Earthquakes - MetroStars (Sunday, 10/5) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by babytiger2001, Oct 5, 2003.

1. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As to the other stuff, is that not to be expected? If the team didn't go into the game today expecting that treatment, then they've got a ton more work to do than we think. But I'm sure they expected it.

I hope they expected it.... They're the best team in the league. They're starting forwards just scored two hat tricks in the previous two games. Teams are going to do whatever it takes to stop them. Yes, you're right, this is exactly what we're going to see. It ain't gonna be pretty from here on out.

2. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Re: Re: Preview of things to come - metrostars tactics

Ok, that's it. From here on out, I'm giving up my cushy midfield seats to lend my vocal chords to the Casbah.

3. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    At this point, I would advocate that the Quakes play the rest of their games at the Stick... assuming a deal could be reached.

Seriously, this team needs a big field to shine... a stark contrast to last year.

4. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    It doesn't matter whether or not there was contact. How you can justify Landon's actions is beyond me.

Also, the second replay I believe clearly showed that there was contact.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I completely agree!

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

6. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks so much for posting this. I never would have known, and I forgot to set my VCR today!

7. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, maybe they expected it, and maybe they didn't--I think they didn't. However, that is the way that crap teams are going to play them so they had better be ready for it next time. I like porkrind's term: "Ray Hudson Soccer." Couldn't have put it better, and that from the great Bob Bradley. Horse manure! And, Arisrules, I am not going to justify Landon's attack on Johnny Walker, it's just hard to see how a 5'7" guy can beat the crap out of another guy over 6 feet tall and do it so well. I had a buddy in the army who was 5'4", weighed about 130 pounds soaking wet, and I witnessed him kick the sh!t out of three marines, all of them over six feet, so maybe it's possible. Man, I didn't realize LDog was that tough. :p

8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're welcome. Anything for my favorite sjqf. I just checked again and DishTv guide says that the rerun is from 11 p.m to 1 a.m. (PDT), so any of you who didn't get it can still record (or just watch it)..

9. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    No trolling, I dont get this whole size relevance thing. What does Landon throwing an elbow at Walker while Walkers in midair with his hands above his head have to do with LD "beating him up"?

Lurking: There was no contact on Leitch when he whiffed? Like I said it was tough to see. I didnt see the contact so much as I saw Leitch's leg react to the contact. Of note too was that no one complained about it being disallowed.
    For the offsides call on Dero, I agree, he looked level, aka onsides to me. To be honest tho, thats the only bad call against SJ I noticed. (Conceding that I may have tinted glasses, of course.)

10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the subject of that thread which I felt was thoughtful enough (where did it go?), I was in the middle of typing out this thought...

Don't forget the bunkering strategy-- which, to give credit to the MetroStars, they did that very well today. I don't like it on merit, but I can't argue with the usefulness of the strategy.

In addition to defending well in numbers and having midfielders like Gaven and Guevara who are great at holding the ball, consider the following...

They shut up shop and countered, and rather quickly in the second half, I might add, too. This was an observation I made on the PbP thread.

That basically was the start of hitting the game over the head with an ugly stick, proverbially speaking. I'm sure that other teams, when protecting leads at Spartan or anywhere else.

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp How will the other sjqf's feel now that they know that they're not your favorites? :eek:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

12. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't an offside call. The flag was never up. It had to be something else.

13. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's 11:00 p.m. and ESPN2 has the second half of the US and GWNT game in the WWC. We'll see if the bastards are going to have the MLS game on at 12:00M and are just moving the schedule up.

14. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're not trolling, then get the hell out of here.

15. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like we're screwed all the way around. No rebroadcast of today's game on ESPN2. Not on now, and I checked their listings on the net to see if it might be on later today. Nothing. Bad day all the way around.

16. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a complete over-reaction to what Donovan did. Should he have been carded? You betcha. It should have been a second yellow and he's off the field. But the rest of what you say is nonsense. Walker milked it (just like Guevarra on somebody's tackle, when on the replay it shows he wasn't touched.) There was no malicious intent, there was no way he was going to hurt Walker because he barely got him. It was simple frustration, and like I said, deserved to be carded. But anything beyond that is nonsense. At your suggestion, how about the crack in the head by Rusty Pierce to Donovan a few games ago that was malicious, and yet no card was given. Because Donovan wasn't a keeper, that doesn't deserve any review? Not justifying what Donovan did, just saying what he did was no worse than what your Clint does or anyone else. Just seems everyone holds this kid up to a different standard. He deserved a sending off, but nothing more.

17. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just want summarize the contentious points

(i) DeRo's goal should have counted. He never touched Leitch and there was no other SJ player near. If just fell trying to stretch for the ball.

