0 win).

International Sports Marketing Connection is marketing the game and fans can purchase tickets through Tickets.com only beginning on Saturday, August 24 at 10:00 a.m. PT. Ticket prices are $25, $35, and $45, and to purchase tickets, fans can log on to Tickets.com or visit any Tickets.com outlet, including Mollie Stone's, Raley's and Nob Hill Foods or any Giants Dug Out Store. Tickets may also be purchased by calling Tickets.com at 408-998-2277 or 415-478-2277.

2. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca

this should have been Season Ticket Holder Game B......but I guess the Quakes are not "hosting" the match......

Go Quakes!!

3. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Uh oh..

3 days before the 'Galaxy game..
    Right in the middle of the playoff race..

I dont like it :( :(

4. RUBY223

RUBY223 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Sunnyvale

ooooh...road trip! As long as this team isn't a bunch of diving hacks like the last Mexican team, I'll go watch.

5. Red Raider

Red Raider New Member

Feb 4, 2000
    Great opportunity, but we better clinch home field advantage before playing the last game against LA.

6. Brad May

Brad May New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    How curious that the Quakes (co-owned* by Phil Anschutz) would play a friendly with a Mexican team which will no doubt generate a lot of cash for MLS (biggest investor, Phil Anschutz) only three days before the final regular season game against Los Angeles (owned* by Phil Anschutz) which may determine the Supporter's Shield winner and home field advantage for the playoffs.

A good argument for more investors and no SEM? Even if it's not, it looks like a money grab at the expense of MLS integrity. Yes, we better have home field advantage locked up before the 9/21 game.

7. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any plans for the gang to set up?

And a chance to hopefully boo Hippy Hernandez again.

Don't like the scheduling of the match between the LA home and home but if it means more fans and hopefully getting a few here and there to Spartan, then why not?

Ditto if it means new investors in the league.

8. Scooper

Scooper New Member

Feb 14, 2001
    N.Y.
    Just Enjoy IT!---GEEZ!

Hey guys! Quit looking so deeply into this. This isn't an Anchustz team thing...this is just a game that happens to bring A LOT of money into the Quakes pockets just for showing up. God knows they need it! It is completley risk free...the Earthquakes have nothing to do with the game other than playing in it...they can't possibly lose any money....and the fact that it is before the Galaxy game, well suck it up! this is a chance to measuer the Quakes vs. Mexico's best.
    Home-field will easily be clinched by then anyways.
    I bet Frank only plays the big boys in the first half anyways.

9. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Money - and attention - grabbing game.

Certainly not needed as far as MLS season is concerned and could adversely effect final game and Supporters Shield outcome.

Could be a great game - battle of two heavyweights of MLS and MFL.

10. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Just Enjoy IT!---GEEZ!

Unless we get a bunch of injuries. Remember when Tim Weaver got his leg broken in an international "friendly"?

11. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a friendly so just to appease the fans, the stars will play the first half and then be subbed out.

Nothing more than a showcase. I don't like that it's scheduled before the end of the season, but again if it means reeling in fans that could possibly check out American soccer then the event's investment will pay off.

Also be a good barometer to see how the MLS best stacks up against the MFL best though with these types of games it's subject to debate.

In a club tournament where it really matters it's another story.

Same with the USA-Mexico. Friendlies only increases the "what if/well?" debate/excuse. Qualifiers are one thing, but if they meet in the World Cup tournament, well, that's the measuring stick there.

(for the record, that should have been the "B" ticket.)

Cheers!

12. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is a good move for MLS and the Quakes. Bring a lot of recognition from Mexican fans (and money)--Club America is the big one in Mexico, sort of the ManU or NY Yankees of Mexico, at least from the fact that they are the ones backed by the big bucks. And if the Quakes kick-ass on Cuahtemoc and Luis Flop'n'Drop, so much the better. It may also draw a lot of Chivas fans for the Quakes, Chivas people hate Club America with an undying passion. :)

13. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca

I say let Ibsen man-mark Blanco....and watch the studs fly! (minus the pun)

14. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    This sucks all the way around! The fact that this game is three days before the galaxative match and will be a drain on our teams energy, sucks green donkey balls! Can you say Kraft repeat? This smells to high heaven, can you say prop up the galaxatives at our expense? Do they have to play an international match between our two games? Nope. This game is useless, let's hope frank starts the trainers and the ballboys and leaves the first line off the pitch.

15. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001

Frank'll start himself, man-mark Blanco and Luis, and they'll be silent for the rest of the match.

Sean

16. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do I get the feeling that our friends over at the Mercury News are poppin' wood at the chance to get more Mexican soccer in the paper, and in the process take a few digs at MLS? Will this meaningless game get more pub in the Merc than any other Quakes game this season? anybody else feel this way?

17. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Merc covers this game more than they would the home and home series against Los Angeles, the editor of that paper and their sports department needs to have their priorities examined.

Next, they would consider WWE results as "sport".

Cheers!

18. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca

for those of you complaining about the timing, the Quakes will have clinched by that time....

jeez, have a little faith....

:D

Go Quakes!

19. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thing stinks!!!

First off, I'm not going to San Francisco to watch the San Jose Earthquakes on a Wednesday night. I simply can't. Especially not that day. So this will be the first Quakes game I have missed since the pre-season game against the Galaxy. Sucketh!

Second, if this game is supposed to get more fans out to the games, that's ridiculous! There are plenty of fans closer to San Jose. These are the fans we need to work on attracting. They are the ones that will be more likely to come to more of the games at Spartan.

Third, as has been mentioned, the timing freakin sucks. Of course, we're all worried about home field and all that. But I don't care if we do have the shield wrapped up, it's freakin LA!!!! I could care less if we are spanking their butts way ahead in first place in the league. It's LA. I will not stand for losing to them again at home.

Fourth, this is just one more in a long line of friendlies that is catering to a certain fan base. Once again, I'm left out. I should be used to it by now. But I'm just getting sick of it. When are the Quakes gonna play a team that I actually care about. If this was a team I actually wanted to see, I'd be there in a heartbeat. But, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who want to see this. So to each their own.

Fifth, this will probably be the game that sees Lucci, Devin, Chris, maybe even Scoot get some real time. And it could be the only game that sees them get time. And I won't be able to see it. I've been dying to see these guys play in a real game!! Major sucketh!!

It just sucks!!

20. jose8lo

jose8lo BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 9, 2002
    washington

I agree with everyone that is not pleased with the timing of the game,that's in between the home and home with the scum(L.A).why couldn't they have this game after the season?I have watch America club play a lot and they hack a lot so I don't like this at all.I say unless we have already clinch home field advantage throughout the playoffs play that game with all the reserves,is just not worth risking injury for this useless game. go Quakes!

21. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA

TOTALLY agree...this is AWFUL timing!! I'm all for the team getting exposure and I love the idea of this game in SF at Pac Bell but NOT 3 days before a critical game against a division rival that will be pressing us for home field throughout the playoffs.

Someone gets hurt in a "friendly" against a team we will never see again--no time to recover for the playoffs, unless the whole "B" team is going to play. I REALLY hate the timing of this...and who is going to pay to see the "B" team?

No...no...NO!!! I was just feeling good again on the heels of the Dallas spanking. Why can't we stand prosperity?

22. sevana

sevana New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Oakland, CALI

i dont like this either

23. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i would assume the premise of this game, from the quakes/MLS point of view, is to showcase the team against a quality mexican team hoping that mexican fans will attend and say 'Hey, that Quakes team is good! I'm gonna be a HUGE MLS fan from now on!!' sooooo .....
    a) will the Quakes be forced, pressured, encouraged (choose your term) to play their first teamers? or
    b) will the Quakes play the young ones, get beat by a more veteran team and in effect turn off the same mexican fans they are courting? could it hurt MLS's image among the mexican/hispanic community if the quakes play their young players and lose?
    Let's face it the Quakes/MLS want to latch onto the mexican/hispanic fans and you have a better chance of doing that with Landon Donovan than Devon Barclay.

24. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if they stars play just the first half, just something to reel them in.

Like I've always mentioned about friendlies--they are not a true barometer as to how teams stack against each other, but it does make for good soccer entertainment.

After the US defeated Mexico in the World Cup Round of 16, this should fuel the debate for a World Club Cup where these two teams can meet where the stakes are high.

Since I expect the Mexican fans to grab a good deal of the seats, we should try to get something lower bowl where we can be close to the action.

It's really akin to holding a game at the Masoleum in LA--out of reach for the regular Quakes fans, but suited for the America supporters.

25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I'd rather the game have been at Pac Bell than where it's actually going to be played - 3Com Park at Candlestick Point. And the former is so much easier to get to from the South Bay (i.e. Amtrak) than the latter. :(

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G