Earthquake!!

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by IBleedTeal, Sep 9, 2004.

1. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    At ~2 AM last night :)

It was cool..

I just thought i'd share.

Have a nice day.

2. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And how long have you been living in California? I don't even live in California anymore and they still fail to impress me.

My manager told me the fault lines run through the hills near where I live. My reaction: Eh...it's just earthquakes.

:p

3. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the USGS website:

A minor earthquake occurred at 3:32:29 AM (PDT) on Thursday, September 9, 2004.
    The magnitude 3.4 event occurred 2 km (1 miles) E of Saratoga, CA.
    The hypocentral depth is 4 km ( 2 miles).

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/nc40160942.htm

3.4 is nothing to sneeze at. Hmmm...this really shallow quake was practically right underneath me. I was awake, but felt nothing! :eek:

I hate the literal ground-shaking variety of Earthquakes!

fwiw - there were two tiny (1.something) aftershocks. One just minutes after the 3.4 and then again and around 5 am this morning.

Can you tell I'm still traumatized by the '89 quake?

4. LizAFC

LizAFC New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    San Jose
    For the longest time I thought I caused the '89 earthquake. I was 4.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I was about a month shy of 18, in my first semester at San Jose State University (having graduated high school earlier that year). :eek:

Damn, I'm old! :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

6. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is so incredibly cute!!

I hope your ego from back then has balanced out! :p

7. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was scary for her though, she fell and hit the ground at the exact moment it started.

People think i'm a bit weird for saying this, but i would really like to experience an earthquake. I've known nothing in my life like it (or so i would assume). Just seems like something i'd like to do once. Doesn't need to be a big one or last very long...

8. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, my first couple of quakes experienced upon moving to CA in 1986 were fun. Kind of made me feel dizzy and a bit disoriented...like a little buzz.

But after '89, I could happily live without experiencing another quake of ANY magnitude for the rest of my life.

One thing that I will be forever grateful for is that my son was only 10 months old at the time and my pre-teen daughters were out of state. None of them had to go through what Liz went through.

9. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in 1st grade in '79 and we had a pretty decent quake. I remember I was playing around shaking my head and coincidentally a quake hit. I was looking at my teacher waiting for her to scold me !

10. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    oh no! all along, I thought Goosdport was older than me and now I find out the truth?

Damn, I'm even older! :(

11. Jay Cee

Jay Cee New Member

Jul 9, 2002
    San Jose
    I felt it, it woke me up at 3:30am in the morning!!

12. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I was ready to move the next day. I don't ever want to experience anything like that again.

Course, experiencing tornadoes here in Texas is no piece of cake either. But at least you know they're coming!!

On a side note: I, too, am totally disillusioned by Goodsports age! Gosh, we're not even close. If he thinks he's old, what am I!! :) I can't even think about it.

13. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're finally getting wise to Goodsport's schtick! ;)

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schtick? :confused:

15. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    shtick also schtick or shtik ( P ) Pronunciation Key (shtk)
    n. Slang
    1. A characteristic attribute, talent, or trait that is helpful in securing recognition or attention: waiters in tropical attire are part of the restaurant's shtick.
    2. An entertainment routine or gimmick.

[Yiddish shtik, piece, routine, from Middle High German stücke, piece, from Old High German stukki, crust, fragment.]

16. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It felt bigger than a 3.4, probably because I live just about directly above the epicenter, and because I live in a poorly constructed townhome.

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what the word "schtick" means, but what does it have to do with me and my oldness? :confused:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

18. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud New Member

Apr 5, 2003
    Mountain View
    Rats I slept through last nights quake.

I lived in CA for 18 years and only felt one small quake, then I went to Japan and in 18 months we had four pretty good sized ones. CA seemed pretty calm to me until '89. The big quake got the adrenline going but it was the bigger after shocks that bothered me more for some reason.

19. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're a lot more frequent in Japan, deeper so that they're felt over wider areas. The earthquakes also differ in type because of differing tectonics. The bastards are scary anywhere you are, though.

20. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Silly people.. We get quakes that size almost everyday and unless you are on top of them, most are not noticed but by a few.
    Here's the USGS's daily current quakes page for the state..

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/

You can click on the map to zoom in..After you zoom in if you click again it will give you all the details of each quake.

21. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ack, Loma Prieta (sp?) rocked while I was at work, at a job I'd had since I graduated college from Missouri (the black hole of Missouri, Rolla) in '85.

Tell me I'm not the oldest... :(

22. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Holy cow. I played on the post soccer team at Fort Leonard Wood in '85, and we scrimmaged UMR a couple times. We used to drive to Rolla all the time on weekends (they had Taco Bell and relatively current movies).

I was in the second deck in left field at Candlestick for Loma Prieta, and didn't feel last night's quake in Mountain View (I was still awake).

23. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just went to school there and played intermural footy, (GDI and Campus Club from 82 to 84, then a symester in 85)

The 11:30 dirties! You got there too late to enjoy the deep fried mushrooms at the Top Hat bar. They were awsome until some time in 83

Wow, now, Ft. Leonard Wood was north of Rolla on 36 or did you get there from 44 (E or W)?

24. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    44 E, after going out the main gate and taking the spur through St. Robert to the highway. About a 25 min. drive, IIRC.

25. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I grew up in tornado country and I'd take a tornado any time.

As for Goodie, if he was 17 in October 1989, by my calculations he's still on the sunny side of 35, which makes him pre-middle-aged and definitely not AARP material.