Earthquakes to break ground on new training complex

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by athletics68, Jan 27, 2010.

1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here here!!

Amway rocks! They are helping to pay the bills, so I love them.

Training site is first step. It should help with practice this season. It should help the guys train more consistently. Hopefully, it helps make the team better. But it needs locker rooms, weight room, video room, and a cool lunch place. That's what I'm talking about!!

Go Quakes!! :D

- Mark

2. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is:
    A) A philosophical dilemma to ponder.

B) Life after Drugs

C) Earthquakes midfield.

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    You have a point there, but since everyone knows that "Amway" belongs in front of "Global", I think we can just skip "Amway" since it's implied / redundant. :) Not sure they'll buy that, but worth a try.

4. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Visited Airport West late this morning. Took three photos, a red, green and blue from the locations indicated in this image. The stadium is the blue area, the practice field is the green area. It was right up against, and parallel to, the railroad fence.

[​IMG]

There was work underway at the practice field. They had pulled out the concrete and were removing the top layer of dirt. The area was only the size of a soccer field, maybe not even 115x75.

5. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red photo - This is looking toward the direction of the stadium.
    [​IMG]

Blue photo - looking down the fence line from a coroner of the practice field.
    [​IMG]

Green photo - A view of the practice field from directly behind the goal.
    [​IMG]

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very cool. Thanks for the pics FUAEG. It's not much... but it's a start.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thought it would be farther away from the runway. Oh well I doubt there will be that many planes coming and going during game time. What I want to know is will they plant all those ugly telephone poles underground?

8. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    b/c it's hella expensive, and they don't interfere with anything

9. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    The practice field has a coroner? Wow, Quakes are really taking this physical conditioning thing seriously this year!

But I digress. Thanks for the pics, FUAEG.

BTW, when this thing is built, how about they put a bunch of chairs around it and call it The Epicenter v0.0.1?

10. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA

The landing threshold is about halfway down the runway, so when arriving, airplanes (most approach from the south, over downtown) will not likely cause much disruption, as they touch down quite a ways north of the stadium site. If anything, they won't be any noisier than they are at Buck Shaw Stadium (if the wind is right, landing planes make a lot of noise at Buck Shaw). At the new stadium site, departing planes will be loud, as they begin their take off roll out directly across Coleman Ave.

11. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I have experienced, plane noise has been virtually inaudible at Buck Shaw, and from the time I have spent at the Lowe's adjacent to the stadium site, it is barely noticeable with all the other usual noises in the area. I predict that with the noise in the stadium the noise from jets will be a total non-issue.

12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah as long as it's not under the flight path the noise from planes will be minimal. The new Niners stadium is going to have a much bigger issue with plane noise, particularly on any game days the planes are landing from the north.

13. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it is the takeoff noise that is worse because jets are at full throttle, and jets usually takeoff to the north (over the proposed 49er stadium site). Having spent time at the Twin Creeks softball complex which is in the vicinity of the 49er site I can tell you that the jet noise is quite noticeable.

edit:

Here is a noise contour map for the third quarter of 2009. Yo can see that the 65db contour line footprint is greater to the north of the airport than it is to the south. http://www.sjc.org/community/maps/3q09.pdf

14. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I just passed by the site on the Caltrain towards San Jose...

all i can say is its great seeing those construction vehicles moving around and doing something! great to see something positive brewing for my both my teams on a monday morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO QUAKES!

15. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  17. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most excellent! And yeah, Big Thanks to the FO and Lew and John!!

Rockin' Cool!

I am pumped. And as Doyle and Alioto said. This will help the team to prepare and stay focused on the business at hand. It will make the rest of their hectic lives easier as well, which I hope contributes to more focus on training and kicking butt.

Go Quakes!! :D

- Mark

18. bri637

bri637 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    San Bruno, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just noticed in the Weekly Update posted on the Quakes website here this morning that the complex is named the "Nutrilite Training Center".

19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey that's not bad. Nutrilite is a supplement Amway sells if I'm not mistaken. Makes more sense with it being a training center.

20. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have any pics yet?

21. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm sure it looks like a field.

22. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but it's OUR field. That makes it a special field that I'd like to see...:D

23. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fuaeg posted a couple a few days ago. It was just a patch of dirt. I suspect there will be more when they actually get somewhere with it.

24. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would expect the name of the training facility will not be one of Amways products (but Marketing is 'Marketing'). Hopefully, the Quakes got a little extra $$ for the release of the Nutrilite announcement.

25. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    =did not read the whole post, but i am really happy this is happening. Questions=
    =How much $ is the facility going to cost?
    =Is this the field that would be sitting behind your double sided scoreboard in the new stadium?
    =Is there room for a 2nd say turf field or any more fields for the matter?
    =Does that take away from parking?
    =Seems to me Wolf is trying at least.. puts a stadium plan out, now a training home... is he trying to convince the local's he serious and needs some more help... or..... is he trying to make things look better to get another partner .... or sell?
    =Would selling the team do any good at this point?
    =IS he too self consumed with baseball?
    =Does a new owner really help?
    =Say a new owner with lots of $$$ comes in. Can he build the stadium on the same land and use all the agreements there are in place at this time?
    =Or is Wolf simply better to get a partner to chip in and reduce his exposure?
    =
    SJ is still our natural rival.. The GOATS are artificially made rival...
    California needs SJ to be strong, as I really doubt SanDiego or any other city will get a MLS team if the league caps at 20 like they say
    =
    Would also be nice to see the high speed rail train get built in my lifetime. Imagine a whole train load of fans going up to a game and back in the same day !