Earthquake/Tsunami

Discussion in 'Japan' started by LASA, Mar 11, 2011.

1. mushu21

mushu21 Member

May 18, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  2. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
  3. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    AKB48 donates 500 million yen . If you limit it as person , Kume Hirosh donates 200 million yen and Ichiro donates 100 million yen , and I read many celeb in America , Euro, Asia donates. But is there really need to make list and compare them? All thanks to people not only who donates or but also made message to support.

Anyway, so far rain did not dramatically affect observation value of radioactive ray in Kanto. Just two or three times as before rain. Rapid temporal rise in Ibaraki this early morning might be caused not by rain.(Probably something happened in Fukushima atomic power plant)
    But these are only some places I can get information, so I am not sure. But Anyway you should not be exposed to rain directly especially (especially if you live near Fukushima) . I read rain can be dangerous So be carefull. And if you live in Japan, you should check yourself.

Here is English monitaring site of radio active ray in Tokyo Shinjuku.
    http://113.35.73.180/monitoring/index-e.html

Other monitaring site of radioactive ray I know(though Japanese)

Ibaraki
    http://www.houshasen-pref-ibaraki.jp/present/result01.html

Saitama
    http://www.pref.saitama.lg.jp/page/housyasenryou.html

Kanagawa
    http://www.atom.pref.kanagawa.jp/cgi-bin2/telemeter_map.cgi?Area=all&Type=WL

Sendai ( tohoku university)
    http://www.bureau.tohoku.ac.jp/anzen/monitoring/

If too many people access those web site, those site may stop, so if you do not live in Japan and don't need those information, I hope you don't access those web site needlessly.

4. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Currently They say they found smoke from atomic plant at Fukushima, so People who live in Tohoku and Kanto may need more caution.
    But I am not expert and I don't want to post uncertain thing more, so I stop posting about radioactive ray. Anyways thanks to everyone who make message to support Japan.

5. Premiere

Premiere Member

May 23, 2005
    Japan is no longer rich. I think the financial damage of the disaster might be even more problematic for Japan than other countries. I mean, some developing countries like China, Brazil and Indies have much population (especially younger), passion and power for reconstruction, but Japan is currently on the edge of declination for the next decades. Japan can recover, but no longer has leeway to surpass its prime :(

Anyway, I was deeply impressed that many football-related person, club, associations supported Japan lately. Even those without any Japanese player gave the biggest condolences.

6. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    No. Japan is effing rich and will do fine (as these things go). You want to see what a country not coping looks like? It's called Haiti.

7. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well, Haiti is an extreme example where the government is inept and powerless, there's no infrastructure, the economy was dependent on tourism, building codes were ignored (if there were any), and the social fabric was strained by crushing poverty and disenfranchisement. So yeah, Japan is better off compared to that.

While being the third largest economy does provide some relief, I think it's foolish to ignore the hurdles. The "lost decade" and the government's pandering to the aging population means there's little entrepreneurship that's going to lead the recovery. Japan's indebtedness (seriously, look at the debt-to-GDP ratio) and the decline of the banks means there isn't as much money to go around. And the lack of natural resources will always be an issue (which is why the country was so reliant on nuclear power to begin with).

I think Japan will recover, and I hope that this tragedy will ignite a fire that's been missing since the 90s. But to say "Japan is effing rich" feels extremely naive.

8. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Sorry to brake previous words, but I want one more addition.
    Yesterday rain affected to running water(tap water)

http://atmc.jp/ame/ (Japanese source)

Not to mention Fukushima(where there is no data because earthquake broke gauges), some neighbor prefecture 's data is high,especially Ibaraki.
    If there is still foreign citizen who is near Fukushima, I hope you go away there. Especially If you do not understand Japanese well and can't get information, then so much more you should avoid risk( though even I can't get enough information currently to advice others , honestly )

9. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I thought I read that 95% of Japan's debt was owed to its own citizens. I think you're being harsh on the post you're responding to. The same kind of response could be made to "the US is effing rich," and yet it's still true, despite everything. Japan is better equipped to deal with all this than any country with less wealth, which is most countries.

10. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    I appreciate your posts, tako. Your perspective is similar to that of my friends in Tokyo and Yokohama.

11. nieselregen

nieselregen Member

Jan 25, 2010
  12. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Oh, thanks. I have strong conflicted feeling, I don't want to post uncertain thing, but I think there is risk especialy for foreigner(partly because it is more hard for thme to get information) , even if you live not so near Fukushima. Also there is supply shortage in Kanto. My brother does not live near Fukushima, but currently his wife and child went away to Osaka(where her parents live). If you have risk , you better move away.

13. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    True. Although I think there has been an over-reaction by many foreigners based in Tokyo, leaving the country in a panic.

And I know about the shortages in Kanto. Although toilet paper was finally available yesterday, so it might be improving a little ;) I just hope it gets better for people in Tohoku as soon as possible.

14. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  15. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    So you still stay in Tokyo? Yes, people in Tohoku are now suffering a tragic catastrophe, you can't compare situation of Tohoku and Kanto(Tokyo). but I don't think it is an over-reaction for foreigners based in Tokyo to leave Tokyo. If I live aboard and there is big disaster in that country, I will go back to Japan. Your parents will be now very concerned for you. No your Japanese friends can assure your safety especially if situation go worse. Foreigners have far more risk and trouble than Japanese who are far more experienced in situation here Japan, We know it. So don't hesitate to go back to your country.