(ii) DeRo was called back for off-side. I must admit I never saw a flag on the TV, but, I wasn't paying attention to it. If there was no flag St. Silva must have made the call.

(iii) The late cancelled out goal was a blatent hand-ball by Walker for which he was rightly carded.

(iv) Obviously St. Silva did not believe in carding for any off-the ball (or rather late) incidents as he did not card Jolley for his attack on Roner which was more dangerous than Landons misguided challenge on Walker. I do believe as I said earlier that he should have had a yellow, and therfore second yellow. However, it did appear as if Mr Walker did take acting lessons from his buddy Gueverra, who again was a disgrace in a couple of incidents with his performances. Why do such great players have to spoil themselves?

I also thought this game was one of the worst tactically played by the Quakes I've seen in a long time. The Metros were clogging up the middle and we kept going that way. The only handful of time we went wide we looked dangerous. I think it was obvious Frank had other things (like his wife) on his mind.

-Richard

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can NOT believe that! :eek: I believe you, but I can't believe it. I swear I never saw a flag. But I can't say that I looked for it immediately cuz I wasn't thinking he was offside. Did anyone at the stadium see a flag? And Silva (he ain't no saint) was not in a position to make that call.

The player on the field who needs to be reviewed is not Landon. It was the guy in black.

20. JaguarCRO

JaguarCRO New Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Sunnyvale,CA
    I talked to Jamil Walker after the game at the Shake With the Quakes event and he said that he got a shove from behind. He had no intention of hitting the ball with his hand and he didn't have a choice as the shove sent him to the ground and just instictively put out his hands.

Walker appealed but it was all for not and that might have been why he got booked and not the "hand ball", although I don't know that for certain. (He didn't say)

He said that Gus called a trip on DeRosario's goal to call the goal back. I was sitting within about 30 yards from the supposed place where this happened and I didn't see a thing.

I was willing to throw the game out last year as an anomally that Gus St. Silva reffed. Now I am certain he has something against the Quakes. Walker felt that he had some sort of grudge against them.

21. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the worst games I've ever seen. Between the horribly mangled (due to American football) pitch at Spartan, and also of course it being so narrow, and the Quakes not giving a rat's #ss about this game, and no one showing any touch out there, and the Quakes getting frustrated and Donovan playing stupid, it was pathetic.

And, o yea, did I mention the ref was beyond lame and let the game get totally out of control and it's lucky no one died? What an incompetent that guy is?

Unfortunately this game was broadcast nationally and over 10,000 showed up. Would have been much better if it was a closed-door scrimmage closed to media and non-media members alike.

22. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, I was embarrased by the Quakes actions and play on Sunday. The team lost composure and acted like a bunch of kids, especially Waibel and Donovan. Sure, the official was a factor, but let's be professional. Donovan cheap shot should have had him tossed from the game. I don't care whether Walker was barely hit or "milked it". The elbow was just plain stupid. Guevera played a good game and we kept trying to hack him down (see Roner). Why? Other than a cheap shot on Mullan near the touch line, the Metrostars played a hard and fair game. I hope the coaching staff rings the team a new a$$hole.

Sorry, I expect more from a first place team. If this was going to be the level of effort put out by the team, why not put in some of the bench players? It's obvious that Faria isn't in playing shape and needs more playing time. We need as many bodies in form and shape for the playoffs in case of injuy or suspension.

Really, the game should have been tied 1 to 1 at half. However, with the lack of composure in the second half, we were lucky it didn't end up 4-0. Onstad made some outstanding saves which kept the Quakes in the match until the 90 minute.

Waibel, Roner, and Ekelund had really poor games as far as passing the ball. Their failure to clear the ball led to the first goal. Too many short touch passes in crowded spaces...

Sorry for the rambling. I haven't been this frustrated at the team since they were named the Clash! However, I expect them to be much more focused against Colorado and LA in the last three games in the season. From a mental perspective, we have to tie/beat Colorado.

23. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I know exactly how you feel. I actually left the game early just to leave the game. I haven't done that EVER. Not even when they were the Clash. Very frustrating game!

24. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > I swear I never saw a flag.

There doesn't have to be a flag. The ref is responsible for all calls - the side judges are just there to help him. The ref can call offside when there is no flag, and can let play continue when a flag goes up.

25. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it was about the shabbiest performance that this team (that of the last three seasons) has ever put in. But let me tell you right now who is responsible for it. It's that guy up in the announcer's booth who said this was "Your Western Conference Champion San Jose Earthquakes." That threw the jinx in. If he jinxes the team again like this we'll have to substitute him with that tall one who runs around with the mike telling what row the pizza goes to. :D