Anyway, yes, shortage of toilet paper is troubling. Even though Japan invented Washlet, you must use toilet paper at the end. If there was not Washlet, situation would be far worse. I think one additional reason of shortage of toilet papar is because many have persistent diarrhea due to anxiety, haha.

16. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    I think you need to distinguish between blind panic and actual precautionary measures. If you move from Tokyo to Osaka, and your company will pay for the move, thats one thing. But to leave Japan altogether is insane. When you fly on an airplane you get exposed to high levels of radiation, and when you go through the airport scanner you get even more. According to the "Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists":

------------------
    In Tokyo, at one point the radiation level rose to a peak of 0.809 microsievert (0.0008 millisieverts) per hour, about 23 times as high as on a normal day, but a tiny fraction of the roughly 400 to 600 microsieverts a human body receives from one X-ray. Leaving Japan by plane is also a source of radiation. Flying at 40,000 feet exposes one to radiation of as much as 9 microsieverts per hour, and just passing through the backscatter scanning equipment at US airports exposes one to between 500 and 1000 microsieverts.
    -------------

In other words if you stay in Tokyo and even if the radiation stayed STEADILY at the highest level it EVER reached during the crisis, it would take 1164 hours (48 1/2 days) before you received as much radiation as you get from taking one trip from Tokyo to LA.

If the plants had actually blown up, I can understand people wanting to leave. But to leave based on the radiation levels they are reporting now is - quite simply - crazy. I know that radiation is a scary thing because you cant see it, and the media tries to frighten you with scare stories. But at the end of the day, radiation is a natural part of the world and people need to understand that.

Even sunlight is radiation. So is volcanic activity. Burning cigarettes generate low levels of radiation, as does burning charcoal ("sumi"). You get more radiation from a trip to Beppu onsen than you would get from eating Ibaraki spinach every day for the next month. But that doesnt stop people from smoking cigarretes, sunbathing, sitting around the Irori, or going to the onsen.

Unless some big radiation surge is reported, I really think people need to stop posting about this topic, all you are doing is feeding the media frenzy, and it doesnt do anyone any good.

17. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I don't want feeding the media frenzy. I will stop posting about this subject more. I hope foreingers in Japan can get enough and useful information and do right for them and stay safe.

18. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    I suppose if one is working in a foreign country, but not a permanent resident, I can understand them leaving. Many people who are permanent residents have said they love Japan but are leaving now - I can't understand that so much. I realise it's easier to say these things from a distance, though I stayed in China through SARS, and before that when there were riots against foreigners - but unfortunately I'm not in Japan now to support my friends and loved ones.

haha, maybe ne, especially after today's aftershocks/earthquakes. But I just chose toilet paper as an example. I've been sent several photos in the last few days of empty shelves at supermarkets, and my 'in-laws' are making do on as little as possible - not just because of shortages, but for the people of Tohoku.

19. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
  20. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Currently there is supply shortage even in Kanto, so if someone has place to move, it also benefit people who are in Kanto. Even my sister-in-law(Japanese) moved. Anyway wherever people are, we appricate their message of support. It encourage Japanese.

And Making do on as little as possible - not just because of shortages, but for the people of Tohoku , who is suffering great hardship is good intention. Though I think currently except for gasoline, supply shortage is mostly due to lack of means of conveyance . They say many times "there are enough inventories, so do not panic." I believe goverment and aid community can get it directly from wholesale trade and makers by priority, but it is difficult to hand over people in Tohoku especially who are isolated.

Anyways, I read Australia send something like big automatic water cannon car, china send big concrete pump car which can send big water. Both will help workmens who are doing their risky work for Japan in Fukushima.
    US military forces are doing large-sized rescue effort in Tohoku , many country also sent rescue workers.
    All thanks to them.

21. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Guys, sorry for the late message. I hope you're all doing well. My thoughts are with the people of Japan. And I think you have once again proven yourself to be a remarkably civilized , disciplined, and resilient nation. I am sure you will come out of this ordeal, a stronger nation. Stay safe.

22. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    One thing that I am surprised to not see is the impact of robotics. Surely after this terrible series of disasters, robotics and remote systems and equipment will be developed so that less people are needed to go so close to the ultra-dangerous areas in the future.

23. nieselregen

nieselregen Member

Jan 25, 2010
  24. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I read electronic hardware is damaged by strong radioactive ray , but also there are some developement by military researchers in US. After this disaster I think more reserchars develop more seriously though.

25. mushu21

mushu21 Member

May 18, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I read that actually it WAS a robot in Fukushima nuclear plant, but the cost to maintain it was too high so the robot was dismissed. This type of robot is designed to work mainly in nuclear plant, and is loaded the map of buildings, undergrounds... in it memory so it could move freely on its own.

The point is, Fukushima nuclear plant is very old, (was built in 1973?) is supposed to be posponed soon, so they don't want to maintain this kind of costly robot for it.

The newer types of nuclear plant are supposed to have this kind of robot